Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang Poachers

A suppressed 22 or other gun. Around here they do it at night. And yes, they are the scum of the earth.

They say over 550,000 people will be in Michigan, largely in the northern half of the state, to hunt deer. Huge impact on the economies of many areas. Not to mention since most hunters are fairly good about valuing the woods and waters in general they add to the economic value of preserving those areas for all outdoor activities.

While deer can and do jump out of nowhere into cars or their paths I'm not going to be totally sympathetic as long as I see people doing 60 mph at dusk on the roads around here. You drive fast at dawn or dusk, or at night in deer country you sort of invite problems. I do know of cases where the deer hit the side of the car, literally jumping over a fence into the side of a passing car. However people also fail to take precautions which accounts for at least some of the car deer collisions.

If you drive back roads make note of where you see road kill deer. I'm sure it wasn't the only one in the area or the only one using that route to get someplace deer want to go. I have seen deer in the locations of past road kill many times. I'm that annoying guy doing 43 mph at dusk through those areas. Now you know why.

Poachers are mostly cheaters by another name. If a man will cheat then it is a good bet he will lie and steal. Not seeing much upside to folks that act that way. There are some folks for whom bagging game is the difference between meat on the menu or not but that is rare compared to the amount of poaching that takes place. Some pretty nice vehicles and firearms getting confiscated from folks that make it hard to believe they are just trying to eat. Noise suppressor and night vision scope could cover a lot of hamburger and hot dogs for sure.

As for disease vector how much of that is from machine driven bait piles that have deer eating nose to nose all in one spot from multiple herds? People did that, not the deer. Always was a bit skeptical of bait bins. Admired the fellows that planted random patches of grazing plants to help encourage deer and provide a normal grazing experience.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Playing the devils advocate, are you absolutely sure they shot a deer, and shot it illegally? It seems odd to me that someone would go out in the middle of the day in plain sight, obviously be made by you, and likely others. Then while you are within earshot, shoot a deer, and drag it out of a what I can only assume is a wide open field since you could see deer from the road. They would have to be some mighty bold and stupid poachers. I have no idea where you are, I'm again making an assumption that you do not have a firearms deer season open including a youth season. I doubt a bow makes that much noise, some are louder. Some crossbows make a decent crack. Maybe they did shoot a bow, and what you heard was a rock from a tire. My mud tires will throw up stones into the body loud enough to make me about knock over my drink. Even if it were a rifle, who's to say they shot a deer, and not some other animal? Turkey season is open right now in a lot of states, and rifle hunting is common in the fall.

All I'm saying is look at all the possibilities, before we lambast some guy you saw with binoculars as a poacher.
    Around here it's illegal to shoot from a vehicle. If caught you loose your firearm, a bunch of money AND your vehicle. These perps were up to no good and you know it!

Boolit Master
    We have some poachers around here. Last couple years around late November early December I'll see a white 4x4 go hauling it across the top of the hill across from my house. It will slam on the brakes i hear 2 or 3 shots and then they go pick up a deer or two and gas it out of there. From the time they come across the top of the ridge till they drive off is maybe 2 minutes. They know their business.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Around here it's illegal to shoot from a vehicle. If caught you loose your firearm, a bunch of money AND your vehicle. These perps were up to no good and you know it!
    There is absolutely no evidence that they shot from a vehicle. Rockrat did not even hint at such a thing. He saw someone looking out a window at a field with binoculars. Heard an odd noise some time later that he admits did not sound like a gun shot, and then found blood where the truck was parked. That's the entirety of what we know. Nobody can even be sure it was deer blood, or even animal blood. I pray you never end up on my jury.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Caught 2 on the game camera, Sent the pictures to the local Diary Queen, 15 minutes later I had names and some background dirt.

Shop you're local D.Q. for information.

Banned
    I used to hear plenty of shooting day and night. Still doesn't mean poachers. Coyote and coon hunting is quite popular at night. I hear most coyotes at dusk, but I'd guess 95% or better of my trail camera pictures of them are midnight to 4am.
    yeahhh everyone knows the best way to hunt a raccoon is with a .243 or .308... sure yeah,,, wanna buy some bridge stocks i have?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    yeahhh everyone knows the best way to hunt a raccoon is with a .243 or .308... sure yeah,,, wanna buy some bridge stocks i have?
    In my home state centerfire rifles have been legal for night hunting coyotes since the mid 80's. With snow and a clear night, a fully moon and a 50mm scope I have killed many coyotes using a .243 in the middle of the night. With the advent of affordable night vision scopes it is very common now. Racoons still only can be taken with traps or rimfires at night.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    I've only ever used 3 guns to shoot racoon and coyote. A 6mm Remington, a 308 Winchester, and a 12 gauge shotgun. You can throw fox in that mix too. I can't imagine a better night or day varmint gun than a 243/6mm Remington, along with a 12 gauge for close shots. Mind you hunting with dogs, generally have special regulations. I've only ever shot raccoon as varmint on private land, and never in a tree. Growing up in rural MN, you hear shooting day and night, it's just the way things are. I think it is a great thing. I hear night shooting from time to time here in SD, but we are so much more spread out, I can barely hear the neighbor shooting, and the next guy over is out of hearing range except on dead calm days.

Banned
    Times are getting tough , a person can imagine poaching is going to be on the rise , not everyone out there is keen on signing up for the dole .
    I'm not gonna hold a grudge against those trying to keep food on the table ... take a circle around a grocery store if you haven't been inside one for awhile .

Boolit Master
    Playing the devils advocate, are you absolutely sure they shot a deer, and shot it illegally? It seems odd to me that someone would go out in the middle of the day in plain sight, obviously be made by you, and likely others. Then while you are within earshot, shoot a deer, and drag it out of a what I can only assume is a wide open field since you could see deer from the road. They would have to be some mighty bold and stupid poachers. I have no idea where you are, I'm again making an assumption that you do not have a firearms deer season open including a youth season. I doubt a bow makes that much noise, some are louder. Some crossbows make a decent crack. Maybe they did shoot a bow, and what you heard was a rock from a tire. My mud tires will throw up stones into the body loud enough to make me about knock over my drink. Even if it were a rifle, who's to say they shot a deer, and not some other animal? Turkey season is open right now in a lot of states, and rifle hunting is common in the fall.

All I'm saying is look at all the possibilities, before we lambast some guy you saw with binoculars as a poacher.
    yea seems some folks think the worst of others especially if they aint getting their share of game.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I fail to see how one can ride around all night with high fuel cost's and then claim poaching due to financial hardship???

They two don't go together....Unless the poacher has an E.V ? Or the poacher has an unlimited fuel supply from a tank or pipeline.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    redneck1 - Agree with you that as the times get tougher, there is bound to be more poaching . . . and I have no gouda for a man having to put food on the table for his family. My wife was born and raised in thee UP - her Dad was a DNR Forester - my Wife's God Father was the DNR LEO. Taking deer out of season was not uncommon by those who were struggling to make ends meet and trying to put food on the table . . . those things were understood and a blind eye was often turned to it. We all know how the prices are raising on food and everything else . . . my wife went to the store the other day looking for a roast to fix . . she came home shaking her head android it wold be a cold day in hell before she paid $40 for a roast . . . we had fish instead.

What does tick me off though are poachers who do it for fun. I can't begin to tell you how many times i found deer carcasses on the farm where someone shot a big buck, obviously had a saw with them and they would cut off the skull cap and horns and leave the deer to rot. In a local community, it doesn't take long to find out who is doing such things. The guy who was doing this was a fellow that everyone thought was a big 'sportsman" . guess it depends on your definition of what a sportsman is.

Boolit Master

My neighbor asked to borrow my UTV to go retrieve a deer he shot during muzzleloader season. I said sure and told him to return it when I was off of work.

He sent me pictures of the deer and I was a bit upset. In our area, it is bucks only and they have to have 3-points per side or better. His was clearly a 2-point. He said he couldn't tell how many points it had when it was looking straight at him.

The DNR folks are very pro-active out here and like to go after hunters. Had one happened to come across him transporting an illegal buck with my UTV, they would have seized his rifle and my UTV and gone after me for aiding and abetting a poacher.

I won't be loaning him my UTV ever again. I don't respect slob hunters.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Mary, that's a heck of a story. At the very least he'd have had a few broken bones from me for pointing a gun at me. Something for him to think about in the lockup with other people there who might think he was cute. Nothing gets me riled up more than to have a gun pointed at me. I don't do it to others and I expect others to treat me with the same courtesy, but to do it and back it up with a threat constitutes deadly force. I hope he lost the ability to legally possess any firearm for life also. What a scumbag!
    2-3 years later he murdered a dude in WI in an argument over a tree stand, he was a trespasser again... that case made national news

Moderator Emeritus

One local family that works hard but all minimum wage jobs(all they are capable of) is known for taking a 2-3 deer a year to feed the family. They stick to their own farm site(20 acres, mostly swamp) and most turn a blind eye to it. they pad it with a couple hogs and chickens plus legal small game hunting that they do buy licenses for. They run trap lines but fur prices barely make that worth it anymore, big thing is trapping out nuisance beaver for farmers and they charge $10 a beaver plus keep and eat the beaver in cold weather. Simple hard working folks who don't have much of anything.. no cell phones, they do have a landline via that low income program(I told them about Obamaphones but they said cell phones are to complicated), they have 1 old tube type TV with a converter box and get 3 off the air channels... you could plop them into the 50's and they would fit in! They have 2 old beat up pickups they scavenge parts form from local wrecking yards... they define poor yet are to proud to do welfare, they grow a huge garden(and make a little cash selling excess produce), hunt, grow a few animals, heat with wood and will come remove a dead tree if you ask and it is decent firewood, they took some ash down for me that borer beetles killed.

I have no problem with someone poaching a deer out of need, but that is a low percentage of poaching around here. Most are poaching for antlers either too brag about or sell. i will say I wonder why pride interferes with the poor taking legal help, but doesn’t count when they are breaking the law( poaching or stealing). We also have a poaching problem from a group that won’t drive/own a car or own a phone, but not hesitate to use their neighbors.

Boolit Grand Master
    To me at least, its one thing to have meat on the table, like MaryB's story above, but another thing to shoot a buck and just take the horns and leave the rest to rot. We have had that happen not too far away. People could use that meat, heck, give the meat to a food bank and keep the horns if thats all you want. Don't let it go to waste.

Moderator Emeritus

Local sheriff will take an anonymous tip of a deer carcass that can be harvested and call the closest person on their roadkill deer list(I am on the list, got a nice doe last fall, car hit it and broke 3 legs, sheriff told me to go shoot it and bring it home, he would drop off a possession tag in 2 hours). Poacher could tell a friend who could tell a friend to make the call so not traceable. They don't want it going to waste when there are plenty of people in this county(one of the poorest in MN, only a couple iron range counties are worse) who need the help and free meat is a massive help!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    2-3 years later he murdered a dude in WI in an argument over a tree stand, he was a trespasser again... that case made national news
    Thanks for the update. That's exactly what I would have expected. No surprise. Hopefully he's keeping bubba happy for a very long time. I hope every day is a lifetime of hell for him.
    Let's go Brandon!