Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Way to Start?

Boolit Bub
    LAGS: I looked at the pic. Those look great!

So a t/c renegade under $300 would be a good deal I assume? I’m looking at a couple on gunbroker. Both are 54 cal. One looks like bubba added a Lyman sight and poorly cut the stock. The other looks great in the pics.

I imagine I’ll be more vested in the hobby if it gets to this point but just in case, if I was to hunt black bear would a 50 still be sufficient or would a 54 be more suitable? Would something larger than those be required?

Boolit Grand Master

50 would do it but I'd go with the 54 for the extra edge. Deer it's fine but they don't usually come after you when you shoot them.
    Aim small, miss small!

Check your state ml hunting laws. Some only allow traditional rifles, others don't care. Check the minimum caliber too. Then decide if you want modern or traditional, if you really want a challenge get a flintlock. My first was a .45 longrifle that I built, next was a .58 hawken that morphed into an underhammer. Killed a number of deer with it then. Minimum caliber for me would be a .50. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want a flintlock I would suggest you get a caplock first, simply because a good flintlock is expensive. Finding a caplock right after hunting season is likely and that gives you all winter and spring and summer to learn to use it well and accurate.
    He already stated that .40 in minimum for deer in his state. If you intend to hunt bear with one I would get a .58 caliber and always hunt with someone else because if you wound one you will not have time to reload! Same goes for boar - which are actually more dangerous to the hunter than a bear.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Imho... I'd carry a walker loaded to 60 grains with some .454's over top... For close encounters...

Boolit Mold
    Check out Dixie Gun Works for their rifle kits. I've built two Pedersoli rifles, one caplock Hawken and a flintlock scout rifle. These are level one, mostly light wood shaping and finishing and brass polishing. Both are good shooters and were a lot of fun to build. Best of luck!