Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30cal 308 mold suggestion

30cal 308 mold suggestion

Looking to start casting for my Rem 700 in 308 1:12 twist. So i need to stay in the 150-180 range

I've researched a lot and have come up with a few molds that piqued my interest.

RCBS 160-SIL
    30xcb?
    MP 311-180 SIL

I also read about guys using the lee 314-155-160 mold and sizing down.

I'm looking for a GC 2-4 cav mold that will be accurate out to 100 yards. 1 moa if possible. Just for target shooting.

I plan to PC them as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at Arsenal's .30 HVHT 170. http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=86
    It has been working really well for me on paper. Hope to soon see what it does on deer.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

The folks that are winning the cast bullet matches use the Lyman 311299 or 314299.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    311299 is a great bullet design that just plain works.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    311299 is a great bullet design that just plain works.
    i looked into it but i dont think my twist rate can handle 200gn

Boolit Buddy
    I’d say that the twists for cast bullets don’t translate the same as they do for jacketed. The twist plays more with the velocity you can achieve. A 1/12 will allow for higher velocities than 1/10. You should be able to fire 185-200gr bullets with no problem. Heavy for caliber seems to work best. The age old 30-06 bullet that was very popular for over 100 years is the 311284. A 217gr boolit IME.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I’d say that the twists for cast bullets don’t translate the same as they do for jacketed. The twist plays more with the velocity you can achieve. A 1/12 will allow for higher velocities than 1/10. You should be able to fire 185-200gr bullets with no problem. Heavy for caliber seems to work best. The age old 30-06 bullet that was very popular for over 100 years is the 311284. A 217gr boolit IME.
    ok great, i do have a line on a lyman 311299 for about $135 canadian shipped.

I was also looking at the Lee 314-155 2 cav at $50 canadian shipped

Boolit Grand Master
    I could never get cast bullets to shoot accurately. You may get the occasional 1 MOA group but that will not be normal. Lots of accuracy claims should be taken with a grain, or lb, of salt. Some use 3 shot groups and most folks do not shoot enough groups to get a real solid average. There are a lot of rifles that will not hold an average of five 5 shot groups at 1 MOA with decent jacketed bullets.

Below is the national record groups by category.

https://castbulletassoc.org/10%20sho...09-29-2022.pdf

For a production rifle the record for 10 shots is .575" and for a hunting rifle .699. Those are the best groups EVER recorded over decades of shooting and for only one group.

My point, is set reasonable expectations. IMO, if you can average 2" for five 5 shot groups you are doing well. If you get to 1.5" you are doing exceptionally well!!!

Like I said, I could not get the job done with cast and gave up. When I want to shoot small groups at 100 yards and not break the bank, I use a .223 with jacketed bullets. At 50 yards, I use an air rifle.

There are threads from MBT and Larry Gibson on the .30XCB that are worth reading.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I would go with the 311299. That price is a bit steep, but the ‘299s seem to go for more than the usual molds. I bought an Ideal marked 311284 dial cavity for around $80 US not that long ago.

Boolit Buddy
    How close is the Lee 309x 200grain mold to a 311299 clone? Given the prices you are talking I would try that for 50 bucks first. Just my two cents.

Boolit Grand Master

"I'm looking for a GC 2-4 cav mold that will be accurate out to 100 yards. 1 moa if possible. Just for target shooting."

I suggest the 30 XCB NOE 310-165-FN. It is a proven 1 moa bullet in several of my rifles including my 308W with 12" twist. My NOE mould is a 4 cavity aluminum one.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    311413 The Squibb gas check bullet for the Springfield and other .30-06 rifles. Perhaps the most accurate gas check bullet yet produced. Excellent for target practice up to 600 yards. Has also been largely used for small game shooting in the Northwest, particularly for ducks at long range. Makes a most excellent load where one wishes to save the wear on his barrel from the full charged factory cartridge. Powder charge 16 grains Du Pont No. 80 powder, or 23 grains Hercules Lightning powder. Also very good for other 30 calibers. (GC, SP, 169 - TP is 413)

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_B...ets/311413.JPG
    Regards
    John

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The 311413 is accurate, but you will need to keep the velocity sub 1400FPS. 1-2 MOA is probably the most one can expect regarding accuracy. If you want match grade 1 MOA or less, you will need to purchase match bullets. Thats why the CBA postal matches are so difficult, because producing cast bullets with a level of match grade accuracy is a difficult task in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    The 311413 is accurate, but you will need to keep the velocity sub 1400FPS. 1-2 MOA is probably the most one can expect regarding accuracy. If you want match grade 1 MOA or less, you will need to purchase match bullets. Thats why the CBA postal matches are so difficult, because producing cast bullets with a level of match grade accuracy is a difficult task in and of itself.
    Thanks I will look at that.

Funny enough I just won a RCBS 30-180-SP mold at auction along with a Lee 309-130 mold and one handle. For $55 cad. Hoping the RCBS will work out otherwise I will look to buy some more. Need to get a gas check maker in the interim.

Boolit Grand Master

For most of my life I've been a handgun caster , reloader and shooter . I saw the handwriting on the wall a few years ago and decided to get a boolit mould(s) for every rifle I owned ... 30 cal. rifles included : 30-30 Win. , 308 Win . , 30-06 Springfield and 7.5 Swiss (Schmidt-Ruben K11) ...
    At the time moulds were hard to find ... Imagine THAT ... but I scored a Lee C309-170-F and started playing with it ... I meant to buy another ...but the 170 grain boolit sorta fills all the bills pretty good. there are no size issues with my rifles , weight is not too heavy - not too light . No size issues and good groups by all with Red Dot , Unique and 4895 powders were worked up .

Right now we are back into "shortage" mode but if you can lay your hands on the Lee C309-170-F it will work well in the 308 Win. ... sometimes Lee fools you !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    For most of my life I've been a handgun caster , reloader and shooter . I saw the handwriting on the wall a few years ago and decided to get a boolit mould(s) for every rifle I owned ... 30 cal. rifles included : 30-30 Win. , 308 Win . , 30-06 Springfield and 7.5 Swiss (Schmidt-Ruben K11) ...
    At the time moulds were hard to find ... Imagine THAT ... but I scored a Lee C309-170-F and started playing with it ... I meant to buy another ...but the 170 grain boolit sorta fills all the bills pretty good. there are no size issues with my rifles , weight is not too heavy - not too light . No size issues and good groups by all with Red Dot , Unique and 4895 powders were worked up .

Right now we are back into "shortage" mode but if you can lay your hands on the Lee C309-170-F it will work well in the 308 Win. ... sometimes Lee fools you !
    Gary
    I will keep my eyes peeled. I have 4895 that I would like to use for a load but I’m seeing shotgun powder as the go to for cast rifle

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a search for “The Load”. 12gr of Red Dot (Promo) is cheap to shoot and works well in many .30 cal military cartridges.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Do a search for “The Load”. 12gr of Red Dot (Promo) is cheap to shoot and works well in many .30 cal military cartridges.
    Thanks I will