RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman M die vs. Lee universal expander: Seeking comparisons

Boolit Buddy

Lyman M die vs. Lee universal expander: Seeking comparisons

What, if anything, will the Lyman M expander die do when loading cast bullets in 30-06 cases that the less expensive Lee universal expander die cannot do? I am hoping for responses from those who have used both.

I am assuming that since the Lee die is billed as 'universal' it can also be used with the .30 caliber carbine round. I am guessing this is not true of the Lyman M die for 30-06 since Lyman catalogs a separate .30 carbine M die.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lee die only flares the case mouth, it doesn't really expand the neck.

The Lyman M-die expands the neck, then has a step a few thousandths of an inch larger to allow easy projectile alignment and seating. If you go deep enough with the M-die, it also will put a flare on the case mouth, but that usually isn't needed.

I'm not sure the M-die for the .30-06 will adjust down short enough for the .30 Carbine. The die body for the 06 is probably the long one. It also depends what diameter cast bullets you are planning to use.

I have used the M-die from the .32 S&W/H&R die set for the .30-30 and .308 Win, but I was loading .311" boolits in them.

Good luck, now that I have confused you further, hopefully someone will be along shortly to really answer your question.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Not confusing at all. The total neck expansion v. flaring only the mouth is obviously the basic difference. I am assuming a Lyman M die ordered for 30-06 will expand the neck enough to comfortably accept .309 bullets...or is the expander sized for .308?

Boolit Master
    Librarian, the M die is available with a lot of different sizes of expanders. However, they are rather expensive when compared to the Lee Universal Expander die paired with the NOE neck expanding inserts. The inserts from NOE are less than half the M die inserts. And you can get custom sizes from NOE. These are all I use for 380, 9mm, 223, 270, 30-30. And the 30-30 insert will work for most .30 calibers. Same for the other inserts with calibers that require the same diameter.

Boolit Master

The Lee expander does not work very well in My experience. I only tried it one time for 7mm Mauser.
    Tossed it and bought a Lyman M-Die. A world of difference.
    I think if I was starting over I would go with N.O.E.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I use both and like both. I use the Lee die when loading 308 or 309 bullets. If I an loading larger diameter 30's I use the M die. I make my own expander stems to match the size bullet I am using.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

The difference is whether you want to fiddle with angled bullets and having to straighten them and hand feed them into your seater. The "M" step is better called a pocket, because that's what it does. In the pocket bullets can fly fairly fast around a progressive merry-go-round and not tilt. Good luck with the flared only tool.

I'm not a Lee hater, but I'd like to see an 'M' style expander in their corral. NOE has them, Mr. Bullet Feeder has them, RCBS has them, and maybe others.....just a flare is yesterday technology, only adequate if you like nurse-maiding each bullet vertically into the sizer.

RCBS has used them on their powder-through expanders for pistol for several years. (and M.B.F. does too).

RCBS recently released a tube RIFLE bullet feeder (for .223 and .308) that includes an "M"die to be used in station 2 to expand and make a pocket for the tube feeder die to drop bullet in. Don't know if it could be adjusted out enough for 06. I'll have to check that out.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-12-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both , in 30 cal. , I load 30-30 , 30-06 and 7.5 Swiss (w/ .308" dia. boolits).

The M-die makes a 2-step flair which is geared straight fo the cast lead boolit , it does a neck expand and flair and was an answer to my cast boolit seating problems .

The Lee Universal Neck Expander is misnamed... it simply puts a flare onto the case mouth ... It should be Universal Neck Flaring Tool ... but , two things , Sometimes all you need is a flare , I flare a lot of pistol cases to seat cast boolits , they are short and don't need an M-die neck expansion .
    The second thing is NOE sells expander plugs that act as M-dies and you put these plugs in the Lee Universal Die body ... this is good because NOE sells the plugs for a fraction of the cost of a Lyman M-Die and NOE sells them in a plethora of different sizes . The Lyman M-Die comes in one size , you order by caliber ...30-06 or 30-30 ...no choice of expander size is given , you get what they send .
    The M-Die and NOE M-die expander plugs are almost required in rifle loading and helpful in a lot of handgun loading .
    NOE may even now sell a die body to go along with their expander plugs ...
    They do make life easier !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    A purpose for the M Die not yet mentioned: I am one of those people who does not trim (or crimp) .30-30 cases. Cases of varying length, or even with crooked mouths (I do deal with those), after they have been through the M Die all have equal length of bullet gripping neck. The variation is quarantined to the mouth end that has been expanded beyond gripping. Set the die up for the shortest cases.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Buddy
    All of the responses have been useful.

I just discovered the following in the Lyman M die user comments on the Midway website:
    "...an M die is often not needed if your load [sic]very hard bullets with gas checks, as those are harder (won't deform) as they pass down the case neck."

Given that my 30-06 bullets are gas checked and cast from pure linotype, and that I manually align each bullet during seating, and that I have never noted a major problem with bullet alignment or lead shaving, am I looking for a solution to a non-existent problem?

Boolit Master
    The Universal die supposedly helps you get by with fewer dies-- but you can do similar with the M die. To explain: I have a 30-30 M die. It has that little step to open the case mouth a few thousandths. I use the 30-30 M die for all my 30-06 cases without readjusting the die, because, as I raise the ram on the press I can feel the 30-06 case mouth hit the little expanding step and know to stop there. I prefer the M die used this way because it is consistent but does not require the cases to all be perfectly trimmed in length.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    All of the responses have been useful.

I just discovered the following in the Lyman M die user comments on the Midway website:
    "...an M die is often not needed if your load [sic]very hard bullets with gas checks, as those are harder (won't deform) as they pass down the case neck."

Given that my 30-06 bullets are gas checked and cast from pure linotype, and that I manually align each bullet during seating, and that I have never noted a major problem with bullet alignment or lead shaving, am I looking for a solution to a non-existent problem?
    I load hard gas checked boolits for the 223 and still expand the neck of the cases. Same with 30-30.

I have both. The main drawback of the M die is that the expander mandrels available from Lyman won't necessarily be right for your bullets. No matter for me, I make custom mandrels from medium-strength allthread available from McMaster-Carr.

The Lee "Universal Expander" as delivered is a joke, but it's easy to make or buy proper expander mandrels for it. I have also made inserts that swage .22 LR ammo to improve accuracy, inserts that turn it into a seater for my .25 Stevens RF project, even a set of dies for the long-obsolete .28-30-120 Stevens round.

I'm not buying the Lyman die anymore, since I can make anything I want for the Lee die body. Lacking a lathe, I'd still buy a Lee die or three (they're much cheaper) and go to the NOE site for expander mandrels.

.28-30 toolkit on left, a homebrew Lyman M-die mandrel on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee 2830 toolkit.jpg   M-die Expander.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Guys, the Lyman M body die comes in two sizes, long and short. You can use the same expander in both - thus the 30-06 expander can be put in the short body die and used for the carbine or for .30 pistol cases as well.

Yes, there is no comparasion between the Lyman and the Lee dies - they are two separate ideas accomplished in two separate ways to solve a single problem. Lyman does it much better.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have both & use both. For the small cost I would not be without the Lee case mouthexpander.
    Many times I have thought cases were fully prepared & a d filled with powder only to find I was shaving just a bit of lead. Just bumping the case mouth a thousands or two saved the day. Then bumping back with crimp die & done.

Boolit Master
    My 30 cal 'M' dies from Lyman have consistently measured .3065 with a .3095 step. My 31 caliber Lyman is .3095 with a .312 step. NOE makes 'M' type expander plugs that work in the Lee Expanding Die. The NOE expanders are available in many different diameters for most popular calibers, I use a .307/.311 (?) for most of may 30 cal .309 and .310 bullets(not in my shop).

Boolit Master
    Lee calling their die a universal "expander" is silly. They could have saved a lot of confusion if they had simply called it what it is; it is no more or less than a case mouth FLARING tool! It can be useful at times so I have one but a neck EXPANDER, as such, it certainly is not.

IMHO, Lyman's "M" expander plugs (and the RCBS, REDDING, etc, copies) are the best expanders on the market; I have one for every cartridge I reload, including jacketed stuff. ONLY that two-step mouth expander plus flare design insures that bullet bases will have a smooth entry into the necks; that helps concentricity AND protects bullet's delicate heels!

(I won't mention all the neet little reloader things such as custom expanders I make on my old metal lathe because, sadly, few of you have one so what I can do in my little home shop means nothing at all to you. ???)

Boolit Buddy
    As one of the latheless I appreciate the many useful comparisons of the off the shelf dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several neck expander inserts that I purchased from Track of the wolf. They work good also.

Boolit Master

I love the Lee Universal Expander Die BODIES, but not the guts. I make my own neck sizer bushings, seater parts, compression plugs and 2-step expander plugs like this one. I probably have 20 of these Lee dies, each set up for a specific use. TOTW and NOE fill the needs for many, but there are times when making your own is the only option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211009_071005_copy_668x374.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast