Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody hunt with a .45 ACP or have hunting loads?

Anybody hunt with a .45 ACP or have hunting loads?

Just wondered if anybody here hunts with a .45 ACP and had load reccomendations. I was thinking a Lee 230 gr. cast FP would be ok at 25 yards or so with a + P level load. Worked up to of course.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    I've killed several whitetails with a 1911 or a Ruger blackhawk with the .45 acp cylinder and the Lee 230 FP, standard velocity loads. keep it under 50 yards and pick your shot.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master
    In a 625-3. Also a 1911.

Would suggest a 452423 or similar in the revolver at 950 fps which is certainly +P approximate. 50 yards or less is a good self imposed limit to ensure good placement with a double lung shot preferred.

A cast bullet with decent meplat is somewhat less limiting with sharp angling shots as opposed to a jacketed HP, again, in my opinion.

Hunt what? A 45 cal 200 grain bullet with a decent meplat, going 800-900 fsp will kill any deer grave yard dead at any reasonable handgun range. Hunting something bigger, think more handgun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Hunting with the .45 acp at under 1000 fps on deer-sized game is unethical in my opinion. There, I said it.

Shooting wild animals with barely adequate loads is just poor sportsmanship. Very few people have the skill to place a shot in the exact spot needed in order to get a humane shot using barely adequate loads.

I killed my first elk with a .257 Roberts and 120 grain Nosler Partitions at 269 yards. I was under the scrutiny of a friend of Jack O'Connor's and was a natural shot at 13 years of age.

The .45 acp simply lacks the horsepower to reach the vitals and deliver the energy required to make a clean kill.

It's fine for human opponents trying to steal your rent money, but game animals deserve more respect and efficient kills.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

I've harvested a bunch of hogs and goats using a 1911 loaded with 9.0 AA#5 behind an old Speer 200gr. HP (flying ashtray). Hits HARD and they end up DRT!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot several Arkansas razors with my Gov. 1911 45. (more 45 super #20 spring, starline super brass, ramshot enforcer- 1000-1050 fps). but I prefer my 1911 commander bobtail in 50 GI 275gr fmj at 875fps or 950 if you go a little hot. My first hog was a surprise .....he came running through the brush at me.....couldn't get my M1a scout into action so it was a reflex draw at about 7 yards, after I donned fresh underwear!!!!! I took the hog to camp. I hit him in the right eye....bullet traveled back and deflected down into his spine.....I marked that spot down for future reference
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Yes...S&W 4506-1 with reddot holosight...255 grain hardcast flat nosed bullet....loaded to Super level. I have never had a bullet bounce off a deer...All deer killed with it never ran over 25 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given my shots were through and throughs, reaching the vitals was not an issue. One was lengthwised.

Boolit Master

No need for +P.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LBT 452230 LFN Jug Test.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	290116

Hard alloy LBT 452-230 LFN recovered from 9th milk jug in the stack driven at standard GI hardball speed of 830fps. About a .32" meplat on that bullet, as I recall. Ruptured the first three jugs and straight-lined the rest.

Remember that the Army had notions of dealing with horses with both the Peacemaker and the 1911.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Hunt what? A 45 cal 200 grain bullet with a decent meplat, going 800-900 fsp will kill any deer grave yard dead at any reasonable handgun range. Hunting something bigger, think more handgun.
    I meant deer. Sorry about that.

Boolit Buddy
    You don't need a cannon to kill whitetail, they were nearly wiped out during the depression by people using .22 shorts.
    Last edited by r80rt; 10-11-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master

For the nay-sayers, people won't think twice about using the longstanding 45 Colt cartridge at 900 fps to hunt deer, AND other game. But, some are quick to deny the ability of the 45 acp to do the same job. I've taken two deer with a S&W 57. A 220 grain 410459 @1000 fps. Both taken at about 50 yards. I wouldn't feel under gunned (at all) with the 230 - 250 grain slugs at 850 to 900 fps. I've clocked the Lee 255 rfn @ 916 fps with a heavy dose of Herco. That's out of my PT1911. What's not to like?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Well Idaho, your opinion runs counter to a whole of men on this forum who over the years have reported many, many successes with the ACP. There, I said it.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Attachment 290200Attachment 290200Most will laugh but I built a Hi Point JHP 45 ACP for deer hunting. I lived in OH then and it is a legal caliber if it has at least a 5” barrel so I rebarreled mine with a 1 - 12 twist barrel with a treaded muzzle.
    It was to be a tree stand / blind gun as I figured anything in archery range would be fair game with the pistol.
    Problem was the land I hunted for 15 + years was sold to the “ Metroparks” and is now a reserve with no hunting allowed. I now live in MI and I believe it is legal here also, just need to find hunting areas to use it.
    I have killed whitetails, antelope, and hogs with a carbine in 45 ACP so there is no doubt it will do the job.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 10-16-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 290200Most will laugh but I built a Hi Point JHP 45 ACP for deer hunting. I lived in OH then and it is a legal caliber if it has at least a 5” barrel so I rebarreled mine with a 1 - 12 twist barrel with a treaded muzzle.
    It was to be a tree stand / blind gun as I figured anything in archery range would be fair game with the pistol.
    Problem was the land I hunted for 15 + years was sold to the “ Metroparks” and is now a reserve with no hunting allowed. I now live in MI and I believe it is legal here also, just need to find hunting areas to use it.
    I have killed whitetails, antelope, and hogs with a carbine in 45 ACP so there is no doubt it will do the job.

Jedman
    Since you have already started customizing that hipoint maybe you could get it engraved. Then again beauty is as beauty does.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

The flat nose 45 ACP will do the job for a fact. Just keep the distance and shot placement in a reasonable range.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

A friend of mine killed a deer with a .380. Just sayin’.

Not that it’s ethical or recommended, but it happened. If you get close and pick your shot, I think the .45 would be adequate. For the record, though, I’ve never done it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 290200Most will laugh but I built a Hi Point JHP 45 ACP for deer hunting. I lived in OH then and it is a legal caliber if it has at least a 5” barrel so I rebarreled mine with a 1 - 12 twist barrel with a treaded muzzle.

Jedman
    Pretty neat. Nothing wrong at all with a Hi-Point. What barrel did you use for your project?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes very ingenious. As far as the engraving comment, perhaps you can get a pony engraved as we all know ,'One with a Colt on the side always shoots better'. Seriously just kidding. I would like to know what accuracy and velocity on the Hi-Point was achieved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast