RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How good's the 310?

I have 310 dies sets for most of the cartridges that I load. I have four of the Trueline Jr presses, one set up for each of the handgun cartridges I load for, and do almost all of my handgun loading with them. I have been loading all of my 32 Win Special with 310 dies and a tong tool, just for grins.

-ktw

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

tru line jr

I have 5 and load odd cal.mine have been tapped for 7/8 in one hole for PISTOL dies.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Man
    I'll go with KTW. We started (1957) with 310s in 30-06 and 45 Auto, scoops, and cast bulletts. I often loaded the next days shooting around the fire. We went to Trueline JR's as we could use the dies in them. I still have the familys collection, but am Spar T based nowadays. I think highly of the Lee Scoop Set for midrange loads, though. You can't beat the concept, Mine go to the range with me ocasionally. Go Lyman..!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I think 310's are a very nostalgic classic!

I've gotten to try one of the older antique Ideal Casting/Sizing/Reloading tools for the .32-20, and I thought it was the F(_)#%!NG COOLEST THING EVER!!! I didn't get to use it for casting, but I got to try loading a cartridge with a pre-made lead bullet, and I must admit that was a truly COOL tool!

Being able to cast your own bullet, lubricate it, size it, and then reload a cartridge ALL WITH THE SAME TOOL was waaaaaay beyond cool!

In the same sense, I think it's pretty sweet how the modern 310 works so incredibly well, and I think someday I will definitely own one for .45 ACP! It's pretty cool to have a PORTABLE reloading tool...

Boolit Grand Master
    Inuhbad,

If you want a .45 ACP die set for the 310, it would be good to look for one now and buy it ASAP. They were discontinued several years ago and are one of the more popular sizes to buy, so they are getting harder to find all the time. If I were you, I would also look for one of the "push through" sizing dies, since the 310 just neck sizes cases, a fact that may become important in an auto pistol. Lyman also made a full length resizer for the Tru Line Jr dies of the same size, but I'm not sure the 310 has enough leverage to make that work.

"Back in the day" the early generation of survivalists wanted a .30-06 set and a .45 set to be ready "when the big one comes." I guess the Obama-phobes of us will want a 9mm set and a .223 set for the same reason. I'm not sure that reloading of those types of rounds will be much help in making it through tough economic/political times, but they sure make it possible to do more recreational shooting in marginal times.

You've probably figured this out already, but be very sure you have your hands well insulated from the metal handles when you use the old tong tool for casting. Wrap the handles thoroughly, wear heavy gloves, or both. You can see why this is very important.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Started with 310 for 30/06 in 1950's, then went to TruLine for 30 Carbine, later to RCBS & CH presses. Still have the stuff.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Bub
    I have a 310 in 30/30 in my BOB along with a home made scoop, powder and primed brass. It's "just in case".

Mike
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Mold
    Bought a Win 243 in the early 70's with 310 dies. Bought a set of scales and used the 310's for a year. You could say That got me into reloading. Lyman makes a bushing to use them on a press same as regular dies. Still have them.

My Dad taught me to reload on the 310 tool told everyone it was the " manly " way to reload even have the tap in full length size dies for 30-06 .45 and 8mm Mauser .
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.