Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Primers and Powder?

Where are the Primers and Powder?

I just bought another 5lb's of D700X. The powder is made here in Canada and is the equivalent of 700X sold by Hogdon. I suspect it is the same powder sold under a different label. I have lots of pistol powder now on hand albeit in small batches of this and that. I do see an end of my primer supply. What is causing the primer/powder shortages? Is the US armed forces rearming or is this shortage civilian driven?

Tale Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    it just might be pretty plain and simple as the were probably about 20 million new gun owners in the US last year and there are a whole bunch of em wanting to make their own ammo since ammo is so very scarce. and now a days when primers come available they are gone in no time flat. I've got a feeling the factories are cranking them out as fast as they can.

Not sure about military contracts, but civilian demand for ammo is still way up.

Last spring, Hornady said they had a 2 1/2 year backlog of orders.
    Orders for live ammo will get filled first, then the excess production of primers and powders will be sent to
    the reloaders & component market.

I think I remember reading that ammo and components imported from Russia have been recently banned.
    If that's true, it ain't going to help our shortages much.

I've seen SR & SP primers back on the market at a few places.
    However; they are running $115--200 per 1,000.

Our LGS has a pretty good stock of ammo again, but its still higher than giraffe lips with generous,
    but purchase limits so some rich prepper doesn't come in and clean him out.

Also, new guns are trickling in.
    After a 6-7 month back order, my Henry Golden Boy finally came in.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-09-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I think the Russian stuff got banned quite a few years ago, I was hoping all time trump was in office that we would begin to one again see real Russian ak47's and those cute little surplus 7.62 pistols with the leather holsters. but no none nada, and Tula and wolf primers dried up long ago.

It is odd though. Canada, to my knowledge has not banned Russian components. That said the last Tula primers I got were from the Ukraine of all places. That is what the box they came in said anyway. In this world of changing enemies one can never be sure. I am not aware of the supply train issues involved. You would think importers would be seeking out product from other sources if local manufacturers were unable to fill the void,. I have had good luck with Tula, rebranded Tula "Dominion", and S&B primers in my 9MM pistols, rifles and revolvers.

Oh well this all will pass/ I have heard Covid played havoc in the factories with employee sick leave issues. Hopefully round 4 will be the end of Covid but that may not be the case.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Hello Robert,

I'm going with civilian driven. This shortage has been THE wild one of the ones I've endured over the decades. New gun owners buying for the first time, along with all the ammunition they could afford, and continuously adding to their stockpile when they can. Those having problems finding ammunition on the shelves, have decided reloading is their last chance. I don't believe there is a worse time I've seen in my life to begin reloading. Some items are slowly coming back, primers being the last. To the best of my knowledge, which some will say isn't much, we only have so many ammunition factories in the U.S. Most of them produce and sell to the general public, and they are also the only ones who make primers. The primers either go into their primary product, or to those of us who reload. The can and will take care of their primary means of survival first, selling loaded ammunition. I'm unaware of any one plant in the U.S. who produces primers alone to supply those who reload their own. But, that's just my opinion. How long before primers become readably available again is anyone's guess. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer. Many, were well prepared long before the shortage began, others were caught short handed. No shame in either. Just a really hard time for those who reload.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

plenty of powder and primers on the shelves at the lgs locally, but your in for sticker shock, primers are 10 bucks for a hundred with a limit of 5.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Man at $10.US a hundred there has to be price gauging going on. I guess supply and demand and if you are willing to pay it...pony up. I have not got my mind ready for $10.Cdn ($8US)yet . Ig uess it is what it is. I am going to se if Cdn. Tire has some. Their prices tend to be high but if they go them... Has hoarding set in down there? I have heard of guys with 30K primers set aside for a rainy day when they seldom go shooting. Doesn't make much sense to me. In my world there is no way in hell almost 400 million Canadian and US folks are ever foing to be running around living off the land. It worked when there were only 500 thousand or so humans on this continent but that was then is this is now.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

their shelves are overflowing with ammo as well, its generic stuff in plain white boxs and they want roughly a buck a round for it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

One of the local Mom & Pop shops had/has primers for $65.00 Cdn per M.

I made sure my stash was well stocked after the last shortage a few years ago.
    Seems like everything else is available in limited quantities, powder, bullets and brass, but no primers.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

The civilian market plus the fact that the Remington factory was out for almost two years. Now working full time and producing ammo, I'm not sure if components are on the market yet, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    This has been a good lesson for many folks. What surprises me are those who have seen shortages in the past and were so ill prepared. I cannot understand it. Especially when primers are absolutely necessary and were so inexpensive for years. I have primers that cost $16/k!

When I looked at stocking for preparedness, I had 3 times more primers than powder for the ammunition I reload. Primers are only produced by companies making ammunition. Powder comes from different suppliers. Even during this shortage, powder has been available...maybe not our favorite powder but something that can be used if need be.

As we see more ammunition becoming available, we will see primers back on the shelves and prices will come down. I think the "new normal" will be in the $40-45 range and that is quite acceptable. If we can start getting primers from Tula/Wolf, that will help not only supply but costs.
    Don Verna

I like to start wach year with a two year supply on hand. Tis equates to 15,000 SPP, 5000 LPP and 2,000 SPMP or SRP, I will be ok for this year and most of next UF nothing else changes. Brass and Lead bullets are never an issue. I orefer FMJ bullets for pistol matches and have a ready supply. For the rest of my shooting I use my own cast bullets so life is good.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    I saw Remington LPP at Scheels a couple weeks back.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

It's not just primers in short supply. I needed some 200 gr .375 and 35 cal's to load for a friend who doesn't want to shoot cast?? and called Sierra today and asked if they were EVER going to make any more and the guy I talked to on the phone said it would probably be 2 to 2 1/2 years before they got around to running any since they were low demand caliber stuff.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    This has been a good lesson for many folks. What surprises me are those who have seen shortages in the past and were so ill prepared. I cannot understand it. Especially when primers are absolutely necessary and were so inexpensive for years. I have primers that cost $16/k!

When I looked at stocking for preparedness, I had 3 times more primers than powder for the ammunition I reload. Primers are only produced by companies making ammunition. Powder comes from different suppliers. Even during this shortage, powder has been available...maybe not our favorite powder but something that can be used if need be.

As we see more ammunition becoming available, we will see primers back on the shelves and prices will come down. I think the "new normal" will be in the $40-45 range and that is quite acceptable. If we can start getting primers from Tula/Wolf, that will help not only supply but costs.
    No more Tula/Wolf Ammo or components to be imported into US as long as Biden and Company are in Office. They have stopped all future imports of Russian Ammo/Components.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

This week, I was able to get 1K CCI #41 small rifle and 4 lbs IMR 4227. Sad what I had to pay for it, but, I recently bought a rifle that required the small primers, so I really had no choice.
    Deplorable infidel

Still loading from my own stock & don't plan to check prices before next year. I can shoot at least 3 years at my present rate. After that it will be air rifle I guess.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Still loading from my own stock & don't plan to check prices before next year. I can shoot at least 3 years at my present rate. After that it will be air rifle I guess.
    I have already gone to air rifles for plinking and fun shooting. Many benefits, but not for everyone. Some folks like recoil, noise and a resounding clunk when hitting steel. Then there people who love to clean/prep brass, cast/lube bullets and reload. Air guns are not fun if those are important needs.

I really enjoy mine, but I went with PCP’s and they are effortless. It is pleasant not to need hearing protection on those hot days.

My primer inventory is going to last a lot longer and I can keep shooting at a significant reduction in cost and time “wasted” reloading and casting. The majority of plinking I do does not require 125-200 gr bullets at 1000 fps.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I agree with Murphy in post #6. This is the mother of all shortages and has lasted the longest as well. Going on 2 years now with no end in sight either. In fact, it's worse with the import bans and those that will surely follow with the current administration and these new edicts being put forth from the King.

While new gun owners are impacting the production ammo available, they generally, are not handloaders. Pre-Covid handloaders did, I believe, stock up years ago based on experiences learned from the previous shortages from election year scares and such. Now that their supplies have been consumed, they too are back in the market for replacement stock as well as the new handloaders who decided to load as a facet of prepping. The seasoned handloaders and casters (hobbyists) are really feeling the pinch.

I don't see any immediate end to this latest one and life as we knew it in the casting and handloading world may not return to anything recognizable from the past. May be time to learn to SCUBA dive or run that Nikon D7300 camera better. I wonder if DougGuy can throat a Nikon?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast