Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Will it work? Check Maker

Will it work? Check Maker

Was lying awake one night and got to thinking. Could I make a check maker not having a lath that would be a one step maker. Came up with this idea, I would take a old destroyed sizing die and give it a try, Went through all my old bad dies and found a 38 spec seater die of unknown make. My mind went to work I could turn this into a check maker for a 6mm.
    Turned down the seating stem using my drill press and a file. Then cut a groove with a hacksaw. 38 spec is close to .375 so took a 3/8 bit and ran it into the die. Next was to polish these parts as best I could. Then I found a 1/4id x 3/8 od motor bush spacer. Had to polishing of a little of the outside to get a nice but sliding fit to go into the 38 spec. die. I then filed one end of the bushing to get a Sharpe edge and bevel the inside edge just a little.
    To make it work on a press I took a old shell holder and drilled the center out to 3/8 inch and soldered the bushing into it.
    It Worked!! makes great checks for the 6mm when using some .008 flashing I had. I will need to shelve the tip of the seating rod back up a couple of thousand if I use it for soda cans but till then.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You got skills and ideas, look for a used lathe on Craigslist. You'll be surprised how many useful things you can make for reloading.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is a brilliant idea. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Who has a batch of "old bad dies" lying around? And how did they get that way?

Can I get a few? Mine seem to last and work correctly F O R E V E R.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Who has a batch of "old bad dies" lying around? And how did they get that way?

Can I get a few? Mine seem to last and work correctly F O R E V E R.
    I myself have never ruined a die, these were given to me my members and friends that found them at yard sales etc. Most had rust damage or had been ruin by methods I have no ideal. Do have a couple where someone thought they could enlarged them to a larger cartridge by running a drill into them destroyed the first 1/2 inch or so, what some people do?

Boolit Master
    I got about 20 from a fellow member here that were not bad but are partial sets and some with missing parts. He was giving them to anyone that wanted them for projects such as this. I have found good use for several. I have also bought used die sets at auctions that have extra dies or partial sets that are cheap. You never know when you might want a die body for some wild idea you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I got about 20 from a fellow member here that were not bad but are partial sets and some with missing parts. He was giving them to anyone that wanted them for projects such as this. I have found good use for several. I have also bought used die sets at auctions that have extra dies or partial sets that are cheap. You never know when you might want a die body for some wild idea you might have.
    Yes Sir. not having a lath the dies give me a 7/8x14 to work with.

Boolit Grand Master
    The checks look bad to me, but I can be critical and judgmental...or showing my ignorance. The checks I buy are not torn or look like bottle tops. Maybe what I consider defects actually help the check fit better???

But if they work that is all that matters!!! Pretty doesn't count and you cannot see them once the bullet it seated.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The checks look bad to me, but I can be critical and judgmental...or showing my ignorance. The checks I buy are not torn or look like bottle tops. Maybe what I consider defects actually help the check fit better???

But if they work that is all that matters!!! Pretty doesn't count and you cannot see them once the bullet it seated.
    Picture makes them look bad, they work great that is all that matters

Boolit Buddy
    As long as shoot good and say on, shoot they heck out of 'em!

Boolit Bub
    for not having a lathe i think you did pretty good. i am currently building a one step check maker, ed smith design. it will be used in an arbor press.

doug

I was just wanting to show what could me done. They work for me. I did sleeve the tip of the push thru rod a few thousand since posting the pic. it help.
    Last edited by brstevns; 09-04-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I was just wanting to show what could me done. They work for me. I did sleeve the tip of the push thru rod a few thousand since posting the pic. it help.
    7/8 x 14 all thread is available, and is good stock for the experimenter!

Boolit Buddy
    Mr fixit Do you have a reasonable priced source for this threaded rod? I could be interested.
    Thanks

Works but is hard to get hole centered using a drill press

Boolit Buddy
    I think you have done a great job improvising.

Quote Originally Posted by plus1hdcp View Post
    I think you have done a great job improvising.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    Mr fixit Do you have a reasonable priced source for this threaded rod? I could be interested.
    Thanks
    Got mine from Grainger. I do have a branch local to me, so no shipping costs.

Haven't used it yet. Just got the lathe I intend to use it with in place today. Need to rewire the motor & switch, lube the motor, and then it should be ready to rock.

Bill

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Works but is hard to get hole centered using a drill press
    This is intended for use on a lathe faceplate, but could be set up on the table of a drill press or milling machine table as shown: https://johnfsworkshop.org/home/proc...g-keats-block/

Angle block and clamp as a substitute for the Keats block.

And agree with what plus1hdcp said.

HTH!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    This is intended for use on a lathe faceplate, but could be set up on the table of a drill press or milling machine table as shown: https://johnfsworkshop.org/home/proc...g-keats-block/

Angle block and clamp as a substitute for the Keats block.

And agree with what plus1hdcp said.

HTH!

Bill
    Thank you Sir.