Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman Sizing Die Marked Wrong?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Sizing Die Marked Wrong?

I have a Lyman .358 sizing die that sizes a .3585 bullet to .356-.3565. Die measures .357 from the top and .356 to .3565 depending on the position of the die went measuring. I bought the die used. Any body else ran across this problem? I suspect it's a 9mm die?
    Thanks,

TF

Boolit Mold
    Hi Tacofrank,
    This is the first i have heard of the H die being undersize. Many will be bored or lapped out a bit to get a better fit to the barrel groove diameter. You could use a wood dowel and sandpaper on a drill motor to lap the bore a bit bigger. This die may just have been mis-marked from the factory. You may find someone to trade dies with.
    Good Luck,
    Ground Floor

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I would trade it. But it's a simple matter to hone out if you want to go that way.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Also, what alloy are you using? Since a lyman die if spec'd for Lyman #2 alloy, it should size larger than a softer alloy due to springback. If you are using range lead or close to pure, i would expect it to size small or smaller than labeled size.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi guys,
    thank you for your replies. I am pretty sure it's just mismarked. Honing sounds simple and I think Lyman would be hesitant to replace one with no receipt.
    My alloy is wheel weights and range lead. The cast bullets I am sizing are .3585 to .359 before running through this die. I took several Missouri Bullet Co. bullets for a 38 S&W sized to .361 and ran them through this die and they were sized to .356-.3565 depending on what side of the bullet measured.
    Honing seems to be the easiest cure.
    Again thanks for your replies and help.
    TF

Call Lyman, may send you a new one.

Boolit Buddy
    If you bought the die used, then could be just normal wear after how many thousands
    of bullets have been sized in it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    If you bought the die used, then could be just normal wear after how many thousands
    of bullets have been sized in it!
    If the die changed dimension it would grow.

Lyman is slow on a good day, now, not even that speed. I would lap it or have it lapped or try to buy another from the used market because new is so sketchy right now.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I’ve bought most of my G, H&I sets used, too. A number of them are “there or thereabouts.” There was a period in the late 50s-early-60s when the family wanted out of the business, and a lot of the moulds and sizers were (to be charitable) projects and kits for do-it-yourselfers. Mismarkings were not uncommon, either.

A split dowel with wet-or-dry paper and an electric drill (or better, a lathe) should bring the hole up a couple thousandths, and might leave a better internal finish than original as well. You might need to be careful with pressure on the lube; it might squeeze past the now undersized plunger before getting into all the grooves. With a lathe, of course, you just turn a new plunger to the proper size.

Boolit Buddy
    Update! I honed it with the process PMed to me by Beagle333. Process was simple and worked like a charm. Took a little more than an hour and a couple of beers. Sizing die now sizes to .358. Very pleased with my die and the process to make it right.
    Bullets shoot as good as they look.
    Thank You Beagle333,

TF

The sized diameter changes with the alloy used by about .0005" or more. Harder being larger. More spring back.

FWIW: I once bought (from Dillon) a .41 mag sizing die that didn't even touch the case. It was marked .41 but I suspect it was .44 or .45. Dillon replaced it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.

Boolit Master
    Use that die for 9mm and buy a new one for 38 spl.