MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tuarus gaucho revolver

Banned
    First let me address the gun rags. Their purpose is not to tell us what to buy or not buy, but rather tell us about a new product, how it shot for them, what they liked or didn't like...but never to tell us what to buy. The gunrags also have other duties I know.

Now what I meant is Gun Tests isn't any innocent gun rag. Don't think for one second that they aren't funded somehow or another besides their subscription income. They are coming off as your buddy approach for one thing. They are fun to read, I'll admit that, but they aren't fooling alot of people. I get their advertisements by mail about every two months and it gets tossed right into the garbage can. You know for the 50 years or more that I've been shooting I really can't recall having a gun that I bought that wouldn't shoot, or the safety didn't work, or was unsafe in all that time. I also haven't had alot of friends that got alot of bad guns either. Had a friend buy a brand new heavy barrel Ruger rifle in 308 that had an exceptionally large groove diameter, but that's about it. Yeah I've had guns that didn't have a good finish on the machine work, or were rough in working the action, flaws in the bedding or wood. Never had one where anything fell off the gun or a part broke. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky, don't know. You know Gun Tests reminds me in a way of a dirt bike magazine I use to read when I was younger and doing alot of dirt biking. Funny enough the magazine was name Dirt Bike. I remember one issue had some kind of dual purpose street and trail Honda on the front page and it was in a pig pen and they had a caption coming out of the headlight like that was the bikes mouth saying "Oink Oink". In the article they said it was a real pig, but they had advertisements and from Honda too!!! To me that's alot more sincere and honest then Gun Tests with their "We don't get paid by the big gun companies to write good report nor do we get special gone over guns".

Rant done

Joe

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    First let me address the gun rags. Their purpose is not to tell us what to buy or not buy, but rather tell us about a new product, how it shot for them, what they liked or didn't like...but never to tell us what to buy.

Joe
    They may never tell us what to buy. But, they say this would make an excellent addition to anyone's collection, gun cabinet, etc. etc. Never read this would be a horrible addition.
    When they come for your guns, give 'em the ammo first.

Banned
    Hickorycreek that is nitpicking and I'm not playing.

Joe

hey guys befire this completely derails, what i was looking for was a single action i can shot for fun and cheap i thought a tuarus may fit the bill but the ruger are also pretty close to the same price.

Single action? Ruger BH. New or used depending on what's available to you. Double actions are easier to load/unload and to clean due to the swing-out cylinder and aren't that much more expensive used. DA's make better carry guns, too.
    Joe, where do they get their operating expenses if it isn't from subscriptions? Do you have actual knowledge of this or are you speculating?
    Born OK the first time.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jason, before things get totally off the track. Look up the Heritage Rough Rider, in .45 Colt.

wak

those look very nice and a good price you got any freeback on those if they are any good. pretty reliable or not.

Boolit Bub
    Hate to bring it up again. Guntests just did a review of the heritage and the taurus gaucho. I don't have the article but in their minds the heritage won. You may take it for what its worth. There is also a gun from cabelas that fits the same bill, that got good reviews last year. It's pretty cheap too, I think under 300.
    When they come for your guns, give 'em the ammo first.

I'm looking at the article as I type. They tested two 45 Colts, Heritage Rough Rider($379) and Taurus Gaucho($499). The Heritage was more than $100 cheaper, produced higher velocities, and was noticably more accurate. Averages of 5 groups @25yds with four kinds of commercial ammo went as follows:
    Win 225 Silvertip HP 2.0 (855fps) vs. 2.5 (738fps)
    Rem 225 LSWC 2.3 (890) vs. 2.6 (753)
    PMC 250 LFP 1.9 (757) vs. 3.1 (651)
    Black Hills 250 RNFP 1.9 (767) vs. 3.3 (669)
    They liked the workmanship and finish on the Gaucho better, but it would not shoot even close to point of aim. It shot between 7 - 8" high with all tested loads. The only way to cure this on a fixed sight revolver is to grind off the front sight and weld or solder on a higher one.
    Supposedly this would be covered under the warranty, but this is another gun that never should have left the factory. Shooting is supposed to be fun, but having to deal with these issues with a brand new gun is not at all pleasant, and totally unacceptable. I don't need a $500 paperweight. Do you?
    I would be happy to scan and email this article to anyone interested, PM me your edress.
    Born OK the first time.

Banned
    Versifier

I read that one. My best friend gave me a pile of those Gun Tests. Well I can tell you the Taurus that Jim Wilson had shot pretty much to the sight and he shot a 25 yard group as small as 1 1/2 inches with believe it or not a blackpowder load. He said the grip frame to the frame could have been better and something else about the grips themselves...so he did cut on it some. He said for the money it was a pretty decent gun. Me myself if I wanted a Colt clone I'd buy a Cimerron or that U.S. Revolvers what their name is.

Joe