RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry vs Concealed

Banned

another thing to keep in mind is some of us have LOTS of guns and LOTS of ammo and carrying around town and scaring people might peg you as some kind of radical and you could get some complaints. Even if your doing nothing wrong it gets you name on a short list when some idiotic law gets put in place. Me? I wont even let my wife talk about my guns or loading equipment at work or on that stupid blankety blank facebook site she goes one. When guns are the topic the last think i want is my name mentioned. Only ones that go in my loading room or even see my guns are my freinds and family. Sheriff knows because hes a freind but he doesnt discuss it with anyone and knows i like flying under the radar. He loves guns and ar15s too and understands. I even joined a local gun rights group. They were a bit radical and liked marches with there guns out in the open and ars slung across there backs right down main street. I lasted one week and said goodby to that bunch of rambos.

As I am a huge supporter of The Second Amendment and open carry .....I will not open carry in public! As mentioned by others, in a hunting or out of doors situation.....yes, on open carry! If the situation involves a public place......I want “very discrete” carry. I do not want to telegraph to anyone that I carry. I do not want to be recognized as carrying a firearm by a would be criminal.... and likely be the first one to take a round from a determined bad guy! JMO. memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Even if your doing nothing wrong it gets you name on a short list when some idiotic law gets put in place.
    Oh I don't worry about making THAT list. I am already on it I am sure.
    As an owner of MGs, SBRs, AOW's, SBSs and supressors, I am already there!
    Good news is that so is my local Chief of Police.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Open carry vs concealed carry? Let’s hear the pros and cons from both sides.
    When everyone is open-carrying, I'll open carry. Until then, it's concealed or do without.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Agree with the comments above.
    What is humorous is that in the time of the founding fathers well into the late 1800s, concealing a weapon was a sign of someone with bad intentions.
    Factually that is not correct.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I carry in an open top hostler wearing a long tail shirt. If I'm home it is visible most of the time. If I run into the large town of 300 I just flip the shirt over it.

Local rodeo starts end of next month. A lot of the younger guys will be wearing pistols. They get drunk doing washers but so far they have kept them holstered. I keep mine hidden but it's a small enough town that everyone knows I'm armed.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Concealed here unless.....I'm running a hog trap, You just never know when a wizzed off mama sow comes charging in, Then it's hammer time !

Yes agree with all the common sense thoughts above.

Boolit Grand Master

Years (28 to be accurate) ago both LOML and I took the concealed carry course here in VA. Once she found out that open carry was legal in VA she refused to get her permit - "If I'm carrying I want people to know it!" was her statement. In all that time she has carried on exactly one occasion - she was doing some consulting work in Norfolk on a city construction site in a less than nice part of town. She asked me what I had that she could carry, and strapped one on that AM. The evening of the second day working there she told me that three of the guys working the construction site showed up carrying! Her example is all they needed.

I still carry concealed, and she hasn't felt the need to carry since then.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Fellow Boolit Masters and esteemed Mastercasters: I carry-concealed all the time, legally! But, while attending our favorite restaurant with my wife, a younger couple sat at a table across the aisle from us. I noticed the gentleman was carrying a revolver in a homemade holster on his belt. Immediately, he looked at me as I looked at him and his open carry revolver. He was over six feet and his long legs stretched under his table. Suddenly, and without warning his knee and leg on his holster-side began to jerk, uncontrollable. He was nervous about open-carry AND a danger to himself, his wife and EVERYONE nearby. Soon, they left with food uneaten. AND that is the story for today that happened with children nearby.
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Bub
    I like to be the grey man so concealed for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in New Yorkistan and am lucky enough to have a CCP. In this state unless you are in the woods hunting ( you must strap your gun on besides the woods and remove as soon as you come out) you can lose your license if someone reports that your gun is printing thru your clothes. If you are carrying in public you have to make sure no one knows or you could be in for trouble. Several years ago my appendix carry holster slipped to the side slightly and some libtard women yelled out in the store "Are you carrying a gun?" I replied loud enough for everyone to hear "No lady that's my colostomy bag!" Shut her up in a hurry!

Boolit Master
    saw on local news today that as of midnight new law will make it to be legal to carry whatever you want however you want here in Tennessee.
    I usually carry ruger 22/45 target or a 357 on belt holster around the farm, there's lots of critters and snakes in the summer and ginseng stealing trespassers in the fall but never saw a need to carry anything when going to town or to the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    but never saw a need to carry anything when going to town or to the big city.
    I live in rural Maine and we have some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. When I go into town I still carry. Most Maineiacs might be civilized but lots of folks come up who aren't. And too many Mainers are scumbags too. Maine is not the Maine it was 40 years ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    saw on local news today that as of midnight new law will make it to be legal to carry whatever you want however you want here in Tennessee.
    I usually carry ruger 22/45 target or a 357 on belt holster around the farm, there's lots of critters and snakes in the summer and ginseng stealing trespassers in the fall but never saw a need to carry anything when going to town or to the big city.
    Must not live near Marshalltown. Moved there in the 90's and the first time I heard gunfire in a town was in Marshalltown, IA.

Monfort plant there employed mostly illegals, and they wreaked havoc on the town. MS-13 all over the city park and pool. Actually had to use my carry gun in that town in a laundromat to prevent my girlfriend from being raped.

Crime rate in Marshalltown in 2015 was 408. National average is 270. Crime rate in Portland for the same time period was 393. Marshalltown is a lovely little town with a dirty secret.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For hunting or bear defense open carry all the way. For SD against humans in urban area's concealed. Open carry in urban area's is more of a political statement. Open carry makes you a potential target of lots of negative scenario's
    My thoughts exactly.
    In the woods, on my property, or if getting gas on the way to/from the woods (because I don't want to take it off just to put it back on) - Open carry
    Anywhere or any time else - Concealed Carry

I am in favor of open carry laws though since if I bend over to get something or my gun shows while doing something accidently, technically I could be in violation of the law accidently without open carry.
    Also, its their/my right to do so if so desired, I generally don't do it, but I support other's right to do so. IMO any gun law is an infringement that violates 2A
    Also if I am in a situation where I need to draw and someone is open carrying, they'll be the first target giving me more time to react.
    Last edited by lksmith; 07-01-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I open carry in the woods and on the way to the woods. On the occasions I have to stop by the grocery store for provisions on the way to the woods, I have never had an issue in 40 years of doing so.

I generally like to carry concealed. Keeps the sheep from getting nervous, and the wolves in the dark.

I would never carry a long gun in town. Those guys that carry ARs in Starbucks to make a statement are morons.
    Right? On at least 2 counts. 1. They patronize SB. 2. They have entrusted their personal safety to a poodle shooter. M1A, bring enough gun!

Hunting, camping, hiking where I might want to do some recreational plinking, hunting, or even perhaps defend myself from an aggressive animal I carry openly. When on my own property I often carry openly because it's a lot more comfortable when working in the heat and humidity. Everywhere else, especially in town, I carry concealed. If I'm going to need a gun I prefer it to come as a nasty shock to my assailant.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone commented on the "printing" issue.
    Texas now has open carry and soon constitutional carry. I expect to see a metric s***load of people flaunting constitutional open carry starting 1 September.
    I try to carry concealed, but open carry and constitutional carry relieve me of the issue of always checking to see if I'm printing.
    Another issue is deployment time - while I don't try and place myself in dangerous situations - the more sticky the situation, the more "free" my carry becomes.

Boolit Grand Master

I just want the right to carry , open or concealed , without having to buy an expensive permit and take classes . The criminals are not required to get permits or take classes ... They don't and are NEVER prosecuted for breaking those " Laws" , I simply want the same rights as a common criminal ... is that too much to ask ?
    Oh Yeah ... I guess it is , to get the same rights as the criminals ... what was I thinking ... that wouldn't do at all !
    I'm much too dangerous to be allowed to go armed ...honest , law abiding , tax paying citizen ... that's too dangerous!

I just renewed my NRA Membership ... that should add a red flag next to my name . Yeah I'm too dangerous to be allowed any gun rights .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"