Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Annual 1911 Auto Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Attachment 285007

Attachment 285008

My latest, a new Rock Island Ultra FS in 10mm. Totally paid for by selling brass I picked up off the ground for free.
    My hat is off to you, Sir. You must have picked up a lot of brass! Good use for the profits! I'm sure you've read the periodic threads about "What is the best pistol I can carry for bears?" I've concluded that a 1911 in 10mm is about the best choice. Haven't procured one yet, but the day may well come.

DG

Banned
    Oldie, not pretty but functions flawlessly
    45 ACP SPRINGFIELD ARMORY U.S.A.
    UNITED STATES PROPERTY MODEL OF 1911.U.S.ARMY NO7579 = Oct. 1912
    Colt lower Springfield Upper

I found this cleaning out a house.

7579 is a pretty low number. How's about this one, Colt 7674?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001966.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	285063

The first time I examined it I thought to myself, "This is something unusual...." It belonged to a Deputy Sheriff, and I told him I'd buy it if he ever decided to sell. The day came, and it was mine. The more I looked at it the more puzzled I became. That serial number block should have been a very early U.S. Property, but there was no property mark. Also, WW I pistols' serial numbers have a number preceded by No., like No. 7674, and this one just had the number. The frame and slide were undeniably made by Colt. Also, although you can't see it in the photo, the serial number is in script rather than block numbers.

Several years passed. I acquired a book on collector martial arms, the 1911 included, and read a footnote by a gentleman who was researching Remington Rand 1911s. He requested to know the marking, serial numbers, and especially the markings on the barrels. I sent him the information on one I had, he replied with his gratitude, and then in subsequent correspondence I asked him what he might know about the pistol in the photo. He really "knocked my socks off" when he replied that the script serial number indicated that the frame was originally a very early .38 Super model, and that apparently the slide and barrel had been replaced by someone who preferred a .45 ACP. As proof he offered that, if one examined the photo on the back cover of "Know Your .45 Auto Pistols" paperback, D.J. Hoffschmidt, Blacksmith Corp., that the pictured 1911 had the same style serial number script. Interestingly, it has the finish worn off in the area of the serial number almost exactly like the one in my photo. One can speculate that perhaps this is from both pistols being carried in the same type of holster, but that is speculation only.

DG

Boolit Master
    I still find John Browning's genius astounding. To dream the 1911 up, all the interplay of parts and the remarkable durability of the piece.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

No photo : but see post #16
    AMT Stainless Steel Hardballer , 45 acp
    w/ Ahrens smooth Black Ebony grips .
    I ordered them not long before Kim went out of business , Kim said the black Ebony looked good on stainless steel 1911's and was his favorite . He was right of course
    I sure do miss both Judy and Kim .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Steel case WW2 ammo tends to be corrosive and has a too small extractor groove cut. Clean it up, wax it and store it for history’s sake.

The 1911 is a timeless piece...sorta like beautiful women, comes in many flavors & you love them all.

my first, now my oldest son's first...Para Ordinance 14-45 target

Second & third...Colt Commander & Kimber...these don't leave here till they read the will.

"SEMPER FIDELIS"

"GOD, COUNTRY, CORPS"

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    My hat is off to you, Sir. You must have picked up a lot of brass! Good use for the profits! I'm sure you've read the periodic threads about "What is the best pistol I can carry for bears?" I've concluded that a 1911 in 10mm is about the best choice. Haven't procured one yet, but the day may well come.

DG
    Thanks! Yeah, been pickin' and peddlin' brass for years, have bought a lot of goodies with the cash. This is at least gun #4, maybe #5. I lose track.....

OS OK-- love those stag grips!

I've got a Para Ord 14:45 in my accumulation. Didn't you hate to see that company disappear? They made quality products, and pretty much invented the double stack .45 ACP pistol frame. I remember seeing just the frames for sale at gun shows for several years before they ever offered a complete pistol. A real odyssey, how the two partners formed the company in Canada, which became very successful, but later moved the company to the U.S. Eventually one died, and in the end the company was sold to Remington. What they wanted it for is debatable, but eventually Remington started producing 1911s. No more Paras though, and SARCO has been selling off their remaining parts for years now. I really liked the LDA series, but other folks never seem too enthusiastic about them. Maybe a double action 1911 is just too non-traditional. I remember the first DA .45 autos that I encountered, the Seecamp. People used to wait years to get one, but I think the LDA was a better gun.

Name:	IM001955.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	285082
    Para P14:45

Name:	IM001949.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	285083
    Para P14:45 LDA

If I had a favorite it might be this one. Maybe my all time favorite. But...the others would feel bad if I chose it.

Name:	IM001961.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	285084
    Para 7:45 LDA
    Very similar to shooting a nicely tuned S&W revolver.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    OS OK-- love those stag grips!

I've got a Para Ord 14:45 in my accumulation. Didn't you hate to see that company disappear? They made quality products, and pretty much invented the double stack .45 ACP pistol frame. I remember seeing just the frames for sale at gun shows for several years before they ever offered a complete pistol. A real odyssey, how the two partners formed the company in Canada, which became very successful, but later moved the company to the U.S. Eventually one died, and in the end the company was sold to Remington. What they wanted it for is debatable, but eventually Remington started producing 1911s. No more Paras though, and SARCO has been selling off their remaining parts for years now. I really liked the LDA series, but other folks never seem too enthusiastic about them. Maybe a double action 1911 is just too non-traditional. I remember the first DA .45 autos that I encountered, the Seecamp. People used to wait years to get one, but I think the LDA was a better gun.

Name:	IM001955.jpg 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	285082
    Para P14:45

Name:	IM001949.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	285083
    Para P14:45 LDA

If I had a favorite it might be this one. Maybe my all time favorite. But...the others would feel bad if I chose it.

Name:	IM001961.jpg 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	285084
    Para 7:45 LDA
    Very similar to shooting a nicely tuned S&W revolver.

DG
    I used to watch Longmire, A&E/Netflix (2012 – 2017), got a kick out of that program. In one program he places his 1911 on his nightstand and it had the Stag grips...from that time on I just had to have some for mine. One of our own members here made these for me...he is an outstanding craftsman.

The first of two pair he made were Rams Horn...

They look pretty good against the steel color of the Colt...

When I felt the feel of the stag I had to order another set for the Colt...sent one set of the Rams Horn to a friend in Illinois as a gift.

Thank you for the kind words
    charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

As I said before, very nice grips. The horn grips are also nice, but I'm especially attracted to the stag. There's at least one fellow on the internet that makes custom grips from PVC that closely resemble ivory. I bought a pair several years ago and they really look good on a stainless pistol.

So, here's a tip for 1911 newbies. You old timers stop laughing, because you had to learn this yourself at some point. When reassembling your 1911 and installing the recoil spring on the recoil spring guide, you'll find that one end of the spring fits more tightly that the other, and the tight end is the one that installs on the guide.

Well, since everyone that has a genuine 1911 has spoken up and provided photos (not!), to keep things running lets chat today about Llamas. The Spanish word llama means flame, or violent passion, or marshy ground, a Peruvian animal, or a name, such as como se llama--what is your name? No more confusing than some English words like blue, blew, etc. In this case it is flame. The Llama's logo is a torch like an Olympic torch with a flame on top.

At one time, from WW I onward, there were many Spanish gun companies that made pistols that varied from excellent to poor quality. The three best were Astra (Unceta), Star (Echeverria), and Llama (Gabilondo), and after the Spanish Civil War Generalissimo Franco only allowed the three mentioned here by name to remain in business. Since Europe is generally a difficult place for the ordinary citizen to own a handgun, these companies turned their attention to overseas markets. Spanish-made guns sold well not only in the U.S., but in Central and South America as well because of their Spanish heritage.

To the best of my knowledge Astra never made a 1911-type pistol. Star made many pistols that superficially resembled the 1911, but their lock work is very different. Not necessarily inferior, just different. But Llama stayed pretty true to the Browning design. The only difference that I can bring to mind off hand is that the hold open lever/safety plunger tube is screwed onto the frame rather than being riveted--or staked if you prefer that description. If you disassemble a Llama pistol the parts appear identical in size and shape with those of a 1911, but in fact they aren't interchangeable at all. Well, they weren't, until the last few years of the company's production when they ended what had been their mainstay for many years, the models VIII and IXA and began production of the Max-I model. The Max-I was a serious redesign
    and most, but not quite all, parts became interchangeable with the 1911. The Llamas were imported by Stoeger Arms for many years, the "Shooter's Bible" people, and sold quite well. They were the gun to buy if you couldn't afford almost double for a Colt. Unfortunately they went out of business, bankrupt in 1992, as did had Star and Astra. After 8 years, in 2000, the flame was rekindled by a cooperative of about 60 former employees, Fabrinor, who made pistols still stamped Llama. After just a couple of years they also closed their doors. No more Llamas, and consequently no more Llama parts-- something to consider if you are ever thinking about buying one. But, again, being 1911-tough, you might never need a replacement part, and then there are always the used parts houses that might have what you need. Spare magazines can be a problem for the earlier models, but the Max-I uses 1911 mags. For several more years the Max-I was produced by Industria Argentina and branded "Firestorm", but they discontinued production.

Here are a couple of mine:

Name:	IM006842.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	285161

The pistol on the upper right is a Llama Model VIII, also sold as the "Extra" and "Military & Police". Lower pistol is a Ballester, always identifiable by the vertically grooved grips.

Name:	IM001987.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	285162

An IXA, Stoeger import, circa 1970, grips replaced with ebony wood. Some stamped "Especial".

Name:	IM002002.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	285163

A Max-I, as produced by Llama/Fabrinor. Polished blue, accented by satin chrome components.

I am not going to make the statement that Llama pistols were/are every bit as good as Colt pistols. Maybe 85%, and could be brought up to 90+ % with some individual gunsmithing attention. Most shoot G.I. combat accuracy out of the box. Nevertheless, I would describe them as a good gun, one of the better guns, and worth owing should one come your way.

DG

Coolest 1911 grips I've ever seen (a photo of....) were made from a Mastodon molar. Waaaay beautiful! Google it, maybe the photos will turn up.

Boolit Grand Master

I shot Grampa's Colt from the previous page for a year in Steel Challenge type competition before I branched into USPSA and I decided I was putting too much wear and tear on my heirloom. So I picked up this Kimber, put on an Ed Brown well and a narrow Dawson fiber optic front, adjusted the take up and called it good. It has Served me well for years.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

You may have seen this before...., if not a fitting story for this thread.

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/pilo...e-zero-pistol/

I have two, one is a Remington 1911 R1S in 45acp, and a S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9mm. I like the Remington the best, it is plane old 1911 except in stainless; the 9mm is too fancy, I can't find a 3 o'clock OWB holster that will not disengage the safety, or allow for it to be disengaged.

When I find a suitable holster, I'll use the 9mm mostly.
    Last edited by Win94ae; 06-27-2021 at 09:49 PM. Reason: wrong video

Boolit Mold
    I am currently at zero in my inventory. Sold 2 Rock Island last year and had hoped to pick up a Dan Wesson a2 but the craziness hit and prices got stupid. Right now I’m trying to talk a friend out of his Springfield Ronin Commander

Name:	COLT 45 ACP.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	285312

My Colt 45 passed down from my father, a 27 year Army vet of WWII, Viet Nam, and three tours in Germany. He bought it out of a wash tub full of them at the local hardware store in the late 60's for $29.25, I was there but was under 7 years old. Gov't Model, civilian issue. My grandson gets that one.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    I have two, one is a Remington 1911 R1S in 45acp, and a S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9mm. I like the Remington the best, it is plane old 1911 except in stainless; the 9mm is too fancy, I can't find a 3 o'clock OWB holster that will not disengage the safety, or allow for it to be disengaged.

When I find a suitable holster, I'll use the 9mm mostly.
    Milt Sparks makes exactly what you are asking for. You will never find higher quality.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post

Name:	COLT 45 ACP.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	285312

My Colt 45 passed down from my father, a 27 year Army vet of WWII, Viet Nam, and three tours in Germany. He bought it out of a wash tub full of them at the local hardware store in the late 60's for $29.25, I was there but was under 7 years old. Gov't Model, civilian issue. My grandson gets that one.

Slim
    Nice heirloom. Nothing like a gun with our forefather's sweat in the stocks.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Milt Sparks makes exactly what you are asking for. You will never find higher quality.
    The safety is exposed on those, that will not do.

I'm either going to have to either switch out the safety levers, or make my own holster.

Thanks anyway!