Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Casting for CZ 82 and Mak

Boolit Mold

Casting for CZ 82 and Mak

I have one of these neat Czech pistols in 9 mm Makorov. Lee has a mold for this bullet size. Has anyone had any experience with their bullet in this caliber? How about in this gun? I'm concerned since the CZ 82 uses polygonal rifling similar to Glock's and I've read the "sticky" above about cast bullets in Glocks. Same concerns with the 82? I also have a Bulgarian Mak that I'd like to use cast in also, but with conventional rifling my only concern with that gun is feeding the cast bullet and if accuracy is acceptable. Any experience ?

Thanks!

Boolit Bub

Smile loading cast in 9X18

Snood, I load both the lee and lyman cast bullets in my CZ 82. Good accuracy and no problems. Shoots real close to POA too. Mine likes Unique and 231 equally well. It usually shoots into 1.5 inches @ 15 yards which aint bad for a 3.5" bbled military bottom feeder. I LIKE this pistol! Lee needs to make a 6 holer for this bullet!

I use the Lee in an EG Mak and it loves it. If Lee made a 6 holer, I'd jump all over it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard, SD!

I'll echo the above posts about cast boolits in the Makarovs. I have an EG Mak and bought the RCBS then-limited production mould for it in 1991 or so. The pistol digests castings without a stutter. My Mak has been by some distance the best pocket blowback autopistol I've ever owned--and I've had a number of them, to include Walther, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, Mauser, and Colt.

You'll note that boolits for the Maks have a very blunt profile and short ogive radius. This is part of their design, the case being 1mm longer than the 380 ACP but the Makarov's cartridge max overall length identical to that of the 380 (.984").

As above, the best fuels for the Makarov run between Bullseye/WW-231 and Unique speeds. Use 380 ACP data to start, maxing out at 5%+ to 10%+ 380 ACP data.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I have also had good results with the Lee bullet in a Bulgarian Makarov and a Polish P-64 as far as accuracy and feeding. I don't like to tumble them in LLA because of gumming up the die and gun so I am trying to dip the them up to the lube groove and leave the nose clean. My pistols have a large bore and I need to shoot them as cast at .367. The only sizer Lyman makes is .363 and that's to small for my bore.

I installed a heavy recoil spring in the Bulgarian, I think it is easier on the gun and doesn't launch the cases quite as far. If I use it for conceled carry I use factory HP but for plinking I use a light load of 231 that will cycle the action reliably.

beemer

Never owned a polygonal pistol, reason being of what I've researched over time.. The Mak on the other hand, whats jacketed mean?
    Sprue ™