RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hughesnet internet?

Hughesnet internet?

Comcast is greedy, upped our internet service again.

We got a card from Hughesnet. maybe cheaper? I don't know. what we have is one computer, one T.V. running Ruku. Anybody have Hughesnet, and if so are they worth changing to from Comcast? Prices? Streaming? Reliability?

Boolit Master

The biggest issue with satellite is typically the data caps. They have their issues in storms, just like satellite TV, and can sometimes slow down depending on the usage density in your area. Don't underestimate how much that Roku will use for streaming. I don't know that those have a built in monitor to see how much data has been used.

Boolit Master
    My info is a bit dated, but i had a coworker that lived out off in the woods way beyond where the cable company provided service and barely had a telephone line. She tried Hughesnet satellite service and was less than impressed and ended up reverting back to dial-up.

Boolit Master

STAY AWAY!!!! Far away.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    We live out in the country and don't have access to cable or DSL, so we have both Verizon and Hughesnet for internet because we have a home office. One or the other works OK some of the time and some of the time neither of them work at all, especially during bad weather. Last night with good weather and clear skies it took Hughesnet nearly 45 minutes to download a QuickBooks update that would have taken 45 seconds with cable. My in-town office has cable and there is no comparison. Verizon and Hughesnet are better than dialup was.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Man
    A few people at our campground have it and the ones I have talked to about it were less than impressed with it. I've been looking into starlink (Musk's new internet venture). It's $500 for equipment and then $99/month for unlimited. We have been switching our phones to unlimited for years and if you are at camp during the week it works ok, but once the weekend hit and the place gets full service goes downhill fast.

HughesNet sucks. Not Recommended. Had it for several yeras when we had no other choice but as soon as another option was available we took it.

Boolit Buddy

Like others have said, data caps and storms make it a non starter here. Neighbor tried it and was not happy.

I signed up for Starlink, supposed to be available here this year. starlink.com

Boolit Man
    A neighbor has had it for about a year and is not happy, it is hard to have a conversation and not have to hang up and call back about 1 in 3 times. They will be switching when there's another option as well. At this point everyone is hoping Starlink works like it is being promised.

Boolit Master
    if its the only option it works, its lightning fast compared to service from frontier through the phone line but it a bit slower than 4 bars on a Verizon phone.
    via sat is the same price and supposed to be faster

We have a choice of 3 internet/TV providers here.

Hughesnet is far and away the worst for down time and their customer service seems to work on the theory that:
    'the customer is always wrong,,,,,, or just plain stupid'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Hughes net sucks to be blunt! I had it for 2 years. Data caps meant no watching more than 1 YouTube video a day, no way could you stream TV, customer service is horrible and treats you like you are an idiot even after I told them my credentials on computers and RF... absolute worst ISP I have dealt with.

I would be patient, part of Biden's big plan is running fiber to remote locations...

Boolit Grand Master
    None of the satellite options are very good. I have suffered since I move to rural MI. Like others, I have signed up for StarLink and paid $100 up front to hopefully get to the front of the line for service. O currently use a JetPack from Verizon and two simm cards but run out of capacity after 2 1/2 weeks just using the computer and tablet....then it is really slow.

I would not sign a contract with Hughesnet.
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

"hugessuck" There I corrected their spelling/naming mistake ...sorry no way
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I think we have consensus, Hughes Sucks!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Do what both my wife and my office manager do when rates go up ... Call the company , tell them you aren't happy with the "New" rates and lets work something out ... would hate to discontinue your good service ... If that person can't find you a discount or new deal ...ask to speak to some one else ... their boss or someone in the deal making department ... usually they can do some mumbo-jumbo kind of refinagling and get your rate back to what it was .
    They like to add on junk you don't want or need , up your bill and see if you aren't paying attention ...they can take the junk off and get your rates down and sometimes they have these special deals ...just be nice and be persistent , don't let them go until you get the price down ...

Do Not let on they have you between a rock and a hard place ...act like if they don't get the rate down you don't have a problem jumping ship !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I would be patient, part of Biden's big plan is running fiber to remote locations...
    I hope that's sarcasm, we've been hearing rural broadband since Obozo.

Boolit Master

I know it is not the same (thread drift) but it sounds a lot like like DirectTV, always upping the rate. I had a 2-year DirectTV contract. They never read it. Every month I had to call to correct their billing. Two years of every month calling and in the 2nd year it was worse, 'cause I had burned out all of the front line callers, who had to transfer me to Supervisors, and was working on burning the Supers out as well. I knew most of the gals in Customer Retention by their first name and voice recognition.

Never again. In the end though, with financial perks, discounts, credit cards, and "incentives" for me to stay, they ended up PAYING ME to view their channels - but I EARNED IT. Nobody in their back offices double check the stuff they try to pull and eventually the price they pay when you are PERSISTENT and INSISTENT in holding their feet to the contract provisions.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

OK, you mind-numbed gamers and video addicts, you've had your say. I've been on Hughes satellite for over ten years and am perfectly satisfied with it. No, it's not for sogging in front of a screen watching a bad movie and binge eating Cheetos. VOIP has the problem of latency. (Time up to satellite and back down) which annoys some people. About twice a winter I have to brush snow off the dish.

For news, weather, blogging and email it's perfectly fine. One feature I REALLY like is that it firewalls against the constant pinging by Chinese (and FedGov) computers looking for an unguarded port to hack into, (yeah FedGov - I used to see them all the time in my logs, before I switched.) And if somebody wants to geolocate my IP address all they get is a location in a central Kansas feedlot. Having a life outside movies, gaming and Bitcoin mining, I'll stick with HughesNet even if they do bring fiberoptic into my valley.

No, they haven't upped my rate. In fact I pay less now than when I started ten+ years ago.
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-06-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    hughes had a class action and were out for loooong time . 1 out 20, can see that
    but dont go there, i got 1.44 in the settlement
    if you want the dish its here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast