Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: New to using a 'PEEP & GLOBE' at 50 yards...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tobin View Post
    Don't ya worry old dawg, my brain has so many ideas I can't stand it!!!!

'Thin post & .353" x .110" ... me thinks?'
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Sometime back my buddy OK asked if I could make a clear aperture with a floating ring in it. At times he thinks I can do Magic! So as time went by I thought how it could be done. Now I did have some .030 clear acrylic sheet that I could use, now how to cut it perfectly round. So I made a jig for my metal lathe, I used a piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod as a starting point. Then I could use 1/4-20 nuts to hold the piece if sheet to mill. The problem is the nuts would scratch the acrylic, so I made bushing that were smaller that the ring I was putting in. So if any scratching occurred it would be cover by the ring itself. Then I designed the ring with a shoulder on it in 3d Cad that would fit perfectly in the clear acrylic. All I needed to do was very carefully epoxy the ring in. So here's my build of it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	280719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	280720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	280721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	280722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	280723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	280724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	280725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clear insert v1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	280728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	280726

they use this type in Olympic Shooting Sports here's a short video of that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsEa7pxiYBw
    Last edited by Harry Tobin; 04-02-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

Harry--- that is some outstanding work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Harry--- that is some outstanding work.
    Thank you tazman, sometimes my brain won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tobin View Post
    Thank you tazman, sometimes my brain won't stop
    Not necessarily a bad thing. You have to take creativity as it comes. Sometimes it doesn't work when you try to force it.

Not necessarily a bad thing. You have to take creativity as it comes. Sometimes it doesn't work when you try to force it.
    hahaaa...All Harry needs is an 'unwitting subject' for that brain he has. There's no empty space between that boy's ears. Harry can't leave anything alone...gotta make it better!
    I love that about my 'Yankee Little Brother'!

I told'Ya this morning thank you & I'll tell'Ya again right here...."Thank you Harry, I'd hate to think what I'd do without your so much needed & appreciated help!"

I can't wait to use it!

I'll try and remember him if I ever need something along these lines. I have zero skill in this department.

Harry's Y-Tube channel is 'BACKYARD INVENTOR'...I swear, he builds everything!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...wcdd0j6pdFTsXw

RUNNING OUT OF ELEY . . .

SO...I decided to try some Federal Premium HV Match, wet swabbed the barrel clean and gave it a go . . .

I remember this from early last spring in some other rifles...I wasn't impressed then & still ain't impressed now...

These are 2" spots so I guess you could call this ammo... "Minute of Tin Can" at 50 yds?
    Until Eley gets more ammo in, I'll have to be satisfied with this.
    I thought 20 rounds would season a clean barrel but I don't think that happened today.

When I was initially testing ammo in another rifle a couple of years ago, I ran across some of both the HV Match and Target from Federal. I was getting bughole groups at 25 yards with it. Not so much at 50 yards but certainly better than what it seems to do for you.
    Federal Auto Match, HV Match, Target, and CCI Standard velocity were my go to because of availability and accuracy in my rifles.
    Now I am relying on Aguila Rifle Match, Norma Match, and Eley(when I can get it).
    Right now I have to do my testing with what I have on hand. Can't just run to the store and buy whatever I want to try these days.

Taz....I haven't gone to prove it but at 25 yds. I'll bet they don't drop back through the speed of sound...might be why they appear good at that distance?...but at 50 they do, that really screws with the accuracy...me thinks?

This is not the Match but it's their Federal Target bulk pack...muzzle 1,200 fps and I put the chrono at the backstop and clocked them under the speed of sound, I expect the HV Match is the same.

Aguila, rated at 1,255 fps @ muzzle did the same thing but I clocked the fps's at the muzzle and at the backstop on these...

Tried to improve on Sunday's target...I repaired the 2" spots and went at it again...then again with 4" spots.

No matter the iris opening, there's still some 'fuzz' using the 2" spots but they are much easier for me using Harry's .353" x .110" post globe. When they are centered up they really 'pop', they are black & contrast is good. They look like a fish eye, with this size globe there's almost no dispersion of light in the globe affecting the spot clarity, the 'fuzzy' look is always around the outside white ring around the globe in the iris. I've found that when the dispersion is bad, I can lift my head off the riser & blink & go back into position and the dispersion will minimize.

The 4" spots would seem easier to see at 50 yards but they don't 'pop' like the 2" ones...these look medium to dark grey because of the dispersion of light & they have a much narrower white ring around them in the globe...they look real fuzzy.

All in all considered, I suppose the Federal HV Match isn't all as bad as I make it out to be...it's more disappointing though, I do my job correctly and send them right, they start building a nice little grouping and almost always one or two of them have to go flier on me. It's good for trigger time but they don't build confidence.

I see that most of your targets are marked as wind being under 4 mph. I wouldn't think that would have much effect on things. I envy you in that.
    I tried to shoot yesterday and again, the wind was 15 mph sideways and gusting/swirling. My 14 day forecast calls for winds between 12 and 19 mph every single day. Hard to find out what a rifle can do with these conditions.

tazman... That was very good conditions, even when it's 5 mph it doesn't seem to affect POI much, if any.
    My house blocks most directions of wind, except for the E-W blows for the last 25 yards, the gusts can get pretty wild on this ridge.
    The other day a gust lifted the umbrella right out of it's holder and sent it flying across the yard!

I have been thinking of finding out how potentially accurate this MKII really is.
    Some of you have dogged me about mounting a scope to determine that earlier on in this thread. I was adamant against that.
    Not so much now...now that I am more proficient with the Peep & Globe...I may be at my best level achievable with my eyes...SO...why not do more experimenting?

I expect to see Harry's new 'postless-globe' creation in the mail soon...I want to try that for a while, I expect that globe is going to be something special!

But...in the meantime, I have ordered a 2 piece rail set, due in next week...

And I have a very nice 6-24x40mm 1/8 MOA Bushnell Elite mil dot sitting on a 30-06 in the safe...

I think that might give the MKII a better chance of showing off what she can do without my bad eyes influencing her ability with the peep & globe?
    This will be an experiment, just to see what I might be able to do with the peep & globe should a miracle happen... I look at this as 'Setting the Bar' so to speak.

QUESTION TO ALL...
    DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH 'Eley contact .22lr Subsonic' ? How has it performed for you, would you recommend it as a cheap practice round for precision shooting?

I was thinking of including a couple bricks in my next order of the Eley Match ammo...it looks to be 2 grains heavier and a tad-bit faster than the Match 40 grain BUT it is $10 a box cheaper...

Nice scope that. I have a scope with range adjustments that allows me to focus both cross-hair and target.

I wonder why Eley would load ammo to 1090 fps? For warmer weather maybe? Fiocchi OFFICIAL match ammo comes in three velocities, 280, 300 and 320. That translates into 918, 984 & 1050 fps. I picked up some 300 to test (the only one available). Anyway, that doesn't answer your question.

On bad eyes - a pair of scopes arrived in the mail a day or two ago and I just could not get the target and cross-hairs to focus together. Then I looked through one with me reading glasses. Problem solved! No good for hunting cause I can't walk around in the bush wearing reading glasses but I can stick a lens on the eyepiece and it works the same. It doesn't work for open sights though. Anyway, I'll be off to the range on Sunday to test my new improved vision and that new ammo.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

HARRY TOBIN the BACKYARD INVENTOR ... has done it again! ... "THANK YOU HARRY MY FRIEND!"

This 'postless' globe arrived in the mail yesterday, what a terrific little device, I can't imagine trying to manufacture something like this!

That missing set of 'cross bars' or the 'single post' makes such a difference in the way it looks!
    (you can't imagine how many pictures this ole'Fart had to take to get one that worked!)
    The iris is wide open for the camera shot, I shoot with it much smaller....

Still a wide open iris for the picture but this is very close to what I see now...
    That 3" target spot reminds me of a fish eye, when it's aligned it really 'pops out' at me. I can see it so clearly now...this session was late in the afternoon and the light is all shaded coming from the backstop.

This is so clean looking, I can't imagine why they are not available in various OD's and ID's for all the various sights manufactured.

This is the first session with it mounted and it is the Federal HV Match ammo (until I mount that scope and further prove out the ammo & the MKII's abilities, I think I'll quit bashing this ammo...) but...I think I did see a little improvement.
    (Ooop's...forgot to change the date & wind...date was Thurs. Apr. 8'th & wind was from the left at 2 to 5mph.)

I know I did see a very different sight picture, I believe this removal of all support structures within the globe assembly helps to remove all the 'light dispersion' around those pieces.
    I think it gave me the ability to use a smaller iris setting now before the light dims too much to be useful, the smaller my iris, I've found the 'fuzz' (light dispersion) starts showing up quickly.
    Last edited by OS OK; 04-09-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Harry Tobin..... That is one of the best and most perfectly executed ideas I have seen in quite a while. Well done!

Boolit Buddy
    Harry Tobin..... That is one of the best and most perfectly executed ideas I have seen in quite a while. Well done!
    Thank you tazman, just trying to help my friend with my skills

Practicing with inaccurate ammo makes you doubt your skills ... or at least I think it does for me.
    When you have a good release and call your shot, then peer into the scope to see where it hit and don't find it there, I doubt my abilities after a while. It makes me wonder if it's me first or something else second?

Today's first session...

Normally I don't do anything to the bore before 250 shots and then I'll wet swab it and dry. Today I had an idea to dry patch it twice before practice because I was accumulating pretty many shots so far. I'm thinking of the lousy groups of this Federal Match & thinking how tazman said it performs well for him. Bottom line, I'm really putting the blame on me...maybe I'm going through a plateau or something?

Notice how the first shot almost landed on the other target & it took 2 more shots for it to get on target. That's unusual. See the patches below, I hardly pulled anything from the barrel but it made such a big difference on the warmer target. I even used a .17 caliber jag to push the patches so it wouldn't scrub the barrel from a tight fit...

Looking down the barrel it looks clean as a whistle, there's no leading or bad spots in the rifling. Just a few threads left there from the patch...

In the afternoon I went for another session but wanted to change to some Aguila Super Extra I have left. I didn't want to wet swab the barrel so I just did the dry patch again but this time I followed with a 3'rd patch I had dabbed in a tin of Imperial sizing wax. I wanted to see what that would do, if anything...

Gave it the 10 warm up shots and was surprised how they walked right in with only one shot off spot. Shots 2 ~ 5 wandered around some and then suddenly 6 ~ 10 almost got in the same hole? Strange these barrels, I wonder if I'll ever understand them?

Well, I ended the day satisfied that I am not loosing my skill set, the Aguila grouped up pretty good...so much better than that dang Federal HV Match. Taz....I don't think this MKII likes the stuff & I'm glad it wasn't me after all.

I seem to remember doing a weight-sort on Federal "Match" and finding it no better than some of the commodity brands. I think they are just selling the label.

I'm more than curious to know whether that sizing die wax had anything to so with that lot of groups you got with the Aguia.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast