WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee disappoints......

Boolit Master
    I would bet the originals are Delrin and the replacements just plastic. My original lasted 20 years, the replacement, one week.

Lee disappoints......

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    I have yet to replace the ratchet on my indexing turret press. I read the directions carefully so I do not damage it by improper use. If you are damaging the ratchet it is your technique. Review your setup & method.
    lol, my technique? I suppose I need to sit down when cranking down on the lever versus standing up? Or perhaps I should listen to Raygay music instead of Oldies? Or maybe, just maybe I should chew gum, sit down and listen to Cuomo while attempting to reload ammo?
    Last edited by Joel Chavez; 03-09-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    In Christ,

JC

Yeh....not much technique in pulling the slot machine handle and turning the turret plate. I like Lee and the majority of my reloading equipment consists of Lee products but they do have “throw”away parts but the parts are cheap enough to replace and I just keep extras.

Boolit Master
    I had a 1000 from when they came until a few years ago and had spare parts but I must have included them with my 1000 when I gave it away if still had them I would send them to you but no luck I know I had a few and don't think I ever replaced the one that came with the press . All the parts I have now are for the LCT and ABLP .
    Maybe some one else has some hiding in a corner

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Maybe some one else has some hiding in a corner
    So to load 1k rounds I would rhetorically need 140 ratchets at $8.50 shipped for (2) which would bring the total cost of approximately $595 in plastic ratchets lol. Yeah, the lady at Lee said their machine that makes the part has been down for some time now and didn’t know when it would be back online. I’ll just leave it be and hope the 4hole Classic will auto index longer than this 3holer did
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master
    Having used a press with the same indexing system for more than 20 years I know they will work better than what you have experienced but if you have a 4 hole turret coming then it does not matter much . I find the 4th station very handy and the classic cast turret is one of my favorite presses to load on , 0 problems with mine only mod I have done on it is a rubber band to keep the primer feed tilted away from the press
    Hope it works good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Having used a press with the same indexing system for more than 20 years I know they will work better than what you have experienced but if you have a 4 hole turret coming then it does not matter much . I find the 4th station very handy and the classic cast turret is one of my favorite presses to load on , 0 problems with mine only mod I have done on it is a rubber band to keep the primer feed tilted away from the press
    Hope it works good for you.
    Yeah I’m gonna set up all my rifle dies on the 3holer and manually index it like i have been doing for the last 20yrs or so. The 4holer will be set up for my pistol dies. I’m looking at those bullet feeding dies for it too.
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Grand Master

There is a lot to be said for manual indexing ... the least of which is ... no ratchet required !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Pattern one out of aluminum.

I don't count on lee indexing. I pulled my rod on my 4 hole the day I got it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Pattern one out of aluminum.

I don't count on lee indexing. I pulled my rod on my 4 hole the day I got it.
    I think my wife bought me a four hole around twenty years ago. I've loaded more .45 both ACP and LC than I can count. 9 and .38 got run for a bunch of rounds a few times.

I have always loaded more in my single stage presses but I'm a rifle shooter. The four hole works the best when doing 200-500 plus. I go stready on the handle and it indexs everytime.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Been manually turning the 3 hole plate for over 20 years. Never even considered using a ratchet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Maybe Lee knows there’s a problem and that’s why their machine making them is down, until they solve the problem.

Boolit Master

Probably a 3d printer....

Boolit Master
    I have never run my Lee turret manually except when adjusting the dies in the turret.
    I clocked 50 rounds of 44 special on it one time after refilling powder and primer feed .
    Not trying to go crazy fast , but at a quick pace the 50 rounds took 16 min , that is priming on the press and using the auto index . I consider that pretty good for a single stage press.

Boolit Master

I wonder how that part, if made of powdered metal instead of plastic, would hold up.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I wonder how that part, if made of powdered metal instead of plastic, would hold up.
    well, it couldn’t be worse lol......
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master

I still think some aluminum billet and cnc magic or even brass and casting sand and some hand polishing would be light years ahead of the plastic jobbers.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 03-09-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I still think some aluminum billet and cnc magic or even brass and casting sand and some hand polishing would be light years ahead of the plastic jobbers.
    questions is how to even start lol.....
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Master

Pattern one. Casting sand and low temp melt is easy. Even use tin.. Pattern, melt, pour. Set, cleanup.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Lee makes some plastic parts, not to be cheep but to be the weak link that strips or breaks to avoid damage to other more costly parts. That's not a bad thing, some reloaders can (and do) damage steel and cast iron parts.

Lee molds some plastic parts but they don't make the plastic itself. If they have a batch of brittle parts I'd bet it's because their plastics supplier sold them a bad batch.