Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky

Thread: What tool to cut 00 apart?

Boolit Mold

What tool to cut 00 apart?

Hi guys, I have seen a post about a particular tool to cut 00 apart and now I can't find it. Thanks for all info. Mac

I'm a little lost as to what you're after. Do you want to cut open 00 buckshot shells? Ballistic Products Inc. makes a tool for cutting shotshells, and carries one other not made by them. You can view their website catalog.

DG

Boolit Buddy

I think hes talking about strings of 00 cast. Most people use some form of side cutters.

Boolit Man
    "Flush cut" side cutters, you can buy them on ebay for $2 each so get a few as they are handy for cutting other things too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    "Flush cut" side cutters, you can buy them on ebay for $2 each so get a few as they are handy for cutting other things too.
    Like zip ties

Boolit Buddy
    As it’s been answered well I’ll add a bit about finishing the shot. A tiny bit of graphite and just shot on a vibratory tumbler for a few hours beats them round as factory shot.

Boolit Mold
    Yea sorry guys, I meant cutting the 00 buck shot apart. Danish do you mean just the 00 buckshot in the tumbler or add some smaller shot to the mix? I knew I had seen someone say Walmart had the cutters but didn't know what they looked like or what to call them.Thanks Mac

Boolit Grand Master

I find if I cast fast and open mould just as the lead is freezing the 3 pieces of 00 buck generally break apart. If not I just roll an Olfa utility knife blade over the joint after the shot cools and they come apart easy.

Nothing wrong with side cutters or end cutters though. To each his own.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I saw a youtube video of a guy doing what I had considered. He is loading 3 strings of 3 00 buckshot and had good results shooting them at 55 yards, with and without buffer. I think bubba roundtree was his name. I tell ya'll what if you don't go to harbor freight, you are missing out on some really good stuff at crazy cheap prices. I like the plastic 30 cal ammo cans, that is what I stock up on and give my friends and family ammo in at Christmas.

Boolit Master
    dog toe nail clippers work best cheap at the dollar store get 3 or 4 . for 5bucks
    last i got was at big lots seem to last but was very expensive
    $1.25 each

Boolit Master

Or in the sewing/craft department at Wally World. Mine have green handles and cost about $5. Work good./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

The little graphite and tumble shot smooth works well with a rolling tumbler such as a FART or Harbor Freight rock polisher too. Nothing wrong with the shot molds that you trim but you might want to check out MP molds, there was a group buy of 8 cavity buck shot molds and at one time he had some extras on his web site. Track of the Wolf carries a Lee 6 cavity .31 round ball mold which is essentially #1 buck shot. Another potential no trim option.

Most folks won't use enough buck shot to make trimming a large burden. I just mentioned those as options because they can potentially up your production with less work in case that is desired and the available shot sizes are acceptable. I know if I get #4 buck mold it will be either the Lee string of pearls or the side string as shown in the picture above. Both will require trimming. With buckshot costing what it does, and buckshot shells unavailable (yet again) having the molds is nice.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

I have the .31 from Track of the Wolf and while it works well, it produces a ton of sprue. I only have a 10lb pot and I find it rather aggravating to have to constantly stop and add lead back and wait for it to come to temp. I just ordered one of the double sided molds that cast in strings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtshooter View Post
    Hi guys, I have seen a post about a particular tool to cut 00 apart and now I can't find it. Thanks for all info. Mac
    Ax and a steady hand/ Ed

Good quality long knife. roll the string with the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm a little lost as to what you're after. Do you want to cut open 00 buckshot shells? Ballistic Products Inc. makes a tool for cutting shotshells, and carries one other not made by them. You can view their website catalog.

DG
    A pvc cutter works great to cut shotgun shells open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pvc cutter.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	278870