Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives

Oldest daughter was selling Cutco a few years ago so we bought a set. Seem to be pretty good. I thought more people were running them but maybe not.
    If I remember right, the company will sharpen them for nothing tho Ive always done it myself.

Boolit Master
    A Filipino coworker of mine uses Cutco knives. She recently sent in a Cutco chefs knife she chipped out by hitting a bone for repair. Cutco sent her a brand new knife! I'd say that says something for the company!

I recently found a knife that has impressed me more than I would have thought possible. The brand is Nexus, they are made from BD1N steel that's hardened to 63 rockwell. I bought them for my SIL and wife to use, I can hardly believe how they hold an edge!

Boolit Master

I also have Cutco knives in the kitchen. I’ve got no complaints. They’ve not cheap but they’re very high quality.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Oldest daughter was selling Cutco a few years ago so we bought a set. Seem to be pretty good. I thought more people were running them but maybe not.
    If I remember right, the company will sharpen them for nothing tho Ive always done it myself.
    Cutco are great for those who can't / don't like to sharpen knives .
    They are on the pricey side and I think you pay postage to send them in for sharpening .
    Thank goodness my Dad taught me how to sharpen knives and scissors at an early age .
    The old man didn't like dull blades...even the freaking Lawn Mower blade !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Cutco are great for those who can't / don't like to sharpen knives .
    They are on the pricey side and I think you pay postage to send them in for sharpening .
    Thank goodness my Dad taught me how to sharpen knives and scissors at an early age .
    The old man didn't like dull blades...even the freaking Lawn Mower blade !
    Gary
    Couldn't agree with you more. Properly sharpening knives is one of the easier skills to learn. I am surprised by how often people recommend them to be sent out to "Professional Sharpeners" In the case of working Chef's and meat cutters I can understand since they are being paid to be Chef's or meat cutters. For the home owner with high end knives the manufacture do an good job but that takes a lot of time to package them and send them in. More areas of the country have very limited true "Professional Quality Sharpeners". Most of the so called professional do a marginal job at best.

Lots of people have a hard time hand sharpening knives and that does require a fair amount of skill but with the cheap availability of the various sharpening systems I have a hard time understand why people send their knives out.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Apex Edgepro will let you hold the angle for proper sharpening. I even resharpen utility knife blades on it. I modded mine with a neodymium magnet to help hold the blade flat.

Boolit Master
    My grandmother taught me how to sharpen a knife when I was a wee thing in the early 70s. As teens my brother and I would have contest to see who could sharpen a knife and cut a tomato slice the thinnest. There are at least a hundred different ways to sharpen a knife, but if you want to learn free hand, get some decent stones, or diamonds, some pawn shop knives, and head towards Carnegie Hall!

I will add, if you intend to go to a high rockwell (58-65), and hi abrasive resistance, you better make sure your abrasive is up to the task! Some steel can be very difficult to sharpen!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I've had some very high end knives. For the most part I was not that impressed. After trying a bunch I have very happily settled on various NSF Certified Commercial knives that are dish washer safe. Mostly Forschner and F Dick. That is what 99% of the professional meat cutters use and a large portion of the professional chefs use.

I've been in a couple of TV chiefs actual kitchens. They, for the most part, don't use what they sell on TV.

Same for cutting boards. I have some real pretty wood cutting boards that never get used. What does get used are Antibacterial Synthetic Cutting Boards.

For sharpening I use the Wicked Edge system. https://wickededgeusa.com/

Knives are a tool to be used. I don't abuse them but if they have to be babied they need to be in a display case not the kitchen.
    The Wicked Edge system is incredible. A friend has their Pro Pack III. He was already good at sharpening bu5 with the Wicked Edge system he does an incredible job. The other side of the Wicked Edge is that it looks like anyone with an interest could learn to put a great edge on blades.

On an unrelated note, we have a mix of brands of kitchen knives. My favorite is a Henkel paring knife that’s easy to maintain and holds its edge very well. We have a 7” Kamikoto Santoku that I keep wanting very much to like. I just can’t get on board with the relatively thick single bevel edge. It takes different sharpening stones and techniques and single bevels just don’t cut like anything else in the kitchen.

For general sharpening I use a DMT 1000 grit diamond stone and green stropping compound on leather; the same as for my good chisels and plane irons.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

I start with 600 grit unless I have a nick to work out, for that I drop to 300 grit. After it is sharp on the 600 I go to 1,000 grit and really get an edge. 1,000 is plenty for general kitchen use knives. Display knives I would go to 2,000 to polish the edge. The EdgePro has diamond polishing tapes for that purpose.

Boolit Master
    I like the Wusthof classic series. Holds an edge well and touches up nicely with a steel. Had them for three years and only needed the steel so far.

Vendor Sponsor

I'm sure this will roll some eyes haha.. Walmart Farberware Chef Knife is the go to knife for 90% of my cutting needs, I keep it sharp with a WorkSharp sharpener with the brown belt.

I have some really nice vintage Cutco knives, they stay in their factory sheath until a fancy cutting job comes along then out they come for that job.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    I also have Cutco knives in the kitchen. I’ve got no complaints. They’ve not cheap but they’re very high quality.
    Same. mostly Cutco here.
    I also have a smattering of wüsthof and victorinox, mostly boning and breaking knives. I might mention, with 2 exceptions, those were inherited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I like the Wusthof classic series. Holds an edge well and touches up nicely with a steel. Had them for three years and only needed the steel so far.
    I've been using Wusthof knives for 20 years. They are not cheap but they have proven to be excellent knives. The steel is top quality and they hold an edge better than any other knife I've used.
    I keep less expensive knives on hand for tasks that I will not subject the good knives to.

You really don't need a lot of good knives, just a few for serious cooking. I can't recommend buying an entire set. It's too expensive and you don't need half of the set. Buy a long carving knife, a chef's knife (Santoku style), a couple of utility 6" knives and a small pairing knife.

A good bread knife is nice but a cheap one will work almost as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I'm sure this will roll some eyes haha.. Walmart Farberware Chef Knife is the go to knife for 90% of my cutting needs, .......

NOPE, no eye rolling at all.
    I keep inexpensive knives on hand and they cut just as well as the best knives. The only difference is you have to sharpen them more often.

If I had to choose between only having top quality kitchen knives or inexpensive kitchen knives, I would likely opt for the less expensive knives. I will put a cheap knife in the dishwasher (yeah, I know - bad idea) and I don't care if I abuse a cheap knife.

You can sharpen just about any knife, the difference is how long will the steel hold that edge.

Boolit Master
    I used to have Forschner but they weren't fireproof. This time I bought a $29 set of Cusinart "German Steel" kitchen knives and spent the big money on a 10" wetstone grinder.

In my work I slay a lot of cardboard. I keep 4 Gerber folding clip knives in rotation and swap when they get dull. By the time I've gone through 3-4 folders it's time to do the kitchen knives and a few chisels, maybe a plainer. I've probably got better steel in the shop than I do in the kitchen. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

My GF recently bought me a set of Shun knives. These are Jap knives. They are gorgeous and razor sharp. I use them on special occasions, like when we’re cooking together. My daily use knives is a cheap set of farberware knives I picked up 5-6 years ago when restocking the house after divorce. They continue to soldier on reliably and get sharpened from time to time on “The Work Sharp” sharpening system. Super easy to use.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one with a “good and everyday” set

Banned
    The Japanese know how to make a good knife!
    When it comes to high quality kitchen knives, I would put the Germans and Japanese in the same top bracket.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Old Hickory knives for as long as I can remember. A buddy got us a set for a wedding present. Still have all but one. That one was a small boning knife. I used it and sharpened it so much I finally ran out of blade to sharpen. My son gave me a 10" butcher knife due to BBQ Pitboys.com. That thing is just the ticket! I've also reground several to make hunting/camp knives. To my way o thinkin, there's none better

So what is the deal with dish washers? Ive never heard that before. Do they rattle against or or what?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    So what is the deal with dish washers? Ive never heard that before. Do they rattle against or or what?
    Dries out wood handles, blades can rattle together and the claim is that the water spray abrasion/soap dulls the knives. I don't know about the last and I really don't care about any of it. I sharpen the knives as needed and if I have to do it a couple of times per year more so what? It's a rare day when you find a knife in my kitchen that you can not shave with.

For wood handled knives I soak them in mineral oil maybe every three or for months. Mostly when they come out of the dish washer when hot. The handles on my Chicago Cutlery have survived for 35 years doing this. I always run heavy duty was with the sanitary rinse and dry.

Carbon steel knives never go into the disk washer at my house.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast