Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: colloidal graphite source?

Boolit Mold

colloidal graphite source?

I've been reading Phillip Sharpe's book on reloading and am impressed by what he says about colloidal graphite. The problem so far has been finding any. Does anyone know and care to inform me as to where I can purchase this in a small test quantity? I did find a source of 50 pound bags of it.

Boolit Master

You might look for 'microfine' graphite.
    I believe that it is the same stuff.

Jack

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

I may have some

however, I will need to check. If I do, how much do you need to experiment with? What I have, if I still have it, was used to mix with some HEAVY oil to lube turbine bearings from my past life when I worked in the sugar refining industry. I made up some graphite grease wads similar to the old IPCO wads and it worked quite well, but I haven't done that for years. If I don't post in a day a so, PM me to remind me. Old age, ya know....

Boolit Mold
    Researching a bit I found a benchrest forum in which a poster said he applies micro fine graphite to his barrel bore before he puts it away. I got the impression he swabs lockEZE down it. I was thinking more of making up my own lube tubes with it.

Boolit Buddy
    The farmers around here use a fine graphite in with the seed in their seeders. Is that what your looking for? I use it on lots of things I want to lube without the cold gumming things up. (Locks, semiautos ect) If so PM me and I'll send you some.

Boolit Master

The 1# can on my workbench is green and yellow and the label says "John Deere Lubricating Graphite, PN B12343B"...I bought it on a farm sale about 20 years ago and still have almost half the can left.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Reading the book Mr. Sharpe says colloidal graphite doesn't damage barrels, but that larger size grains do. Evidently colloidal means it is exceedingly fine, almost to a molecular size.

"The term colloidal refers to a state of subdivision, implying that the molecules or polymolecular particles dispersed in a medium have at least in one direction a dimension roughly between 1 nm and 1µm," http://old.iupac.org/reports/2001/co..._t/node33.html

Mr Sharpe's book was written in 1937, the term may have had a looser meaning then. (But I kinda doubt that) So far by searching under that specification (Colloidal) I've only found large volume suppliers for harsh environment industrial applications, the nuclear industry, for instance. Very odd that Mr. Sharpe spoke of it as being somewhat common in 1937. Maybe I'll give a graphite manufacturer a call and find out more. Thanks for all the kind offers.
    Parts

Banned

lock graphite is small particle stuff.
    i have used it mixed in my lubes to firm them up you don't need very much.

Boolit Buddy
    Ace Hardware used to sell a small plastic bottle 4-5oz, not sure if they still do. I bought mine there back in the early 90's.

good luck

In Remebrance

Check Mcmaster-Carr or Graingers.

There used to be a product called Lock-Eze it was/is powdered graphite and alcohol. The alcohol carried the graphite into the lock and then evaporated leaving the graphite. It could be found at hardware stores and locksmiths.

Jeff

I still have 3 old sticks of IPCO colloidal graphite lube. Its pretty good stuff and hard to come by now. Im holding out on using it for some reason and I cant figure out why.LOL. They also made colloidal graphite lube wads in various sizes and thickness.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Check your local farm supply such as Runnings or Tractor Supply Company (TSC) for seed lubricant. This is micro fine graphite and comes in the 1# or so tin. It is quite inexpensive and will give you great pleasure making your fingers black and slick. I suppose some of this stuff mixed with bee wax and a little vegetable oil might make a dandy lube.
    Dan

I just looked at my can and it is sold under the name "Slip Plate."

Boolit Master

moly is a better lube. Guy on feebay has it I got a lb use much less and works better I use it in the Lee TL makes nice dull gray boolits. The animals cant see them coming. Need some let me know $12 1/4lb shipped shotman/rick

Boolit Master
    In Sharpe's day the Acheson Co. sold colloidal graphite in an oil or grease suspension under the name "Oildag." I think they are still in business. You could e-mail them and find a local supplier.