RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: I need 500 S&W CB load info 340gn RNFP

Smile I need 500 S&W CB load info 340gn RNFP

I have some bear creek supply 340gn RNFP that I would like to load for my 500 S&W any ideas on COL or amount of AA#9 to use?

I have first loaded 30gns of #9 at 2.060 came out to 1430 fps, some lead streaks in the barrel, I stoped after one round, cleaned up very easy, these are molly coated lead cast,

These have a crip grove higher up near the flat point end, but will make them much shorter COL. Any info would be great!

How did the Primer look? did it look as if it was near max pressure? I don't really have much info for AA#9 but it sounds like that might be a little fast, Id say if the pressure signs look good then continue on with 5 shots and see what the Barrel is doing, if it appears to be leading extensively then back off. maybe drop a grain or two and see what happens. another thing that you can try is some Lee Alox mixed with about a 1/2 cap full of mineral spirits and tumble those bullets around in it, dry then load back at 30.0 grns. you might also call Bear Creek and see if they have any load data for you.

As far as COL you can play with it a little, unfortunately there isn't a lot of data out there so you are flying in the wind, you are going to need to crimp it, maybe move 5 of them down to the crimp grove and see how it preforms. I have always thought that they wouldn't put a crimp grove there if it wasn't needed.

hope this might help
    ECV
    JULIA, C, BULETTE, 1864

Thanks,
    Pressure signs looked fine, not hard to extract the case, primers were not pancaked, still can read the C on the mag tech LR primers, I set some on the crimp die and filled them to 25gns of #9, seated much shorter than first time, and the Berrys are set at 2.080 on the crimp canalure with a harty crimp, I'll test tomorrow and report, thanks! I'll try that lube on my next 5 loads of lead

Speer 14 shows 500 S&W data with their 350 grain UCSP and AA #9:

Start: 34.0 gr @ 1441 fps; MAX 38.0 gr @1643 fps.

yes, let us know, I would like to hear the results of these loads
    ECV
    JULIA, C, BULETTE, 1864

Boolit Grand Master
    Are they ONLY moly coated? If so, then the LLA route mentioned, is needed. I moly my cast boolits before sizing/lubeing, but don't depend on the moly coating alone.

So far:
    Berrys Jacketd bullet 350gn with AA #9 30.5 gn 2.085 COL = 1365 fps but lee roll crimp came "Loose" after 3 rds and the last two were way pushed out, so I had to re seat bullet. ( I ordered the Redding Profile Crimp die)

Should I be using LR Mag Primers? or regular large rifle should do with AA #9? I'm getting unburnt powder in the cyclinder and bore.

Bear Creek was 350gn Molly coated only, no gas checks, COL 1.915 25gns AA #9 1260 fps left some small amounts of residue in the bore, so I guess I may have to try a slower powder?

Any info would be great! THanks to you all.