Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb new guy question about melting lead.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    snip

Thanks for all those tips. I appreciate it.

Boolit Mold
    I ran into a friend on mine today at the gun shop. We got talking about the the current panic and how tough it was to find stuff. I mentioned that I was shooting more BP and just getting into casting. Turns out he has all the stuff, smelter, dipper etc. He's never gonna use it again but needs hunting caliber brass. Turns out i have a bunch he needs that I won't ever use. We're gonna do some horse trading so I'll see what I pick before I buy anything.

Boolit Mold
    BTW.....is there a book that I should have for this? Something for a reference/instruction?

Boolit Master
    There are a number of standard references out there.

However, the vast majority of them are pretty out of date with respect to current trends (powder coat, fit being more important than hardness, more emphasis on 9mm, etc.).

Just reading stuff on this forum will probably get you more edumacated on being a well versed boolit maker than anything else. I rate this forum as being pretty darn good about being "self policing" with regard to casting misinformation. If someone posts something iffy, at least 3 others will typically jump in and provide better direction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks will give you a general idea, #4 is the current one. Mike Venturino has some books out that are helpful, although they are more about cartridge rifle than muzzle loaders.

Also any of Dean Grinnell's ABC's of Reloading.

I like the RCBS lead ladle better than the Lyman, but they both work.

Good Luck and be safe,

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 01-31-2021 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ive been using a 3 quart cast iron pot, a 12" dutch oven pot, a Lyman dipper and a lee 10# bottom pour pot for decades, does everything that needs to get done.
    ive used a few different burners including a turkey fryer and Coleman stove w propane adapter
    I’m fixing to melt my first batch of WW; COWW and SOWW.

I’ve got a 4qt Dutch oven and my question is which burner; Regular fish fry burner or Jet burner like used for crawfish? Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I learned a lot reading the Lyman #3. It takes you through the historical progression of lead projectiles, through the basics, and into some pretty in depth science. It’s is a bit outdated but is a decent foundation from which to start. More current trends, techniques and processes can be gleaned from this forum. Also “From Ingot to Target” is a great read for those starting out or those who just like to reread.

Read enough to know what you are doing and then DO IT. Nothing helps me learn like hands on experience. You’ll find your own method and rhythm and when, not if, you find an issue come here and search to see what others have done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    I’m fixing to melt my first batch of WW; COWW and SOWW.

I’ve got a 4qt Dutch oven and my question is which burner; Regular fish fry burner or Jet burner like used for crawfish? Thanks!
    I like the fish fry burner the weed burner one i bought is too much btus at least for my melting purposes.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 01-30-2021 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add word

Thanks. I would think you can control the heat better than with the jet burner.

Boolit Master

at 500 grain per boolit, that's 14 shot per pound. your Dutch pot will hold that-but you might want to tip it up on one side to deepen the pool in the corner, stack some bricks around the high side to hold in heat Colman stoves work fine but costly do not buy the "multi fuel gasoline units. They clog up after about one tank and the generator will need to be replaced

Marvinstuart.com has downloadable manuals including the Lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

That, and the forth edition are good reading. Plus from ingot to target is full of info, http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

FYI never use the casting pot to smelt scrap...now back to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I suspect you will find for larger bullets that pressure casting with a ladle with a nipple will work better than bottom pour.
    At this point you need to try as many things as you can. Then invest in what works for you.
    How can one pressure cast with a ladle better than pressure casting with bottom pour that has 20 pounds of lead weight above the spout? Just curious. I have an RCBS ladle I can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    I’m fixing to melt my first batch of WW; COWW and SOWW. I’ve got a 4qt Dutch oven and my question is which burner; Regular fish fry burner or Jet burner like used for crawfish? Thanks!
    I melted down and cleaned/fluxed 50 pounds of range scrap in my Dutch oven (I'm thinking mine is 6 qts) on my fryer base yesterday. It's the "jet" type. You have to be really careful with this method as the fryer can get the cast iron pot way hotter than needed therefore melting any zinc weights you might have missed in sorting. I would recommend keeping the SOWW and COWW separate.

I smelt in my magnum melter all the time. I have a setup for smelting with wood, but I'm out of convenient wood. It doesn't create any issues in a dipper pot, but of course would wreak havock on a bottom dripper.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest buying a 20# electric bottom pour pot to start with. Some casters use a ladle and they swear by it but a lot of us moved on to a bottom pour pot. I suggest the 20# over the 10# pot, especially since you are casting a big bullet.

I also agree with the others to have a separate larger pot to melt your scrap in and only put clean alloy into your casting pot.

I’ve got a new Lee 20# bottom drip, but don’t want to melt dirty lead in it. I’ve decided to just use the regular fish fry burner for more ‘control’ on heat. May take a bit longer, but I’m trying to learn anyway.

Boolit Master

If desperate , raid the kitchen and get the soup ladle that is in the bottom of the drawer and a pot that hasn't been used for a while. Not aluminum. The camp stove will make plenty of heat if you use a reasonable size pot. Just don't put the "missing" stuff back in the kitchen. " It just disappeared" " I know nothing" and stick to your story no matter what. Alternatively. Hit Goodwill and get what you need, that might be easier. If things become normal again you will be able to get real casting equipment, maybe but in the meantime you can be in business and make perfectly good boolits.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Midway show a Lee 4 pot in stock.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I suggest buying a 20# electric bottom pour pot to start with. Some casters use a ladle and they swear by it but a lot of us moved on to a bottom pour pot. I suggest the 20# over the 10# pot, especially since you are casting a big bullet.

I also agree with the others to have a separate larger pot to melt your scrap in and only put clean alloy into your casting pot.
    Thanks for the tip.

I found some nice single burner propane stoves on ebay. $20-39 normally. I have an 8" cast iron skillet. It will hold ten lbs. of wheel weights. Melts nicely and I use a magnet to fish out the steel clips.

Boolit Grand Master
    For you new guys, here is a bit of free advice.

The single best thing I ever did to make casting bullets enjoyable was to buy an electric lead melting pot.

I went from using a Coleman stove and trying to avoid the excess heat to being able to be comfortable with just a long sleeved shirt and leather gloves. Plus the face shield, gotta protect the eyes.

A Lee 4-20 isn't all that expensive, and you can try both bottom pouring and ladling with it. If you only want to ladle, the Lee magnum melter runs about $62.00 when it is in stock.

Robert