Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 9mm mold for 1911

Boolit Bub

best 9mm mold for 1911

So I only have one (yes one) 9mm, its a Springfield Range Officer that I purchased for my 14 year old son to use at our local steel challenge matches. as a new to casting, and current shortages i will cast for it. That being said I'm looking for real world advice on the best all around mold for that combo, Im leaning in the 124 range, I have no problem ordering new/custom or used if someone has something that would fit the bill. (I will post a WTB once I know what i'm looking for)
    These will be conventionaly lubed as I have not thought about powder coating yet. although I'm sure ill get there at some point!

NOE 135 rf, Lyman 356402, and Lee 120 tc in no particular order. All of these run well in my 9mm Range Officer.

Boolit Bub
    Taxman, thank you, which one do you prefer to cast with?

My favorite is the NOE although the Lee makes a lot of boolits in a hurry.

Boolit Master

I like the TL135RF from NOE, which is very like what Tazman recommends, but in a tumble lube format. That general flat-nosed bullet shape gives a good balance of penetration, tissue destruction, energy transfer to kinetic targets you're trying to knock over, and visible holes in paper targets. While they can be had in hollow point variations, and I have ordered several of that option for other calibers, the additional hollow point hardware does tend to complicate and slow the process.

I generally lean to heavy for caliber as penetration tends to be deeper and more consistent. While 147 grains at 1000 fps is great for expanding jacketed hollowpoints, in a non-expanding solid, I know from experience that nine milk jugs lined up will not stop one. Thus, I consider the 135 flat point a pretty good balance.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

My total favorite 9mm boolit for all uses is the MP 358-125. It's a round nose flat point. I have the eight cavity aluminum model. It just rains boolits. It's also been a very accurate boolit in over two dozen different firearms.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/357...e-groove-mold/
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Here's a 135 available from Miha over at MP Molds: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...e-multichoice/
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

i have four 9mm pistols SA 1911 5", and a SA EMP4 , EAA witness match and a Karh pm9. In 38 super i have a SA 1911 5" and a Caspian 1911 unlimited 6".
    I use .357 dia cast bullets in all , I have the RCBS 125 gr gc, Saeco #384 122 gr rn ,#377 122 tcbb, 929 145 swcbb ( i only normaly use the 929 in 38 super but did try in 9mm,
    I would say the Saeco #377 is the most accurate in all .

Boolit Grand Master

I just got my TL135RF from NOE a few days ago. I took a bit more time to "season/break in" than my other molds but yesterday I cast about 150 good boolits. I noticed one thing about my new NOE mold is that with the 300 or so bullets I've cast since I got it, not one bullet needed more than a shake to drop it from the mold. I measure and weighed some and they all were .357"-358" and 136 gr, +/- 1.5 grain...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    NOE 135 rf, Lyman 356402, and Lee 120 tc in no particular order. All of these run well in my 9mm Range Officer.
    Another new caster this spring here, I have the 9mm Range Officer also. I looked on the NOE web site and couldn't figure with 135 rf, you where referring to. Could I trouble you on which one?
    Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt- San Francisco May 13, 1903

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberman31 View Post
    Another new caster this spring here, I have the 9mm Range Officer also. I looked on the NOE web site and couldn't figure with 135 rf, you where referring to. Could I trouble you on which one?
    No problem on my end.
    Technically, the one I have is no longer produced exactly as I have it. The new designation is 358-136-FN-S1 https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...1-5-cavity-pb/
    This boolit is nearly exactly what I have. Close enough that I doubt I could see any difference between two boolits sitting side by side.
    I use the plain base for 99% of my use.
    While I also have a 2 cavity in hollow point, I seldom use it.

Boolit Master
    I have this mold and really like it. It is also VERY accurate with 38 special. Lyman has it for a 121 grain but mine is over size and drops at .360.

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I have this mold and really like it. It is also VERY accurate with 38 special. Lyman has it for a 121 grain but mine is over size and drops at .360.
    When you can get one to drop large, a lot of those boolits work well for 38 Special. That said, I prefer the Lee 358-125-rf for 38 Special in that weight range because of the crimp groove. I like to crimp my 38 Specials to avoid boolit movement under recoil.

tazman, thank you
    Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt- San Francisco May 13, 1903

I have issues with ny Springfield feeding full 10rd mags & anything but a RN in as first round. The various RNFP, 135-147gr will work but I was using a RN as first round on top. My choice was a Saeco 150gr RN #910.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I have issues with ny Springfield feeding full 10rd mags & anything but a RN in as first round. The various RNFP, 135-147gr will work but I was using a RN as first round on top. My choice was a Saeco 150gr RN #910.
    I had that issue with an RIA 9MM 1911 pistol. It would not feed the top round no matter the nose design or who made it. It even did it with factory round nose. Nose dive jam.
    My solution was to use Wilson Combat magazines that have the small feed ramp built into the front. It works perfectly with those.

My Springfield Range Officer works with anything without problems unless the OAL is too short.The Lee 95 grain RF and the Lee 105 SWC are too short and fail more often than not. Lee 120 TC and other similar designs work really well as well as most other RF designs that have longer noses.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite is the NOE 358-124-TC-GC
    I use a softish alloy 50/50 COWW & soft lead , the gas check helps with boolit seating and bore leading in loads over 1000 fps is non-existent .
    Sized .357 used in 9mm Luger and 38 Super loads
    Sized .358 used in 38 Special , 38 special +P and 357 Magnum loads .

I find the gas check helpful in loads that exceed 1100 fps . The boolit drops from the NOE mould right at .358" so sizing to .357" is easy .

For a plain base 9mm Luger boolit I like the Lee 356-120-TC

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have the Lee 356-120 TC and it shot fine in everything but my AR 9mm pistol and carbine did not like it. I think that is due to the Colt style stick magazines. All of my 9mm pistols (no 1911s) shot the TC fine.

I took to loading all my 9mm with RN so they would all work fine in the carbines. I loaded some in 38 SP and they were fine, but I still load the 356-125 RN in 38 SP, it casts at .358 and I ASBBPC and size to .358, which all of my 9mm weapons feed and shoot .358 just fine.

I did experiment with plain base gas checks but found with PC, they weren't even necessary in .357 Mag or SIG, or even 1600 FPS in the carbines with the .356-102 RB or the TL356-95 RF (both cast at .358) when PCd. The AR 9mm didn't like the RF design either, but the Marlin Camp 9 feeds everything, due to the S&W style center feed design. Not relevant to the 1911 question, just my experience.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus
    I had that issue with an RIA 9MM 1911 pistol. It would not feed the top round no matter the nose design or who made it. It even did it with factory round nose. Nose dive jam.
    My solution was to use Wilson Combat magazines that have the small feed ramp built into the front. It works perfectly with those.

My Springfield Range Officer works with anything without problems unless the OAL is too short.The Lee 95 grain RF and the Lee 105 SWC are too short and fail more often than not. Lee 120 TC and other similar designs work really well as well as most other RF designs that have longer noses.
    Tazman, thanks for the heads up on the Wilson Combat magazines. I have the same problem with rounds nose diving in a SA Range Officer so ordered a couple of the magazines to try out. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

Mihec sells a 125gr hp mold (130gr solind nosed fn), the 359-125.
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...5-hp-pb-4-cav/

The 4-cavity mold I received from Mihec casts a .359" bullet using 8/9bhn range scrap.

They get pc'd and sized to .358" & are used in the 9mm's, 38spl's & 357mag's. My springfield RO gets a steady diet of these bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

That springfield RO doing 10-shot groups @ 50-ft with those Mihec 359-125's.
    [IMG][/IMG]