Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO for an H&G #68??

WHO for an H&G #68??

I'd like to get an H&G #68 design mould within the next few months. I've basically given up on finding a real H&G.

UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO PART WITH ONE?????

Who should I have build a mould? Looking for a 4 cavity, would like brass or steel if possible. NOT a big fan of aluminum. Old Dog...tough to teach new tricks, etc.

So WHO??

FN in MT

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    I'd like to get an H&G #68 design mould within the next few months. I've basically given up on finding a real H&G.

UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO PART WITH ONE?????

Who should I have build a mould? Looking for a 4 cavity, would like brass or steel if possible. NOT a big fan of aluminum. Old Dog...tough to teach new tricks, etc.

So WHO??

FN in MT
    Call Dave Farmer, Colorado Shooters Supplies. He should be able to help you, if not point you in the right direction. Custom molds are pricy no matter where you go, though.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Ballisti-Cast was the company that took over the H&G line of molds. Their #668 is supposed to be the real deal as far as a new "H&G 68".

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%...20Page%206.htm

Your choice of 2, 4 or 6 cavity blocks

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Price%20List.htm

Not cheap, but I doubt you'll find a custom mold maker who can do it right and do it for less.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    Try Old West Bullet Molds.

I was part of a GB for a 44 full wadcutter and was very impressed with the quality of the mold which was brass. A nice touch was that it came with three allen wrench's to mount and adjust the mold with. I've never had another maker do that!

Bernie's the guy and his number is 970-858-1449

Banned

shhhhhh!

It's a secret!

I'm going to be doing a HG68 clone with OWBM in a GB soon...

Boolit Master
    Post details soon?

Boolit Buddy

WHO for an H&G 68

[QUOTE=Blammer

It's a secret!

I'm going to be doing a HG68 clone with OWBM in a GB soon... [/QUOTE]

You sure do know how to tempt a guy! I have an old H&G 68 and thought I would never find a mold that I would like casting with more, but then I got in on the 44 full wadcutter group buy and I like casting with it even more. I have been casting since the mid 60's and that is the best casting mold that I have ever used.

I still need to call Bernie and have him make a top punch for my old Lyman #450.

Big Dale

Boolit Mold
    if i'm not mistaken, i HAVE an HG #68

the #68 is the 148 grn wadcutter mold right?

.452" plain based, semi wad cutter 200 gr.

Banned

Ok the real question is, what size do we want it to cast at?

.453? .454? .452?

Boolit Master
    The H&G 68 was specifically designed for the 45 auto so a mold that drops at 453 will be perfect for many who size to .452.

However I believe a small group would also like to size to .451. I don't believe sizeing down002 will be a problem in most sizer's so a mold that drops .453 is good for everyone.

Tolerance should be .453 plus zero mins .001.

While we are discussing this ( and I don't want to start a design by commitee thing) and having watched the Lee "debacle" with the H&G 68 clone of last year who's drawing are we going to go by? Lee never did hit the nose diminsion and of course the 68 had a round lube groove and a bevel base ( both of these features are fine with me) So I am curious as to what version of the H&G 68 we are planning to cut.

Banned

I have a sample of an original "vintage" HG 68 that I used as a template.

I will draw that, and send samples for them to use in their measurements.

I'll ask for a sample mould, before the rest are cut, (per usual) to confirm the layout.
    Last edited by Blammer; 03-01-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Banned

And a stick figure, dims to follow on the GB thread

Sold one on ebay about a year or so ago I think it went for $209.

Boolit Master
    Blammer:

That is spot on!

Don't change a thing!

Keep us in the loop and I'll let the BIL know he may want to get in on this!

Banned

blamer what is owbm I want one but it has to be an exact copy. No bevels or other crap. Id agree with the best size being 453. Ive got and have had a pile of 1911s over the years and just about to the gun they prefer 452 bullets. Id take two and possibly 3 of them if it was a proper copy.

Banned

Fn in Mt if you want to get buy till then rcbs makes a simualar design its not an exact h&g but it is a good shooting bullet. Only problem its a 2 cavity and kind of slow to run.

Banned
    dj id say .453" would be good. i also have a real 68 mold and would like a copy of the orignial to replace it with. how may cavities are we talking with OWBM? got a pic of there molds? whats the pros going with a brass mold. hows old west to deal with? any idea of turn a round, i mean are we out a year like the other companies? sorry for the questions just courious. thanks man o and what are you thinking for a total cost, is there any hidden fees like a free bag of dog food to a local shelter we need to know about? sorry last GB i was in on was wierd. dont take anything the wrong way im just courious and wanted to throw a couple questions out at ya. -chris

Banned

OK the short version of my plans.
    More details to be spelled out in the GB thread.

I will call OWBM (Old West Bullet Mould) and talk with the mould maker directly and emphasize that the mould we want must be EXACT.

I will send samples of the bullets and drawings and the kitchen sink if he needs it.

He will cut a 2C mould and send to me for testing before the total order goes in. I will post specs, pics and dims of the cast boolit. AT that time, if you have paid for a mould and you DO not like or want the mould, let me know before I order and I will send your money back. Full REFUND no questions asked. If it is too far out of spec, I'll ask for another, no problem.

He can do 2,3 or 4 cav in a mould. He does not do more cavities due to his equipment limitations.

Price will depend on how many cavities you order.

If we get 12 or more orders for this mould, the cherry fee will be waived.

AFTER the GB is over, anyone who wants a mould with this design, only need to call OWBM and order it. You will get the same pricing as what we are getting in the GB, but AFTER the GB is completed.

Time frame is in the neighborhood of 3-4 months after the order is placed.

they are brass moulds.

Here are a few pics of previous moulds he has done that i have in my hands.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post

So WHO??

FN in MT
    I agree with the earlier Ballisti-Cast post. Got mine in less than 2 weeks and its by far the best mold I have. A shooting buddy has a genuine H&G 68 mold and i can't tell the difference between my Ballisti-cast 668's and his.