Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Pro buys Sportsman's Warehouse

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mtgrs737 View Post
    I don't know if any of you guys have been in a Shields store or not. They have a lot of stuff in the three or four I have been to, but that was a couple of years ago now. The closest to me is in Kansas City but there are a few in Iowa and other northern states as they are a four season outdoor sports company. The stores I have been in had a lot of guns at reasonable prices and a decent amount of reloading gear and supplies, but that was a couple of years ago. I would bet if someone would impress upon the store manager what is going on with the other big box sports stores they might look into becoming a decent reloading supply store. Just a thought.
    Shields or Scheel's?

There's a Scheels in the DFW area now. Very impressive store.
    NRA Benefactor.

Where at, Burnt Fingers?
    Hopefully closer to the FWside of DFW?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Where at, Burnt Fingers?
    Hopefully closer to the FWside of DFW?

The Billion dollar mile up in The Colony.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    The Billion dollar mile up in The Colony.
    Thanks, I will not journey there. Frisco/Mckinney/Plano- I think there is a billion people there

Quote Originally Posted by navyvet View Post
    I thought I was the only one that disliked Bass Pro. Guess I'm in good company here.
    Not by far..... I made the mistake of buying a Cabelas SCUT (sub compact tractor) from the about 3 months before they sold out to BP. I had a 24 month bumper to bumper warranty and 60month engine tranny warranty. Cabelas had a dedicated mechanic to their tractors and they were only about 12 miles from me. They sold off the repair facility to their contract boat repair company, no one works on a tractor any more and they refused to honor the warranty. I did get a replacement gas tank (plastic and it had split at top) just before they sold off the repair facility. They took a pretty good company and destroyed it in my opinion. I don't buy anything from them..... Clothes are way more junk than Cabelas brand....

Banned
    Never liked BP, Cabellas lost me when they started price gauging. When SW got primers in they stayed with the original price. -- sorry to see them go

A least we have a couple of farm and garden stores with decent reloading sections and BiMart

Boolit Master

Facts are facts. Big Corporate owned ‘Sporting Goods’ chains are profit driven and media sensitive. Their public relations managers can’t sleep worrying about the media tracing a murderous firearm back to their stores. The media is anti-firearm and corporations don’t want that kind of publicity.
    Add to that we reloaders are not a big consumer group like fishermen. Why risk exposure for a small segment of they buying public when you can make good money selling Yeti and Nike.
    Bass Pro is way over-priced on components. I haven’t been in a Cabelas in 10 years. My guess in neither will sell firearms related merchandise five years from now.
    I’m not a conspiracy theorist but less stores selling guns, ammo & components limits gun ownership too.

Boolit Buddy
    the sportmans warehouse in my area has turned sad in the reloading department. no primers, powder, or bullets to be found for months. ammo is about the same. no ammo in the major three calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 5.56. if you want shoes, hats and t-shirts it is the store for you. just like bass pro and cabela's. when the buy out is done the prices will jump 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Look at the bright side fellows. If we need a $25.00 Stren baseball cap or a $35 NASCAR tee shirt there will be a place closer by to grab one.
    Yeah, and the shirt will be marked XL but a 12 yr old couldn't get it on. I have quit going to BP and when they bought Cabelas, their clothing went to pot too. The reloading supplies were retail ++ and now I'm afraid that Johnny Morris will poison another brand, IMO.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    the sportmans warehouse in my area has turned sad in the reloading department. no primers, powder, or bullets to be found for months. ammo is about the same. no ammo in the major three calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 5.56. if you want shoes, hats and t-shirts it is the store for you. just like bass pro and cabela's. when the buy out is done the prices will jump 30%.
    It's not just your local store that's out of primers, powder, bullets, and ammo. It's everywhere.

Maybe you slept through 2020?
    NRA Benefactor.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    They just want to cutout the competition, crank up the prices, bring in more crap from Asia. I like many others quit BP and then Cabelas. Guess sportsman is the next to cross off my list now. Everyone might start thinking about aquiring primers wherever and whenever they can and start working on making your own black. I'd at least try hard to pick up percussion caps and a couple of BP revolvers and the supplies to load and shoot. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Being the oddball I did like Cabelas - they had decent prices & stock on hand , veteran discount & points on their visa credit card, supported the NRA - renew & get $25 in points, store was well lit ( I like to be able to read labels & price tags ) . The sign says Bass Pro out front now & I seldom darken their doorstep - worst excuse for a sporting goods store IMHO !!!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
    Being the oddball I did like Cabelas - they had decent prices & stock on hand , veteran discount & points on their visa credit card, supported the NRA - renew & get $25 in points, store was well lit ( I like to be able to read labels & price tags ) . The sign says Bass Pro out front now & I seldom darken their doorstep - worst excuse for a sporting goods store IMHO !!!
    The problem with "Sporting Goods Stores" is that they inevitable DEVOLVE to a what's currently cool clothes store.

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I never liked BP. Their prices were really high, and their service was really low. I usually shopped for my reloading supplies at Sportsman's because they had better selection, better prices, and nicer people. Once I got a $40 gift card from Bass Pro as a present. I don't usually shop there, but what the heck, it's a gift card. I got some supplied for reloading 357 mag. Not only did they charge me full price, but the guy behind the counter swiped the card through the register and charger me $40 extra on top of that. I'd paid with my ATM and wasn't paying attention. By the time I saw the charge on my bank statement I'd long ago tossed out the receipt with the shopping bag. Now I find out that the worst outdoor store in the universe has bought out one of the best, so they can drag it down the toilet. Looks like I'll be buying all my reloading supplies online from now on.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m old. I used to love BP when they were mail order. Once they went brick and mortar, and increased prices, not so much. Same for Cabelas. I used to buy fishing stuff from BP, reloading from Cabelas. I have always enjoyed SW, and tried to spend a few bucks at one whenever Iwas going by.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned

About the only reason I ever went into a Cabelas was to look at the used gun rack. The Wichita one seems to have stopped selling used ones altogether and the Kansas City one has scaled way back as of last time I was in there. Not much else I want I can't find elsewhere cheaper.

I do enjoy the aquariums, I could probably waste an hour in there just watching the fish.

Boolit Buddy
    no i did not sleep. the sportman's warehouse is sad. but we have a local ammo maker that has everything except primers. they ran out of store primers in november. now they use the primers to make ammo for the store only. but lots of pistols, rifles, 9mm, 5.56, powder, bullets, and reloading items. they have not up their prices on anything. got 8 pounds of auto pistol last week for $136.00.

Boolit Buddy
    Bah humbug. Maybe Uncle Larry Potterfield needs to open a few retail stores.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada