Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Who wants to be the guinea pigs for my new brass base up plates?
    Even tough they look very similar, there are two small major changes that make a difference.
    I posted the large version. Be sure to use the new "Brass_Base_Up_Drop_Hole_Adapter" as well. Working on small one now.
    I'll give them a test. I have the set up pretty well dialed in with a case ending up base down maybe 1 in 250 but that is at a hair under 4rpm. Appreciate it all, we give you our thanks.

The more common issue now is with the lee app. I noticed that with handle fully down there isn't anything to keep the fingers in the fully open position to receive the brass. I have clamped a small piece of foam to keep some tension and that seems to have done it. I can take some pictures if I haven't explained it well.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Wish I could, but I've got to buy one more motor, print up another big base, first. Then I plan on it! I'm especially stoked now that I can see without a ladder.

Today's project actually even worked the first print! I was just stressed out not being able to see up there.......Cost was $6 per mirror, $3 for 3' of 1/4" threaded rod which I cut 8" off to use.....plenty left for another one.....and other projects.

Video first, then a few pictures.....then I'll shut up for a while, while I print anuther marathon base.....so I can start printing all your APP goodies & playing with the APP.
    That is a pretty awesome setup man. Wish I had that.

Quote Originally Posted by Assnolax View Post
    I'll give them a test. I have the set up pretty well dialed in with a case ending up base down maybe 1 in 250 but that is at a hair under 4rpm. Appreciate it all, we give you our thanks.

The more common issue now is with the lee app. I noticed that with handle fully down there isn't anything to keep the fingers in the fully open position to receive the brass. I have clamped a small piece of foam to keep some tension and that seems to have done it. I can take some pictures if I haven't explained it well.
    I believe I know what you are saying, and I am doing some work to make the tolerances a bit tighter which should prevent the slide from moving too easily on the rail.

TylerR, what do you mean? You have that and more.....and younger and healthier to boot. If it wasn't for the 3 musketeers, you, RedlegEd, and ARBossman, and Dartanian, I wouldn't even have a 3d printer let alone have all this fun. Big thankyou to you guys. The hardest thing is to find ways to give back.

I realize that not every one has shelves above to mount such a thing.....if adding one isn't in the desires or plans, then I wonder if we can figure out a mount on the ceiling....even a hanging one?

BTW, what do you think of this? https://leeprecision.com/automatic-c...mer-press.html

TylerR, what do you mean? You have that and more.....and younger and healthier to boot. If it wasn't for the 3 musketeers, you, RedlegEd, and ARBossman, and Dartanian, I wouldn't even have a 3d printer let alone have all this fun. Big thankyou to you guys. The hardest thing is to find ways to give back.

I realize that not every one has shelves above to mount such a thing.....if adding one isn't in the desires or plans, then I wonder if we can figure out a mount on the ceiling....even a hanging one?

BTW, what do you think of this? https://leeprecision.com/automatic-c...mer-press.html
    Thanks GWS. That priming tool looks pretty cool. Not sure it is something I would use. But just looking at the design it appears that it would be a direct interface to the APP parts already made.

OK just posted what will be the final version of the large base up plate and funnel. There a are quite a few changes to make it more reliable. I am posting a video that shows the angle I am running the feeder at and how fast I can successfully go with it.

Last edited by TylerR; 01-07-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy

What about a mount that attaches to rim of feeder? could be used for factory case feeders as well

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anuccite View Post
    What about a mount that attaches to rim of feeder? could be used for factory case feeders as well
    Hi all,
    I just sent that same note to GWS. Here's an example of a mirror sold by Inline Fabrication (BTW, Dan makes some great stuff!) I'm planning on making something similar, except using acrylic mirror sheets as they are much lighter than glass, and you can cut/drill them easily.
    Ed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collator Mirror.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	274902

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuccite View Post
    We have one for the Dillon. Please look at the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    We have one for the Dillon. Please look at the manual.
    I think he is talking about GWS's new mirror mount.

So I am going to take another shot at an angled funnel for the base up brass feeding. Making no promises though

Boolit Buddy
    I think he is talking about GWS's new mirror mount.
    My bad!

Boolit Mold
    Tyler, I printed the new base up parts to try out. Big improvement on flipping the brass and having it end up in the collator plate ready to drop next round, I don't think I noticed any dropping back into the loose brass in the case feeder while I was watching. I was also able to crank up the rpm. I was getting a few falling base down but backed the slide out a touch and that seemed to have fixed it. Is that hole in the back for an adjustment set screw?

Who wants to be the guinea pigs for my new brass base up plates?
    Even tough they look very similar, there are two small major changes that make a difference.
    I posted the large version. Be sure to use the new "Brass_Base_Up_Drop_Hole_Adapter" as well. Working on small one now.

I’ll give it a shot this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Assnolax View Post
    Tyler, I printed the new base up parts to try out. Big improvement on flipping the brass and having it end up in the collator plate ready to drop next round, I don't think I noticed any dropping back into the loose brass in the case feeder while I was watching. I was also able to crank up the rpm. I was getting a few falling base down but backed the slide out a touch and that seemed to have fixed it. Is that hole in the back for an adjustment set screw?
    Yes all the plates have them. I would say if everything is working well but you still get occasional base down you should up the feeder angle more. I tried to show how steep mine is running at in the beginning of the video.

So I am going to take another shot at an angled funnel for the base up brass feeding. Making no promises though
    I have managed to prove once again that an angled funnel just does not work. I have created a shorter version of the original however and getting good results with that.

Boolit Bub
    Bingo. I just created a new base to match this motor here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Greartisan-Se...p?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Tyler, what base for this motor? And thanks to you and the other guys for making this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvan View Post
    Tyler, what base for this motor? And thanks to you and the other guys for making this!
    Main_Body_M634JS

Boolit Bub
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvan View Post
    Thanks
    Anytime. Be sure to check out the manual as it has all the info you need including motor selection.