Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Help with older 450 Lyman lube sizer

Boolit Buddy

Need Help With An Old 450 Lube Sizer

I'm in the process of rebuilding this older 450. I ordered a pressure screw, two "O" rings, and a plastic piece to avoid having the piston from bottoming out from Lyman. I cleaned and repainted everything and finally got my parts tonight.
    The new pressure screw is threaded from the top to about a half inch from the bottom. When I screw the thing in it stops where the threads stop.??? The pressure screw that I am replacing is threaded clear to the base. I rebuilt an old 45 that was threaded clear to the bottom. Did I order the wrong part? I thought they were all the same.
    Should I thread it the rest of the way? Send it back, or what?
    I've searched previous threads an found no info.
    Hoping some of you might be able shed some light on the subject.
    Thanks,
    TacoFrankNe
    Last edited by tacofrank; 01-07-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: want to change subject to bold print

Boolit Grand Master
    A cheap fix for this is, instead of paying more postage, to make a spacer to go over the threaded rod. IIRC a piece of ½" pvc pipe about ½" long is all it takes.

If nothing else, a local plumber would probably let you at his scrap pile.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I really appreciate your reply. The pressure screw they sent me will not go all the way into the bottom of the body. I can thread it in until it comes to the unthreaded part at the end of the pressure screw. Is the pressure screw supposed to be screw in through the bottom or just slip in? I have to screw mine in from the bottom. The threads are a very loose and sloppy fit. Its been a long time since I rebuilt my 45. As I remember the pressure screw just slid in. I thought about driving it in but figure the pscrew wouldn't be able to turn. I at a loss????
    Last edited by tacofrank; 01-08-2021 at 09:26 AM.

I would try to call Lyman customer service and try to get the right part. Is your old pressure screw still good?

Boolit Buddy
    The old pressure screw was ruined when I got it. I bought the sizer at a garage sale for $5. Parts were in a box. The pressure screw had been cut off about an inch from the bottom. I have both pieces. Threads go all the way to the bottom. ??
    I'll call Lyman this morning.
    Thanks for your reply.
    TF

Boolit Buddy
    The last 1/2 inch is un-threaded and won't go in.?? Original was threaded to the end.
    Thanks!