Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable reloading table

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Is this based on a Work Mate or similar?

Oops, guess I should have clicked on the plans and read it first. Thanks.
    Yes, I think the original design may even have been published by Black and Decker. The key is to not go with the very lightest of the Work Mate designs... some of them almost seem to be made out of beer cans while others are quite stout. The one I got is toward the lighter end of the spectrum and when I inherited a MEC 600 Jr that was already bolted to a 2X2' piece of plywood, I just attached that with a couple of C-clamps "temporarily" until I got around to making the other top module for a metallic cartridge reloading setup. That was at least 4-5 years ago and the MEC seems to have taken over that W-M by default. I guess I'll have to find another one to do metallics. It really was meant to have interchangeable (modular) tops when I started though.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got an old 12 ga Glacier Bair shotgun press that is used very little and taking up space right slam in the middle of the front edge of my loading bench. I could put it on a piece of plywood like the MEC, then make up some sort of rack that could hold whichever shotshell press (or the metallic press module) which was not in use on the WM, and really free up some space on my main loading bench. HMMMM...

This thread may have really inspired me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Yes, I think the original design may even have been published by Black and Decker. The key is to not go with the very lightest of the Work Mate designs... some of them almost seem to be made out of beer cans while others are quite stout. The one I got is toward the lighter end of the spectrum and when I inherited a MEC 600 Jr that was already bolted to a 2X2' piece of plywood, I just attached that with a couple of C-clamps "temporarily" until I got around to making the other top module for a metallic cartridge reloading setup. That was at least 4-5 years ago and the MEC seems to have taken over that W-M by default. I guess I'll have to find another one to do metallics. It really was meant to have interchangeable (modular) tops when I started though.

Froggie
    I have planned for a while to do something like this with a cheap Harbor Freight grinder stand. Didn't realize those work mates cost as much as they do, I got the grinder stand for $5 at Good Will. Thinking I'm gonna use one of the Lee bench plates on it so I can dismantle the press from it for easier moving.

Boolit Master

Got a friend who is on the road alot and got a rolling tool chest cheap and just rolls it into his hotel or air bnb place and goes to town.

Something like this but he only has 350 in it.
    https://www.costco.com/trinity-66%22...100491860.html

Boolit Grand Master

One thing that will make or break the portable bench or any bench is the top and side supports. A heavy solid top securely bolted in place will go a long way in relieving flexing as will any side supports. They wont fix everything but will help a lot. 2 x 8 down each side with 2 x cut to fit in between will stop a lot of twist and give. A good foot print also helps.

Vendor Sponsor

Look if you want to do this right,,, Get an Original Work Mate. Not a new flimsy one or a cheap imitation. I've had mine since 1976 and it is still solid. My top piece which was nothing more than a 2x3' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 4" wide strip screwed to the bottom to clamp in the Workmate Vice, is now being used as my Bros loading bench.

I also have one of the new cheapie ones and that one is my gun cleaning bench. It is not suitable for mounting a reloading press. It barely holds my plastic Gun Vice and a Rifle.

I also recently got a Harbor Freight version of the Jaw Horse which is a 3 legged Portable Work Support you clamp with your foot. I have a 2X4' piece of 3/4" Plywood and a chunk of 4x4 that gets chucked in the vice and it becomes a very sturdy Portable Shooting Bench, and it is solid as a Rock!

Sky is the limit on this type of stuff and the more ideas that are put out there, the better off we all are.

I am currently working on my simple golf bag cart conversion to Sporting Clays Caddie. I'll put somethign up when done..
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Got a friend who is on the road alot and got a rolling tool chest cheap and just rolls it into his hotel or air bnb place and goes to town.

Something like this but he only has 350 in it.
    https://www.costco.com/trinity-66%22...100491860.html
    Then, I was VERY fortunate. A co-worker sold me his KNAACK Job Box on steel wheels for $100.00 and I have never thought to turn it into a Mobile Reloading cart - till now!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2939_200772939
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Recall you can always mount any press to a 2x8 or 10 and set it on a table. You can make it as long as the table and use a small clamp on the other end to keep it in place or keep it under 3' and just set 40# or so of weight on the far end. This method works great and the press and mount can be put away when done.

Boolit Master

I have always wondered about something like a role around tool box.

I told my brother when I retire I want to turn one of those box trailers into a mobile man cave.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Man
    My shop is 800 square feet - block construction and not much insulation. I use a 225 kbtu forced-air heater. BUT I don't use kero anymore - the new ultra low sulfur diesel works very well and is significantly cheaper.
    OCCAM'S RAZOR is the problem-solving principle - the simplest explanation is usually the right one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Look if you want to do this right,,, Get an Original Work Mate.
    Get that powder scale lifted up 6"-10" from the bench top, your eyes will thank you and it will be MUCH easier/faster to weigh your charges.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Look if you want to do this right,,, Get an Original Work Mate. Not a new flimsy one or a cheap imitation. I've had mine since 1976 and it is still solid. My top piece which was nothing more than a 2x3' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 4" wide strip screwed to the bottom to clamp in the Workmate Vice, is now being used as my Bros loading bench.

I also have one of the new cheapie ones and that one is my gun cleaning bench. It is not suitable for mounting a reloading press. It barely holds my plastic Gun Vice and a Rifle.

I also recently got a Harbor Freight version of the Jaw Horse which is a 3 legged Portable Work Support you clamp with your foot. I have a 2X4' piece of 3/4" Plywood and a chunk of 4x4 that gets chucked in the vice and it becomes a very sturdy Portable Shooting Bench, and it is solid as a Rock!

Sky is the limit on this type of stuff and the more ideas that are put out there, the better off we all are.

I am currently working on my simple golf bag cart conversion to Sporting Clays Caddie. I'll put somethign up when done..
    Randy,

The real B&D Workmates have been sold in at least 3 or 4 different grades. The lightest one, useful as not much more than a sawhorse for 2X4s is labeled 125, then there is a 250, IIRC and so on up to a 450 or more. The heavy duty ones are rated at 500 pounds or more, but just getting an original Workmate doesn't guarantee that you are getting a heavy duty one. I find that using a piece of heavy plywood as a top, well secured to the existing "wood" that came on mine, made it a lot stronger and more rigid, but the legs on the mid-weight example I inherited are not as heavy gauge steel as I would like. If this were going to be used as my sole (or even more often used) bench, I'd spring for the 450 model and never look back.

Your Friend the Frog

Vendor Sponsor

I got mine right after they first came out, when I got it it was my work bench, and then I made it "dedicated loading bench" when I got my Rock Chucker. Prior to that I was loading my .243's and .44's on it using Lee Loaders. I had my Powder Scale, Trickler, and loading blocks all set up, but when I got the S&W M29 in 1978 I realized I needed faster ammo production. Hence the Rock Chucker.

I still have mine but it is currently folded up and sitting on the landing between the floors in my shop. I think it is the heavy duty one? due to my purchase date.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Got a friend who is on the road alot and got a rolling tool chest cheap and just rolls it into his hotel or air bnb place and goes to town...
    I take it he drives his own truck, which has an RV ramp?

Man, I was thinking you'd need more weight for a bench like this. Or maybe it's just me and my long shafted oversized expander that sticks, lifting the side of my whole 5' bench, even though the other side is bolted to the wall.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-05-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I’m way off the mark with all this.
    Attachment 274717
    Just watching telle doing a few..
    No rush.
    That’s it I tried but the photo always ends up upside down
    Looks like I will have to get more organised with loading.

Boolit Master

The picture HAS to be upside down (on this U.S.A. server) because you took on your side of the globe.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I’m way off the mark with all this.
    Attachment 274717
    Just watching telle doing a few..
    No rush.
    That’s it I tried but the photo always ends up upside down
    Looks like I will have to get more organised with loading.

I was going to ask if you lived in the Australia.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

My wife, Weimaraner and I were moved into a small fema trailer after Irene wrecked our house. While our house was being repaired I built a single stage stand out of a homemade stand alone grinder stand that I found in a junk store. I slid a bunch of barbell weights onto the pipe and mounted my press on top. Was awkward but I was only building cas [pistol] ammo. Got me by until we got back home again. I was still working full time then and my wife was dealing with her stroke. Was a very long year.

Boolit Master

If you have the room a roll-around tool chest makes a great reloading bench. I used one for a bench while living in an RV for a few months. I put it on 2x4 “skids” instead of the wheels for increased stability. The storage was a big bonus in cramped quarters. The only problem with the one I bought was that the glides were very low end and made of soft steel with no ball bearings. A heavier duty model with better glides would have been much better, especially when the drawer is loaded with boxes of bullets.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Well once again we see that “Necessity is the Mother of Invention.” There are enough good ideas that the reader should be able to figure out how to adapt one to about any need. I’ll mention that in an old NRA reprint booklet I saw plans for one tha folded up like a folding chair. I started building one but didn’t like where it was going and never finished it. Under different circumstances though...

Froggie