Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: The Little Press That Could

Banned

The Little Press That Could

Loading .308 ammo and not liking the feel of pulling a case over the decapper/expander button I decided to use the Lyman "M" die to open the case mouth. A little extra time, but then I am working on retiree time and a Minnesota winter.
    It quickly became apparent that the effort required is very low, I was expending more energy swinging that long Big Max handle than I liked. Thinking about it, I thought I have a little Precision Reloader PR-3 that I have been wanting to try out for some time. It uses RCBS snap-in shellholders and standard dies so why not. It turned out to be a joy to use. It is a small press originally designed for handgun and 222/223 size rifle cartridges. It would also make a great seating press but the throat opening is to small to get a .308 case and bullet under the die. Heck, it will just barely clear a .308 case, 30-06 is even too long.

It was a fun morning.
    Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210101_090628.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	274408 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210101_090708.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	274409

Boolit Master
    That is a neat little press

Boolit Grand Master

I too have a C press that I use for some applications when I don't feel like using mu Co-Ax. It is an old Pacific C press that is still in very good shape that sometimes I'll use for depriming or bullet sizing. There's always a place for a small, easy to use press...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

That's a cute little sucker, Ken! Sometimes smaller is better.......
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I often think about getting a small press for light work. One advantage is I wouldn’t have switch out tools so often.

Boolit Buddy
    I have three iron RCBS Jr. presses for that kind of work - the last two I paid $20 for each. Lucky me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to have an RCBS Partner press. I liked it for normal reloading, I don't think I would have liked reforming cases with it, but I wasn't to that stage of handloading yet.

I do like the open front of C frame presses for lighter duty uses. Anymore I tend to save the Rockchucker for the hard jobs.

Robert

It looks like a normal single stage till you see the standard 7/8” die installed, I have an Rcbs Jr that I find myself using quite often. These smaller press’ do have their place.

Banned

I have a little Pacific C press from the 1930s I picked up for 15 bucks at a gun show. It operates on the up stroke, so I figured I could bolt it to a cheap Harbor Freight grinder stand I have and then could just step on one of the cross pieces when I was using it and not need a real heavy bench. I cleaned up up, repainted it and replaced the ram with one I had that takes modern shell holders instead of the replaceable rams.

Now I see that someone is making a spent primer catcher and selling them on Ebay for this one, so I think when I get my reloading room built, I'm going to put a Lee universal decapper die in it and use it as a dedicated depriming press. Might help keep the Rockchucker cleaner.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Ken, thanks for that input. I have a PR3 and have only used it for pistol and M1 carbine.............had no idea it would accommodate 308! I'll try my M die for neck expansion too.

Boolit Master
    I love my Lyman BrassSmith C Press! So useful and has a very low effort, even full length sizing 270Win. It aint small though at 12 lbs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    It looks like a normal single stage till you see the standard 7/8” die installed, I have an Rcbs Jr that I find myself using quite often. These smaller press’ do have their place.
    This press is 1/3 smaller than an RCBS Jr press, it really is tiny.