RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi-wadcutter's for 45 Auto

Boolit Master
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee 250/255 gr. RNFP. I used Unique and Herco with it, to shoot bowling pins. I loaded it just warm enough to reliably operate a 1911A1 slide, with a stock spring. I had no chronograph then, but I am very certain that velocities exceeded 700 f/s, and resonably certain that they were consistently over 750 f/s. I am also very certain that velocities did NOT exceed 800 f/s.
    The loads I used were 5.1-5.2/Unique/250 gr. Lee LRNFP, @ 1.211", and 5.4-5.5/Herco/Same Projectile & C.O.A.L. This data was obtained from a Speer Bullets reloading manual, using their 260 gr. JHP (intended for use in .45 Colt) in. 45 ACP. I detected no excessive case head expansion, nor violent ejection of empty cases, so I considered the pressures to be moderate. I had no peening of the ejector, nor other signs of excessive slide velocity.
    If you intend to push a bullet of this weight 150 f/s faster, I suggest the use of a heavier recoil spring, and a firing pin stop that is squared, not rounded, at the base. You might also look into the use of Alliant Power pistol, which may behave a bit better at elevated pressures than Unique or Herco.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I currently have a 460 Rowland V2 recoil dampening system, and a square-bottom firing pin stop. My barrel was throated a couple of years back by Don Williams, proprietor of The Action Works. Factory 45 Super shoots great, and I intend to create a duplicate handload for that as well. My intention with this particular loading, is to approximate standard 230 grain ball velocities utilizing substantially a heavier bullet, with the sort of profiles so far listed. This thread has provided me with wealth of information; it will take some time to digest it all.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    Are there any designs that are known to feed well in a 1911? I'm hoping to use some heavy projectiles (260-300+ grains) at low velocities (700-800 or so fps. I really don't want to break 1,000). It's actually a 45 Super conversion, so I should be alright in terms of pressure. I've found Underwood's 255 grain flat-nosed loading to feed reliably, and they zip right along at over 1,000 fps. I'd just like to go heavier and slower.
    I dont know whether they will feed in a 1911yet but I am going to try these in a Hi Point carbine as soon as my friend who owns it and I get together. Its a 255 gr from an Accurate 45-253M mold.Attachment 272758
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    I like the 452423 Lyman style. A little lighter than you are looking for but runs great from many 1911s

Update: those big flat nose boolits feed like a charm through my friends HiPiont 45 carbine. It has a similar
    Configuration to a 1911, in that it feeds from a magazine in the grip. I have a couple of Colts and a Kimber in the safe so that will be my next test. That Boolit has enough radius to feed in a 1911-I think- and ought to hit pretty hard
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!