MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-wadcutter's for 45 Auto

Semi-wadcutter's for 45 Auto

Are there any designs that are known to feed well in a 1911? I'm hoping to use some heavy projectiles (260-300+ grains) at low velocities (700-800 or so fps. I really don't want to break 1,000). It's actually a 45 Super conversion, so I should be alright in terms of pressure. I've found Underwood's 255 grain flat-nosed loading to feed reliably, and they zip right along at over 1,000 fps. I'd just like to go heavier and slower.

Cant speak to swc but the Lee 255gr rnfp fed without issue in my 460 Rowland Springfield Milspec and that has a .32-.33 meplat, plenty of slap.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Lyman 452424 (240), Saeco 058 (215) , Lyman 452423 (230) will all do the trick your decision on how heavy. I just started a thread on the LBT type designs in the 230 gr ball park from Accurate molds. The long ogive and wide meplat of LBT fame is what I am looking at around 230 gr.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Buddy
    If your 1911 doesn't feed something, take it to a gunsmith (preferably someone who knows 1911's). A properly tuned 1911 will feed everything.

Boolit Master
    I really like the Saeco 058. But it is 215 grains. I am getting a copy that will weigh 230 from Lyman #2. The Meplat is .325" is the reason I like it. It feeds well in my Kimbers and Glocks. A Springfield XDs I had did not like it.

Boolit Master
    A word to the wise. With wide meplats be careful as they must be seated deeper than bullets with small or smaller meplats due to magazine design.
    With heavier than normal bullets that could POSSIBLY cause a problem.
    Ask me how I know this about wide meplats and clearance in a 1911 magazine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    If your 1911 doesn't feed something, take it to a gunsmith (preferably someone who knows 1911's). A properly tuned 1911 will feed everything.
    Not necessarily. 1911’s aren’t designed to feed 300 grain SWC ammo. 45 Super generally uses the same bullet weights as 45 ACP. The internals of the 45 Super case taper even more than 45 ACP. Trying to smash a bullet that larger into the case will result in a boattail bullet and a variety of other problems.

These are definitely the sorts of bullet profiles I am looking for, but I would like to get a little heavier, if possible. I've seen a number of heavy SWC's marketed for the 45 Colt, have any of you tried something along those lines? Here's an example I have been eyeing, though the meplat doesn't look very impressive from this side of the internet.

Banned
    my old 45 ACP 1911 has eaten everything I've fed it, (haven't tried 452-300 yet)

It loves the 452-200-swc and the 452460

Boolit Master
    I too have used the Lee 250 RFN in a 1911. It will definitely thump whatever it hits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    These are definitely the sorts of bullet profiles I am looking for, but I would like to get a little heavier, if possible. I've seen a number of heavy SWC's marketed for the 45 Colt, have any of you tried something along those lines? Here's an example I have been eyeing, though the meplat doesn't look very impressive from this side of the internet.
    You will only learn by doing. Order some and try them. Let us know how they work.

Boolit Master
    Here is a Saeco 300 grain 45 cal. SWC bullet sized to .452 seated into a 45 auto case to JUSY BARELY fit a 1911 magazine.
    Notice anything funny about it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EjB4gaQ.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	272694

Boolit Master
    That’s not a SWC and there’s no way that bullet will work in 45 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Here is a Saeco 300 grain 45 cal. SWC bullet sized to .452 seated into a 45 auto case to JUSY BARELY fit a 1911 magazine.
    Notice anything funny about it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EjB4gaQ.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	272694
    That's quite a bulge, wow. I'm guessing it didn't chamber.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 12-06-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    That’s not a SWC and there’s no way that bullet will work in 45 Super.
    I must profess a bit of ignorance here; at what point does it go from simply being truncated cone, to a SWC?

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with various 250g SWC's in the 1911. You may have to play with the seating depth a little, you may have to "throat and ramp" the chamber (slightly enlarge the opening and break the angle on the ramp) - I do this on all 1911's anyway.
    As said, just make sure the length lets you load a whole mag - don't ask how I know only putting 1 or 2 rounds in mag isn't enough - haha
    The sharp angles on the bullet really grab the bowling pins !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I’m in the process of looking for bullet for 45AR for use in m25-2 S&W. Everything I’ve tried so far was between 200 and 242gr. The Lyman 242gr WC is deadly accurate in 45 Colt but not impressive in 45AR. I’m not after metaplates or 1000fps. Reasonable velocity and most of all accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I must profess a bit of ignorance here; at what point does it go from simply being truncated cone, to a SWC?
    One of the things one must do is study. As much info there is out there on bullet types, shapes and weights and Meplats it is easy to study. To really give support to ones ideas is to do as much study as one can do. That, I have found, is a key to knowing.

One thing to keep in mind if gunning for heavier weight, oal/meplat being equal TC and SWC will have more mass past the crimp groove/cannelure than a RNFP.

These seem to be recommended quite often.

https://hunters-supply.com/452-cal-275-p-186.html
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    HumptyDumpty - The absence/presence of the SWC's bore-riding diameter shoulder is what differentiates the two. On the TC, the slope is tangent to both the meplat and the bearing surface. On the SWC, the slope runs from the meplat to the shoulder. I have run all manner of heavy "hog stompers" through my parts-gun match 1911 without ill effect and with some surprising accuracy and thump along the way. The 255s need close attention to seating and charging, and you may want to run a Shok-Buf and deal with the fail-to-lock-back issue, to protect your frame. The Lee 230 TC or RNFP may be the best choice to balance accuracy, feeding and thump; YMMV. I had a brain fart on the range recently while doing water-jug expansion tests and put a Lyman 255 SWC ACP+P load through all 13 gallons that my test fixture accommodates. That boolit is still in flight somewhere in the next two or three counties. It would probably do the same on Hogzilla or Whitetailus Rex. In reference to hunting/defense loads, I have found that some of the .45LC J-words will "work" at ACP to Super velocities but again YMMV.

DRM50 - My 625-8 JM likes just about any .45 LC boolit I stuff into it. It especially likes the Lyman 255 RF and SWCs as well as the MP HBWC and RimRock 255-SWC and their 200-WC. I recently got several different Lee .45 molds and will post about them soon - the 155 SWC, the 160, 200 and 230 RNFPs, and the 230 TC are all yelling at me to load them in ACP and AR brass but I have some other loads to make first. In my continual search for light recoiling match loads, I did load some 155s too light to run my 1911 nor the XD45, but they shot just fine in moon clips in the 625. In fact that's why I bought the JM; I had loaded multi-hundreds of Nosler 185 match JHPs that would not run my match 1911, even with the lightest spring I had and running wetter than a toddler's snoot, but the 625 loved them and that became a favorite load for that gun. The heavy lugged barrel makes it a joy to shoot with the mock 45LC loads, in fact it handles them so well that I traded off a 625-6 LC Mountain Gun that was uncomfortable to shoot even Skeeter loads through, and the JM and a couple short Blackhawks handle my LC/LC equivalent shooting now.
    Ed <><
    Last edited by Old School Big Bore; 12-06-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: left signature off