Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mixing different lots of same powder

Boolit Buddy
    Have been mixing them for 30 years

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Never considered there to be any chance of a "catastrophic failure" simply mixing different lots of the same powder together. Done too much of such chronographing for 48 year and pressure testing for 14 years of such without any hint of any anomaly to worry about such.
    I believe this is the defining answer. Powder companies' reps will not "go out on a limb" if there is any remote chance of any problem with any product they manufacture. I'll go with real life reports from an unbiased tester...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I am another that has been mixing for years , when my last measure gets down to 1/3 I dump it back in the next can and mix it up , and refill the measure .

Boolit Grand Master

I often empty the dregs from one can into a newer can and mix them but I've never blended 30 year old powder with new powder. I might back off from that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    as the title says: just bought the last bottle of IMR 4198 at a local store. i have i and a half CANS of the same . probably about 30 years old. my question is . can i mix all of it together without any ill effects? it will be used in low doses for cast bullets. and then it will all be the same mix. many years ago i mixed ball-c and ball-c2 together. probably wasn't smart, but i started with a lower dose and worked up. everything was ok.
    I've mixed remnants of one canister with the next one I've opened. The only time I married 2 containers up, was when 2 contaners of the same lot got opened.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    You have two powders that are the same except for their lot numbers, I say if they are close in age, no sweat. But in this example one powder lot predates the other by 30 years.

Because of the age spread I would not mix substantial amounts.

When I get close to the end (not enough of the older powder to substantially fill the measure and trickled) I use the previous Can for my trickler and the newer powder one for the measure.

As the amount in the trickler gets low(older powder) I then dump the two together and mix well.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I've mixed powder of the same type quite a few times. Never had any issues.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Just curious. I'm not sure if you are loading for extreme accuracy or just plinking loads. If your use is for plinking loads and normal target practice, what would you gain by opening the new container and mixing a big batch? I think I would keep the new container unopened (fresh) and maybe mix the old containers if they have both been opened. If you only have one open, use it to the last dregs as others have mentioned and then mix that with the next container you open. That's what I have been doing for years. Unopened, factory sealed containers are less likely to spoil, get moisture in, etc..

Just my 2 cents..
    Sam

Boolit Master

I normally do dump the dregs of one can into the next.

Exceptions -

The remains are really old.

Powder with the same name, but different manufacturer. E.g. a lot of DuPont IMR 4198 that I recently finished was made in USA. It has a different shape and density to the successor IMR 4198 that is made in Canada. Or the many variations of Accurate No. 9. No. 9 has been made in Belgium, Israel, and the USA. The USA (St. Marks) stuff looks nothing like the stuff made in the Belgian plant. I wouldn't mix those.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

I mix lots all the time, rifle or handgun, doesnt seem to matter.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Just curious. I'm not sure if you are loading for extreme accuracy or just plinking loads. If your use is for plinking loads and normal target practice, what would you gain by opening the new container and mixing a big batch? I think I would keep the new container unopened (fresh) and maybe mix the old containers if they have both been opened. If you only have one open, use it to the last dregs as others have mentioned and then mix that with the next container you open. That's what I have been doing for years. Unopened, factory sealed containers are less likely to spoil, get moisture in, etc..

Just my 2 cents..
    Sam
    I think the intent of this thread is what to do with a small amount left in the bottle and adding it to a new bottle, not home blending larger amounts. I do. Like if I am loading 80-100 rounds of a cartridge that takes 10 grains of a specific powder but I only have approx. 100 grain left in a bottle and just dumping that into a new bottle...
    My Anchor is holding fast!