Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger super blackhawk

Boolit Grand Master

The most important issue is to fit the boolit to the throats (front of cylinder) for best
    accuracy. You will do well with the 429421 but if that is harder to obtain than an
    RCBS mold, the 44-250-K is a very good version of Elmer's design and their molds are
    really well made, probably the most consistently nice molds of the production
    companies. My SBH has very large throats (.432") and was a good shooter with
    jacketed and mediocre with .429 hard cast commercial. With softer Keith design
    boolits sized to .432" from an oversized mold, it is accurate.

Two very useful loads are the original Keith load of 20 (or so) grains of 2400,
    and the ever popular midrange load of 10 gr of Unique. If you have Power
    Pistol but not Unique, 9 gr of PP is a nearly identical load - about 1050 fps with the
    250 Keith designs, which is accurate and not quite so "energetic" as the full
    power loads, but will shoot thru a white tailed deer from end to end.

Hard alloys and GCs are not needed. Start with something like wheel weight alloy-
    about 10-12 BHN as a starting point. Usually, this is all that is needed, but some
    find better accuracy by increasing the hardness, something that I have not found
    consistently.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-21-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how hard it would be to obtain all the suggested American made molds in Italy, but also be aware that M&P Molds makes beautiful molds and he's just north of you in Slovenia (I believe?).

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds

Boolit Buddy
    I recycle and smelt at the bottom of the bullets that polygon ......... those already fired.......

Congratulations. You now have one of the finest revolvers ever made.

I got one in 1965 and have loaded thousands of rounds for it, mostly cast, and they all work!

I have used three .44 caliber molds:
    1. Lyman 429336, 250 grain, not too good as it has no crimp groove.
    2. Lee 429-214, 214 grain, good for light and moderate loads.
    3. RCBS 44-225 225 grain with gas check.

Would be happy to share loads. What powders are available in Italy?

Boolit Grand Master

The 429421 is an excellent choice. I have shot it from 800 fps to over 1,400 fps with excellent accuracy.

Just to mention it, .432" is the SAAMI spec for a 44 mag cast boolit with .4325" cylinder throats since 1979.

Boolit Buddy
    INGLESE
    powders that I can find in Italy are many, n320, 340, 7/800 x imr, n110, some lovex etc. ....... I have at home the n320 and n110 700x and I do not know which of these I will use.............

Boolit Buddy
    I using this revolver only for target at 100 meters and low ,becouse in italy is not possibile go to hunt with it ...

Banned

Cut my teeth with the 429421, so i can't say bad about it. I shot the .44 over 550 yards in 56-57. Elmer was my hero. Still is. Friends thought me crazy but bust a rock that far and they change fast. Never forget the day I held too high and cut a branch over a camp, must have been 1000 yards away. Camping not allowed and I did not know they were there. I shot over a RR bank. They came looking for me. Asked why they were camping in a restricted area.
    Still scary, could have hurt someone. I never forgot how far a .44 will go.

Boolit Master
    I just took my brand new SS 7.5" Hunter to the range Wednesday after work. Went through a box of PMC factory lead, did not touch the sights. 3"-4" at 7 o'clock @ 25. Cylinder was pinned and found three at a really tight .432" and the others snug .432". Light leading an inch and a half back from muzzle, wiped right out. A 421, 244, and an old solid 640 SC lives here, maybe if I am a good boy this year Santa will bring that silver Leupold!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I just took my brand new SS 7.5" Hunter to the range Wednesday after work. Went through a box of PMC factory lead, did not touch the sights. 3"-4" at 7 o'clock @ 25. Cylinder was pinned and found three at a really tight .432" and the others snug .432". Light leading an inch and a half back from muzzle, wiped right out. A 421, 244, and an old solid 640 SC lives here, maybe if I am a good boy this year Santa will bring that silver Leupold!
    If you hunt, get an Ultra Dot, friend is doing 1/2" at fifty with his Hunter. Super gun!

In Remembrance

Of all my .44 molds the 3 favorite ones I use the most are from 3 different makers.

1. Lyman #429421 HP`ed by "Buckshot" in an older single cavity mold, excellent work and shoots very nicely.
    2.RCBS 44 - 250 - K that I`ve had for close to 40 years as is the Blackhawk that shoots them.
    3. Lee #429 - 214 WC no longer being made by LEE, my Ruger loves to shoot these flying "trashcans" as I call them.Robert

Boolit Master
    Yes Sir, Hunter was planning on going hunting with me. Thanks for the suggestion on Ultra, being a Leupold man I may have blinders. At a tick over half the cost of best deal found on scope the idea has become even more attractive and also the addition of low light capability is a plus. All the reviews seem to be positive with lifetime warranty, sounds good.

Banned

Go to Ultra Dot West for the best deal. Super wonderful people. Paid postage for all of mine too.
    They have increased in price like everything else. Don't get fancy, just the plain 4 minute dot. Put it on a deer and you have meat. I like the 30mm best.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Saeco #141 is their clone of #429421, which I use and works well for me. My friend Giorgio in Mirabello uses it also. I don't recall which Cheddite powder he uses in Italy, but if I recall, it is tbe Yellow,granular, and he works up his charge to obtain 400+/-5m/s from his Marlin rifle. He has killed lots of boar with this load, but must change to lead-free ammunition this season.

in boca Al lupo!

Boolit Master
    Just ordered from Optics Planet. Was looking at online and red banner popped and said call now for special deal and I called. One each 28mm knocked down to 151. with free shipping and its on the way. If it does not fit the bill there, maybe land on the MKlll. Grips, holster and cylinder pin will be on the way tomorrow.
    Pot and molds to be warmed soon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    ... Light boolits/bullets do not shoot good,...
    That's news to me! I've even shot 120 grain round balls,
    they were slow but very accurate as I recall.
    Guess a flat nose 225 grain lead boolit at 1100 fps is wimpy.
    I should start lifting weights again...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    That's news to me! I've even shot 120 grain round balls,
    they were slow but very accurate as I recall.
    Guess a flat nose 225 grain lead boolit at 1100 fps is wimpy.
    I should start lifting weights again...
    Depends, accurate is in the eye of the beholder. I don't like over 1" at 50 yards. 180 or 200 from a .44??? .44 starts at 240 gr. Many of my revolvers have done under that at 100, some to 1/2". Best group was 2-1/2" at 500 yards. But the .475 even beat that at 400 yards. A good .44 can do 1/2" at 50 yards.
    Seen 7 yard groups that are worse then a revolver at 300 yards.
    It is not a wimpy question at all. it is twist, velocity match and light does not work.
    A 180 or 200 is just not going to do it unless you shoot 7 yards. Give me a RB from a .44 and my slingshot will match or better it. When young I never came out of the field with less then 16 rabbits with a slingshot. Not allowed to hunt there with a gun and had shopping bags of rabbits to sneak in my car.
    What do you call accurate?

Boolit Master
    Never mind.
    Last edited by a.squibload; 11-01-2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Old stuff

You are answering to a post from 2014 ?

Boolit Master
    Oh, guess so, was tryin to catch up.