MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Reece, ya ever get that wire tweaked out on your LNLAP?

jim

Yes I sure did and thank you very much if I hadn't already said so. The machine works like a charm now.
    Reece.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I have 2 Lee pro 100 presses, I think people's main problem with Lee is that much of the equipment is made on the cheap side.BUT...It works well and if something breaks Lee always fixes it for free usually. I have no complaints. I could buy a Dillon if I wanted it but it would cut into my firearms budget, and who would want that. I love the auto case feeder on the pro 1000 and i doubt the dillon would produce ammo that is more accurate

Boolit Grand Master

My Lee Classic turret press was shipped today. They are sending me one for testing and evaluation and as soon as it arrives I will be posting a test report.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry I was inturrupted...

The Press will Retail for $120.00 and you shoud see it on sale coming in right at $100.00 . It is all cast steel and uses a 4 hole turret.

Update on my Lee 6 cavity mould. I really like it. The bullets drop at .314 from each cavity and they are nicely round and concentric. The large handles work well and the bullets drop freely from the mould. On the negative, the sprue plae screw likes to walk out of its hole. I'm going to drill and tap it for a keeper screw. Lee should have done this. Oh well. All-in-all, a nice piece of equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    KCSO,

Very interested in hearing how Classic Turret press works.

Marc

Boolit Grand Master

The Classic turret press came in yesterday and I got it mounted tonight.

Before I make my comments or do a full review of the press I thought I might mention the other presses i use so you will know where I am coming from. For absolute top notch accuracy i use a Co-Ax that is marked Bonnanza and was purchased in 1971. I also have a Spar T that came from about the same time. I have a Tru Line Jr that I have used for 38's and such since 1976 and I got the press well used. I also have a Herters perss that looks like a 2 hole C-H H press, but I don,t use it anymore. My most often used press is a Lee 3 hole turret press that i got the year they came out (1980??). I have 25 die sets in their own turrets so I can load most anything I need without screwing dies in and out. I am Not a fan of die turning. and until the Lee came along I thought the Co-Ax was the best thing since sliced bread and it is the most accurate press I have ever had.

Now to the new Lee, just a few quick impressions. It is BIG. It will load 50BMG and so it has a full 180 degrees of lever travel. The turret is a 4 hole style, but I may be able to switch it to a 3 hole head. (I'm cheap and I have 25 3 hole turrets, thats 250 bucks worth.) The 1.125 diameter ram of the Lee is smooth in operation and the ejected primers go right through and into a tube under the ram, along with all the grit. The leverage is good and sizing 35 whelen to 30-06 was easy.
    The new primer system is a big advance on the old turret press. The Long lever throw may make the press tiring to use, but I can load 45-110 with a 535 bullet without tipping the case into the press opening.

If anyone wan't the full low down I will do up a comprehensive report for the articles section.

Quote Originally Posted by quasi
    Lee= entry level crap

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THAT. I have a Lee Load Master that I have benn using for about seven years. It has loaded about 15,000 rounds of 9mm, 38/357, 45LC, and 223 rem. You have to adjust the ram about every 5,000 rounds, but that only takes five minutes to do.
    ONE SHOT, ONE KILL! SEMPER FI

I have the Lee 3 hole turrent press and couldnt be happier,and in conjuntion with the powder through expanding die and the pro powder measure this thing rock-n-rolls.I use the three hole turrent cause I full length size on a Lee singlestage I have and use the Lee autoprime for all my priming.I buy Lee because its what I can afford and I buy Lee because it works.This new Classic Turrent Press looks like a dandy and www.midway.com has them in stock now for 79.99 heres the link check it out......Steve

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=814175
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

HUH? Midway says it can handle cases "from 3" long all the way up to..." What about cases less than 3" long? Is this a serious misprint or what?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Lee has a new priming system for their turret press's that is a pour and stack style. It should make the process faster and eliminate handling. I found few things worse than the priming system that came out originally. I ordered one this morning from Graf& Son's 29.99 and a 4 hole update kit 15.99. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Wayne
    It handles cases up to 3" long. I have loaded everything from 32 S and W to 45-110 on mine with no problems. I retired my old Lee turret press after 100,000 rounds of ammunition and am currently working with the Lee cast classic turret press. I really like the primer arm and the primer disposal tube. I cut mine off to 12" and just empty it of spent primers and detrius every couple hundred rounds.

Boolit Master
    KCSO, is it possible to fabricate a shorter arm for those loading duties that don't require as much torque? If so, the shorter lever would mean less distance, hence less tiring. I'm thinking in terms of most everything except FLSing, and even then smaller well lubed cases should work okay. Looks like a nice press. I have had 2 turret presses for a looong time, one bought new, the other a garage sale special for almost free (with dies and turrets), and one I converted to the 4-holer. I like them for pissola ammo mostly. Priming on them sucks big time. New priming system is 'mo betta', huh? sundog

Ive wondered about the new priming system as well,But the Lee auto prime works so good I probably still just prime my cases all at once with it
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

I never thought of a shorter arm. I just grab the lever mid point and only pull it down enough for the case I am using at the time. I do a lot of my priming with an old Lee aluminum primer tool that I got in 1969. It still works fast enough for me, but if it ever wears out I will be lost.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Doesn't the Lee Classic turret have the adjustable bolt/nut on the linkage system -- like the the Lee Classic single stage press???

I have the single stage model and have the lever handle shortend down to where is is very conveinant for me...this is done by lousning the nut and sliding the round bar handle up or down to where you want it.

Jim

Boolit Buddy

Lee Cast Turret Press

My new one arrived Monday. So far I have loaded 100 rounds of 9mm on it. It looks to me like one of the best reloading investments I have made. Economical, fast, and easy to use. Very well made. Replaces my single stage Lyman. In the last year I am gradually replacing my reloading tools ( RCBS,Lyman) with Lee. Less expensive by a long shot, easier to use and just as proficient as the more expensive stuff. No financial ties to the company, just a very satisfied consumer.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2010 44 magnum's Avatar

Cool

I have one on order from F&M Reloading, cost was $74.91 plus $7.50 shipping.

F&M Reloading

Paul
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    IHMSA MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Turret

Could those of you who have the new classic turret press tell me if the old 3 holes turret will work on it?????
    Seem like Lee would make sure they would work together.
    I've been using the old turret for years and it's never let me down.