Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement metal for reloadable cartridges cases meant for extremely high pressure?

Boolit Master

I have some 9 MM x 19 that the cases are some type of steel , as a magnet will hold on to a fired case
    Not sure of the pressures , but I was told the ammo was for the Navy ... Maybe Seals
    But I know the box says in BIG BOLD PRINT not to be fires in any pistol
    Also I have seen 175 Gr 9 mm ammo with a 2 piece case
    Steel base and brass upper part

So I can see some people wanting to push the pressures up

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Wouldn't make more sense to ask the dude who made it what kind cartridges he is using?

How many max pressure 700 grain loads have you shot?
    The guy is German and hasn't posted in like a month, I'm also not a member of that forum. As for your other question, from this wildcat? None. From a bog standard .500 S&W? A box of 20 so far.

If ya like recoil ya could build a .950 jdj dont know if it has been discussed here but ya can find it on the net and youtube. Im pretty sure something like that will knock the recoil junkie right out of ya
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    If ya like recoil ya could build a .950 jdj dont know if it has been discussed here but ya can find it on the net and youtube. Im pretty sure something like that will knock the recoil junkie right out of ya
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
    I'm not sure I could chamber that in a revolver...

My concern would be the strength of the action. The case is supposed to be the "gasket" that expands and seals when the cartridge is fired. The real strength and integrity has to be the action not just the case itself.

A few years ago Brian Pierce had an article in Handloading magazine detailing Dick Casull's work with two-piece cartridge cases. He had designed his own rifles and the cartridge base which was made of steel fit inside the bolt and the bolt fit inside the breach end of the barrel making for a very strong setup. The front brass part of the cartridge had to be malleable enough to expand and seal the chamber and have tension on the neck for the bullet. I dont recall the pressures but if Casull was involved they were UP There.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 08-25-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The modern brass cartridge case will fail with modern loads first shot , It gets its strength from the close support of the chamber bolt face and action. This support provides the strength. This is why case life is much shorter on chambers that are worn out or excess head space. The lack of full support

Boolit Bub
    Well here is a pic of his custom cartridges and from what I'm looking at they appear to be brass. Anyone wanna speculate on why he decided to make them headspace off a belt instead of a rim like normal revolver cartridges?

Boolit Grand Master

more info here https://singleactions.proboards.com/...956/little-bfr

The case heads are either plated or they a one of the very hard types of brass that may not draw out well or an easy machining brass prototype. Normal cartridge brass will not take that pressure. The other issue will be flame cutting on the barrel and frame. S&W had to do significant R&D to deal with the flame cutting issues at 65K
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-25-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Will slow burning rifle powders flame cut at 95k?

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadingNoob View Post
    Well here is a pic of his custom cartridges and from what I'm looking at they appear to be brass. Anyone wanna speculate on why he decided to make them headspace off a belt instead of a rim like normal revolver cartridges?

My guess would be just a gimmick.

Boolit Grand Master

Will slow burning rifle powders flame cut at 95k?
    Yes....
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes....
    Double yes. Had a guy tell me today about a cartridge that runs 80K PSI. All I could think about was burnt out barrels. No thank you.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 08-28-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Double yes. Had a guy tell me today about a cartridge that runs 80K PSI. I could think about was burnt out barrels. No thank you.
    So flame cutting is a pressure thing and not a powder thing? I didn't know.

Ya wont get 95k in a short bbl with slow powders and i thought i already mentioned this but i guess not case thrust will be a serious problem i dont see a bfr lasting long at that pressure. Make the whole gun out of vascomax and figure out the cartridge problem ya might be able to find away to damage your wrists without blowing yourself up
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Bub
    Maybe the rounds are rimless and belted so the clearance between the rear of the cylinder and the breech face is much tighter? Would this be beneficial to brass case survivability with those extreme pressures?

Boolit Grand Master

Barrel materials can be changed so they will withstand pressure and heat erosion better. My guess is these materials currently exist but they will be less machinable and more expensive. In a normal rifle barrel there is very minimal gas blow by. Most of the "wear" is actually heat erosion of the throat area. Increased pressure equals increase temperatures. Dwell time also comes into play. In .223 match rifles shooting 80 grain plus bullets usable accuracy life is about a 1/3 or less than the same type rifle shooting 40 grains bullets for prairie dogs even taken into account the high rate of fire PD guns tend to be subject to.

In the case of a revolver 95K of gasses venting at the cylinder gap is going to be a significant hurtle to overcome. I have very limited experience on this subject but I did follow the challenges S&W had with the X-frames at 65K.

I have not doubt much higher pressure rifle cartridges are on the horizon. Not sure if the 500 O&Z Maximum is realistic or not in any platform but with the cylinder gap challenges revolvers all as I can say to the designer is best of luck.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

So flame cutting is a pressure thing and not a powder thing? I didn't know.
    Both and some powders are noted as being worse for flame cutting and erosion issues than others so types of powders does have an effect but there is no escaping pressure creates heat and pressure will cut steel. Here is a video of nitrogen being used to cut SS. Same for waterjets but they normally have some type of of abrasive in the waterjet.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    A guy who worked on the Abrams tank gun said it operated at 100KSI. Some of those cartridges are consumable and the breech is sealed by a short steel cup. Some of the Sbrsms asmmo produces 5700 fps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_Rh-120
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Hmm that's interesting, I was under the impression that the 120 operated below 60K psi. I'll have to read about that.