Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Is this a Pro 1000 converted to an indexing turret press?

Is this a Pro 1000 converted to an indexing turret press?

Is this a Pro 1000 converted to an indexing turret press?

That's my guess.

If so, does anybody sell a rod to make it not index? Or is their a simple fix for that?

I would be happy to use this as a turret press as I just gave away or sold my remaining single stage presses.

Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200824_201046.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	266733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200824_201052.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	266734

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Thats an original turret press. The 4 hole turret press was designed after lee came up with the factory crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Remove the rod and it won't index.

The rod puts pressure on the die head and keeps it aligned.

I may remove the rod and tap a hole in the side to put a retaining bolt.

No, that is a second generation Lee Value Turret press. The first generation used a roll pin on the side instead of a shoulder bolt. I own one and love it. I use it for all my pistol load development with just a standard everyday carbide 3 die set. And now that I will be reloading 223Rem. it will probably be done on it also.

KMW, what do you think of my idea to install a retaining bolt to hold the turret in line? It's a pretty loose fit.

Boolit Master
    There should be a ball to index the head , but when the case goes in the die it will line up with or without the indexing rod .

Boolit Master

Yup, no index rod needed, the cases will align just fine, I used one I purchased in the late 80's up until a couple years ago when I upgraded to the new classic turret press, but I converted it to a three-hole.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Bub
    I don’t know the 3 hole version, mine is a 4 hole. Look inside the turret head for a detent ball. That should keep the turret from rotating when the bar is removed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jld_in_IA
    John

I use mine frequently. In the example picture, there’s a rifle set up and a pistol set up. My dues are charging, seating, and crimping. I deprive and resize on a single stage trend hand prime. (I know it means I have to handle the cartridges a lot, but I reload as a hobby)

And my press has a Detent that keeps the head aligned. I can take the rod out and it wok just fine manually indexing. I had to do it for a short time after I stripped out the plastic rod bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    KMW, what do you think of my idea to install a retaining bolt to hold the turret in line? It's a pretty loose fit.
    Not sure I understand the pretty loose fit thing. Post #11 shows a pretty clear picture of how the detent ball should look, is yours stuck in or missing? On my turrets I need to apply a small amount of white lithium grease to the lugs otherwise it drags badly,

I can tell you this, if you wish to use a Lee 3 hole press and use the auto advance then even if you need to buy a parts press for the turret ring the cost of replacing those 2 parts that make the auto index, The rod and the ratchet clamp are worth more than the whole press. You just can't get them except used and they are becoming rare.

And here is the source of the confusion.
    Detent ball is not detenting. So, the turret just wobbled away.

Its soaking in Kroil right now.

So, now I can just remove that rod and use this as a traditional turret press.

Super.

Thanks for the help peeps!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM200825-082321001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	266761

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    And here is the source of the confusion.
    Detent ball is not detenting. So, the turret just wobbled away.

Its soaking in Kroil right now.

So, now I can just remove that rod and use this as a traditional turret press.

Super.

Thanks for the help peeps!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM200825-082321001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	266761
    Mine did that once. I also took a pick and tried my best to clean the hole and break loose the ball, also a small punch and light hammer to tap on the ball and turret ring. What you want to do is set up a vibration between the two parts. So just light quick taps. Mine did pop back.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks to me to be an early Lee 3 hole turret, notice the priming arm "slot" on the frame. I used a later style, 4 hole Lee turret for close to 30 years quite successfully hand indexing (when I was setting it up for the first time it would index when I didn't want it to so I removed the square rod and just continued to use it that way). I didn't want a "semi-progressive" press so I just hand indexed and that worked better for me because I batch load, doing just two or three operations on a case at a time...

FWIW; some complain about the turret movement under pressure when reloading, but with my press I was able to hold .002" OAL quite easily. Yes the turret did move upwards slightly, but it moved the same amount each and every time. On my press if the turret fit were much tighter, it may not index...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-25-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have a 3 hole lee pro 1000 have not used it in a long time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I can tell you this, if you wish to use a Lee 3 hole press and use the auto advance then even if you need to buy a parts press for the turret ring the cost of replacing those 2 parts that make the auto index, The rod and the ratchet clamp are worth more than the whole press. You just can't get them except used and they are becoming rare.
    I made one for my Classic turret with reversed rotation, it's just 1/4" stock twisted in a vise with heat and an adjustable wrench. I drilled & tapped the thread for the bolt on one and another I just ground it down and threaded it with a die. I
    I can use the Classic Turret in reverse making it auto eject the case.

I see that rod is Hex shaped? I did find the Hex ratchets http://fsreloading.com/lee-precision...x-ratchet.html

NyFirefighter357 you are correct. the Classic and the new Value 4 Hole press use a square rod while the 3 Hole press and the Pro1000 use a hex rod. The Turret press rod has a nut on the top the Pro1000 does not. The Hex ratchets are still available and produced by Lee Precision as they are still used in the Pro1000. Next the Hex rod will not fit into the 4 Hole Classic press because the rod is too short.

My question for everyone that may have tried it but will the Auto index clamp from the 3 hole press retro-fit onto the new Value press ram? Are the lengths of the Auto Advance rods the same length? We already know that the 3 hole turret ring will fit.