Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30's on sale at Big 5

Boolit Master

Mosin Nagant 91/30's on sale at Big 5

Got this in the newspaper yesterday, headed down today and check out what they may have.

Boolit Master
    LOL! ....................

Yup ....... that's how it all starts!!!

Five Mosins later ............. I outta know!!!

Enjoy 'em ...... they are gem ........ and after some of those nice long barreled rifles ..... get yourself a M38 Mosin ...........

That's my favorite for a trapsiing rifle ........ light, short ............ kind mean on the backstroke ...... but since when are guns for Wusses?

Three 44s

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Everyone needs 10 or 12 Mosins I bedtcha I've been through 20 or more getting the 6 great shooters I now have. They have to be one of the best Mil-Surp deals going. I'd fight you over my 91/59!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Go in there 12 times since there is a limit of one. Get one each time. Keep one in your truck, one in your barn, one in your bedroom, so forth and so on. Great rifles, indestructible. Will do for anything from rabbits to moose. Sure wish someone would put some on sale around here.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    LOL! ....................

Yup ....... that's how it all starts!!!

Five Mosins later ............. I outta know!!!

Enjoy 'em ...... they are gem ........ and after some of those nice long barreled rifles ..... get yourself a M38 Mosin ...........

That's my favorite for a trapsiing rifle ........ light, short ............ kind mean on the backstroke ...... but since when are guns for Wusses?

Three 44s

You mean a little short one? (;>) I got this one off the neighbor for $25.00, then pseudo scouted it out.

Banned

I wrote up about painting a stock with truck bed liner a while ago on the CBA forum and it might be something to consider for your scout rifle. The pictures are of a beat up 10/22 I got from a guy and fixed up a bit. The stock's real easy to do and comes out pretty nice. The liner spray hides all sorts of blemishes and if you ever chip it just spray the spot again and it blends right in.
    Last edited by Pat I.; 04-08-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

They have them on sale like every other week. I perfer the carbine version.
    Aim small, miss small!

Smile

I love the big long ones, but the carbines are handier for some things. They make a very entertaining muzzle blast with full power loads.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    They make a very entertaining muzzle blast with full power loads.
    Ladies and gentleman. Let me introduce Mr "Ricochet". The king of the understatement.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Ladies and gentleman. Let me introduce Mr "Ricochet". The king of the understatement.
    Boy you got that right, I think the M-38 & 44 were tri use, rifles, flame throwers, and noise intimidation weapons.

But whoa, on the Big 5 $89.00 advert, I came, I saw, and UGH. They only had one 91/30 in very sad shape on the rack, and the bore looked like the wreck of the Hesperus.

I asked if they had more I could look through, the pencil necked geek sales clerk said, "take it or leave it, we only put one out at a time," so, I left it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    I wrote up about painting a stock with truck bed liner a while ago on the CBA forum and it might be something to consider for your scout rifle. The pictures are of a beat up 10/22 I got from a guy and fixed up a bit. The stock's real easy to do and comes out pretty nice. The liner spray hides all sorts of blemishes and if you ever chip it just spray the spot again and it blends right in.
    Thanks for sharing, that sounds good, will give some thought to doing same.

When I got the rifle, it had already been bubba-rized by someone, I retrofitted a cheap scout mount, put on a old BSA pistol scope had laying around gathering dust and made a lace up leather cheek piece for it. The bore is near perfect, no expert by any means on the MN and I don't even know for sure which model it is. Was told it was a M-38, but two other guys said it is a variant known as a M-91/59 carbine, they said these were converted from a 91/30 by cutting off the barrel and making up into a carbine configuration sans a bayonet.

I do know with .312 cast bullets, it is very accurate and makes a great knock about carry rifle for the old 4-wd Jimmy or ATV.

Only work I did on it:

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/early.html#

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmm ...... not "my" Big 5!!

I would ask for a supervisor!

And if that did not do it ...... the manager!

And maybe you get to look at different specimens or maybe not but it's worth a shot!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Your 25 dollar "blue light"!!!

It does not look exactly like my "38" ........ so a 91/59 is certainly possible ...... maybe someone who knows those can chime in?

Enjoy

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    someone has them on Gunbroker for $50.00

Super Moderator

...............The little blurb down low in the coupon and also when they're simply in the adds, that says "Rifle Condition May vary" is a fairly new addition and MAY be in response to people asking the counterhelp to essentially drag out thier entire inventory. Our local Big 5 had begun putting trigger locks on all the rifles about a year ago and won't take them off. You can't even look down a cosmolined bore.

Last ime I was in was for just such a sale (wasn't a couppon deal though) I asked the counterbeing about the triggerlock. She said she couldn't take it off. I said, "Bummer" and handed the rifle back, said thanks and walked out.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Find another Big 5. The quality of their clerks vary wildly. I was looking at Mil-surps at a local Big 5 when this little girl (at least to me) walked up and asked if she could answer any questions. I was expecting her to ask me if I wanted "fries with that," when she started talking. She knows her Mil-surps, shoots the Mil-surps, and was more than willing to find a good one, if there was a good one. Needless to say, that is now the Big 5 I go to.

Boolit Master
    The mileage at the local Big Five varies here quite a bit!

But I have had good luck inspecting more than the rifle on the rack .... in fact, they bring out a boxed one to sell ....... selling the rack specimen means they have to clean the cosmo of a still boxed one.

But they did remove the trigger lock for me ......... and when the manager refused to sell two 24/47's claiming they were higher priced than the brochure stated ...... I questioned it ... he told me THOSE cost more and weren't "on" sale.

I took a rain check and started calling back ...... an assistant manager told me .... they had two rifles ..........

........... I came back in and found they were the two rifles that the manager refused to sell at the sale price.

I was honest ...... I told her what the manager said ........... she grimaced ....... and SOLD me those rifles at sale price .......

I "think" the manager was up to something ......... saving them for himself? .......... for a friend ????

She still works there ......... so nothing came of it ........... I warned her .......... no sleep lost on my part!

The moral of the story ...... is that sometimes you have to keep trying to get the square peg in the round hole .......

.......... and maybe a different store!

Three 44s

Banned
    wow just a few years ago they were like $39....glad I got mine then

Big 5 puts them on sale at that price kind of frequently. Condition varies. I would check several locations if possible to find the one that is in the best condition. Many of them have counter bored barrels. This was done on rifles that had worn crowns from improper cleaning procedures. If it is a long rifle, you can turn the barrel back & recrown it properly. If it is a carbine, then you may not have enough meat left to do that & still keep the minimum legal barrel length.

Big 5 also puts some old Styers on sale sometimes for a really cheap price. They are in a weird old caliber (8 x 56 or something) that you can't buy loaded ammo for anymore. Graf's did still have brass in that weird caliber the last time that I checked. For a caster, that might be a nice item to pick up if the condition is good. I went to look at one once, but the nitwit at the counter would not let me pull the bolt out to look at the barrel, so I passed on it.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Jim, that "nitwit at the counter" may have known a thing or two. If you don't know what you are doing pulling the bolt on a Steyr 95 (straight pull bolt) in 8x56R it is easy to release the bolt head and not always simple to return it to position. If the way you wrote above was your attitude at the counter I wouldn't have let you, either. Done it for you, explaining the process, probably.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!