Inline Fabrication

Thread: $747,500.00 SAA Colt

Banned

$747,500.00 SAA Colt

Once owned by Mel Torme, payed $750.00 in 1954. Sears display gun

https://www.morphyauctions.com/james...special-36438/

Wonder how it shoots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Wonder how it shoots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I don't care how good it shoots or who owned it. It isn't worth that kind of money. (Grumps because he can't afford to spend a tenth of that on a gun like that.)

Young daughter and I stopped at my LGS one day when she was about six. I was looking at the 1930-model C96 (broomhandle) .30 Mauser they had on display for $1450.00. She said "Daddy, I found one I like!" so I went to look at it. Similar to the one that started this thread, and tagged at $22,500.00. Engraved and gold-inlaid Cold Bisley, I think it was. Birdshead grip, ivory panels. Good taste in guns, she had. She'll be 23 this year. Still doesn't own a pistol. Something about loosing her job a few months ago... Pretty good excuse, I guess.

Moderator Emeritus

That auction was held in 2009, according to the website. Collectors collect, and shooters shoot. It's not up to us to judge one or the other.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Maybe i should do some gold inlay on a hoe from ace then hang it on the wall above my fireplace and see what it fetches in a few years. Sounds like the perfect scam.
    Last edited by Ozark mike; 08-15-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

The buyer is free to spend his money however he wants. That’s how it works in this country. Telling someone how they should spend their money is not the American way. We also don’t know if the buyer has donated to any “causes”. It’s definitely not uncommon to make charitable donations for tax purposes. And at the end of the day the reason for the donation means nothing.

I don’t own anything Colt and have no desire whatsoever to ever own anything w/ the prancing pony on. Much like vehicles, which I like, certain brands command a “tax”. Colt is certainly in this category. I don’t collect cars or vehicles to sit around and not be used. But more power to anyone that wants to do exactly that. Their money so have at it.

Boolit Master
    That Colt’s price was the subject of discussion at Sears, then the Great Depression hit. They put that Colt’s is a safe and it sat there and was forgotten. After the economy came back Sears had it appraised and couldn’t believe what it was worth

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Any item's worth is dictated by what somebody is willing to pay for it.
    Obviously somebody thought this revolver was worth what he paid.
    Not my place to judge whether he got his money's worth...he obviouslyly thought he did and it was his money to spend as he saw fit.

Boolit Master
    Wonder what else the owner has in his collection.

$750,000 here, and $750,000 there, and after a while, you’re talking about real money.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful old Colt but I would rather have had Elmer Keith's No. 5 even though it went for a measly $80,000.00.

Serial number looks a little shaky, I'll pass

For that price we could afford 12,458 rnds of .950 jdj
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    That is an investment that looks like a gun. And it sounds like it was a good one.

I read the story of Mel’s research and the tracking down and purchase of that Colt years ago in a gun magazine. Guns like that are pure investment items. Some people collect paintings, others Beanie Babies. In America there is a large percentage of people that collect something. The people that collect things like Beanie Babies and Franklin Mint stuff are the ones who are going to get stiffed. They are the ones who are wasting their money, not the people buying million dollar guns and paintings.