Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: New Uberti hammers

Banned

New Uberti hammers for my 44spl

My new Taylor Cattleman 44 special has the three click retractable firing pin abortion. My back order finally came in for a non safety 4 click hammer and trigger.

You can see I already striped nasty red cloudy urethane gunk off the grip, stained it and used about 6 coats of linseed oil on it

The bottom short barrel gun is a Uberti CMS short stroke pro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2300-1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	265051

Couple days later I found I could get the wide low hammer. Got it from Cimarron,(their last one) a non safety, 4 click low wide hammer that I will put be putting in the 4 3/4" barrel 44 spl. I like the Cimarron low hammer shape better than the Taylor low hammer(not shown)

The Low hammer came with polished rub surfaces. It still needed a little de-burring/ stoning . The regular hammer needs de- burring also and Ill stone and polish it too. For a extra for another gun

Name:	IMG-2301-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	265052

Name:	IMG-2303-1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	265053

Got a unfinish grip also looks like walnut. Interesting, these Uberti rough grips wont take much more to finish fitting them to the frame.

That original red urathane finish was tough to get off. Wasnt using my regular max strength stripper. Took several applications to melt it and get it scraped off with a bondo squeegee. It was surface thick also. Wood was very light/white , not sure it was even walnut. I stained it straight with Laural Mtn American Walnut, then plenty Laurel Mtn Honey Maple added to the linseed oil . Color doesnt show in the pic

Name:	IMG-2304-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	265054
    Last edited by GSP7; 07-20-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Interesting. The steps in the hammers appear very close. I'd like to see a photo comparing one of these hammers and the one you're replacing.

Banned
    Those two hammers in my pic, steps are the same, one is just polished on the front edge where the trigger sear rides

The retractable pin hammer doesnt have the first step, just two.

Ill post a pic later

Banned
    Here is the retractable pin hammer

ATTACH=CONFIG]265129[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG-2310-1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	265130
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-2305-1.jpg  

Banned
    Finish I installed the new 4 click thunderstorm hammer and trigger and also Lee gunslinger, main spring and pawl/trigger spring . Polished things, deburr the new hammer etc, put back together.

You have probably heard these are drop in and you're good to go.

Nope.... It gets frustrating .... I had to take it apart 3 times to adjust the trigger sear and hammer .

Gun would not go into fourth click/ Full cock all the time. The trigger sear was too long. Had to stone the sear shorter and I also had to stone a angle to get rid of creep and get and nice crisp trigger

I almost made the trigger too light . Its about a 2lb. pull. Nice light slick action. The wire pawl/trigger spring really lightened it up. Im very happy how it turned out

Name:	IMG-2309.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	265133

Name:	IMG-2308.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	265134

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    You turned a six shot revolver into an undependable 5 shot?
    Well, I've done dumber things.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Actually nice job.

I'm glad it turned out well for you. The photos are very interesting. Odd, isn't it, how a company producing an almost-150 yr. old successful design will suddenly feel the need to redesign it? I have two .32-20 Uberti 1873s that had an earlier version of their redesigned hammer, different yet from the one you replaced, that started chewing up their internals. I was successful in replacing them with genuine Colt hammers which turned out to be kind of expensive, but they work fine now.