Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Pure lead + Lyman #2

Pure lead + Lyman #2

Hi all,
    I tried today following your Lead Alloy Calculators to make the Lyman #2: 3 parts of pure lead + 1,5 parts of Lyman #2
    The result was not satisfying, absolutely not: any temperature I was using, my Lyman Postells were "freezed", impossible to make them shiny and with well defined rings. Also, when I get the freezed surfaces, the bullets shrinks badly and not in a uniform way (slightly curved). But when I was melting the Lyman #2 I had not absolutely no problem with the same Postells, just watching the temperature not varying from 340° to 360°.

Any suggestion? thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 20.05.57.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	263825

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 20.36.36.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	263826
    Last edited by Claudius; 06-19-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If I’m reading you correctly(and I apologize if I’m not), looks like you are using 2:1 pure lead to Lyman #2. By my math that would put you at 96.66% lead, 1.67% tin, 1.67% antimony.
    You might benefit from higher temp with low tin like that.
    1:1 pure lead to Lyman #2 might be easier casting but yours should certainly be doable if you get your temp dialed in

Hi Neverhome, you're correct, I tried to make my pure lead a bit harder, following the calculations the 96.66/1.67/1.67 alloy should give approximately 10 BNH. But it was impossible to find a right temperature. In your opinion the 1:1 pure lead + Lyman #2 is easier to cast? why?

Boolit Buddy
    I’m certainly no expert but in my limited experience casting pure lead bullets for air guns I have to use much higher temp to get fill out.
    I get much better results using 1:1 pure to Lyman #2 or other random alloys that are close.
    It’s the tin content that makes it flow easier.
    So with a low-ish tin content you can definitely cast beautiful bullets but just plan to require a higher pot temp. You may need to be over 370-380 degrees.

I tried at 320-340-360-380°, touching over 460°, but no luck!
    Maybe your suggestion to make 1:1 pure lead + Lyman #2 could give me more chances to have decent bullets.

Boolit Master
    Yep, 1:1 is a much better alloy due to the tin content being above 2. However, even with that, the bullets will not be as shiny as Lyman #2 and diameters will be slightly smaller due to the reduced antimony content. Shiny may look nice but is meaningless.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Any one know what the BN is mixing Lyman 2 and pure lead one to one.

Boolit Buddy
    Should be 12ish

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    Should be 12ish

Thanks that what I'm look for. You Neverhome because your always on the boat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Thanks that what I'm look for. You Neverhome because your always on the boat.
    Precisely!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    Precisely!

Retired 25 years ago, that was my best day with the company

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Yep, 1:1 is a much better alloy due to the tin content being above 2. However, even with that, the bullets will not be as shiny as Lyman #2 and diameters will be slightly smaller due to the reduced antimony content. Shiny may look nice but is meaningless.

Don
    Thank you so much for your information, you and the Neverhome guy saved my day and my lead batch. So I went back to my lab and adjusted the proportions for a 1:1 alloy, and it worked! Finally I can get some good bullets, just a bit softer than the 90/5/5 Lyman, so I wil be happy to shoot them in my Pedersoli Sharps "Q", the bullet is from the Lyman 457125 mold. Using the Lyman #2 the bullets had too much large nose, about .4525" diameter, now it is .451" and they can be chambered more easily than before. In the attached photo, from right: a bullet from #457125 mold and the Lyman #2 alloy, a 45-70 cartridge and 2 bullets from this "new" 1:1 pure lead + Lyman #2 alloy.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-20 at 11.57.12.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	263864
    Last edited by Claudius; 06-20-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Having a 45-70 myself, Dang but that's a big bullet!!!

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    Hi all,
    I tried today following your Lead Alloy Calculators to make the Lyman #2: 3 parts of pure lead + 1,5 parts of Lyman #2
    The result was not satisfying, absolutely not: any temperature I was using, my Lyman Postells were "freezed", impossible to make them shiny and with well defined rings. Also, when I get the freezed surfaces, the bullets shrinks badly and not in a uniform way (slightly curved). But when I was melting the Lyman #2 I had not absolutely no problem with the same Postells, just watching the temperature not varying from 340° to 360°.

Any suggestion? thanks.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 20.05.57.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	263825

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 20.36.36.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	263826
    adding pure lead to lyman #2 makes something thats not lyman #2 ?
    If your trying to stretch your inventory thats one thing. I have learned that if your happy with a alloy dont mess with it.
    I made a Faux lyman#2 . 12lbs of Clip on Wheel weights and .5 lb 63/37 solder gives me right around 3% 3% 94% I have plenty of the solder and wheel weight alloy and it gives me nice bullets and I water quench to get them harder if needed. I run the casting pot right around 700'