RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need advice about a j-bullet load for .380 Auto

Boolit Buddy

Need advice about a j-bullet load for .380 Auto

I know this is the place for CB cartridge discussion, but I could not find a more proper place. I want to use up the remainder of my IMR PB by loading .380 Auto cartridges with some PB behind a Hornady 100 gr RN FMJ hollow base. Have lots of manuals but found only limited info. My proposed plan is to use 2.6 gr of PB unless someone convinces me otherwise. Want a load that is not max, but has a high probability of proper functioning in a wide variety of pistols. All advice is appreciated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your 2.6 grains of PB looks like a safe load which should function most pistols based upon checking loads in several Lyman manuals. I used to load 2.5 grains of old DuPont PB in a Beretta 1934 with the 90-grain #358242 and it functioned well. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010) lists 2.8 of PB with 90-grain #358242 at 860 fps /15,200 and 2.2 grains with the 120-grain version of the same bullet for 750 fps / 15,800 cup. Jacketed vs. cast pressures do not equate due to differences in shot-start/engraving pressure and bore drag, but IMHO you are fine in a sturdy pistol. If shooting a Kel-Tec I'd be more conservative and back off to 2.2 and see if the load runs.

In the WW2-era steel-frame Beretta 1934, which is built like a little tank, as well as in the Ruger LCP and SIG P230 I am shooting 2.5 grains of current Alliant Bullseye with the Accurate 35-120H bullet as a "full-charge load not to be exceeded." It runs all the guns smartly!, but I've also run over 1000 rounds through each gun with no parts breakage, any signs of battering or damage. Bullseye is much faster than PB, so I don't think 2.6 grains of PB will approach anywhere near max with a 100-gr. FMJ.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-14-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75,

Thank you for your prompt and expert advice. I will proceed with the 2.6 gr.