Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Handgun scopes

Handgun scopes

Entering the world of handgun scopes.

There I said it!

Began with my 6 inch GP100 357 mag and a cheap green dot and even tho I still hunt for the dot ... I can shoot off the bench as good as I did when in my youth.

Thinking that if this green dot with no magnification is so cool ... I went ahead and ordered a cheap scope to find out if it helps me improve my revolver shooting over the green dot.

Hoping to get it mounted on the GP and maybe get out to give it a run.

Sure never thought that I would ever be here ... but I have concluded that either the guns are less accurate ... OR just maybe my eyes are not cutting the mustard.

So anyway ... thought I would ask around if I am alone in this or if others have resorted to these new fangled sightin gizzmo's?

I use red dots on all of my hunting handguns. I have a leupold m8-2x handgun scope, but have found that it takes too long to line up shots with the scope. I am an east coast deer hunter, and hunt in the woods. A long shot would be 75-100 yards. I put the scope on a mark iv 22lr and will try it out for squirrels this fall.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Leupold on my Ruger SBH Hunter in .45 Colt, and a Weaver on my Ruger SRH .454 Casull. They are great for ammo developing and group testing, but I don't think I'd want to hunt with a scoped revolver because they are so hard to pack. The good part is that I can remove and replace them without changing point of impact.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Off a bench, scopes sure help. For hunting, they are a detriment more than an aide. Even a 2x scope is tough to use on deer inside of 30 yards unless they stop for you. If I were taking 75+ yard shots, it may be different.

This is something I have thought about, and I've concluded the best way is to use a scope for working up loads, but hunt with the open sights or red dot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Off a bench, scopes sure help. For hunting, they are a detriment more than an aide. Even a 2x scope is tough to use on deer inside of 30 yards unless they stop for you. If I were taking 75+ yard shots, it may be different.

This is something I have thought about, and I've concluded the best way is to use a scope for working up loads, but hunt with the open sights or red dot.
    For the most part I have to agree on all points here. I need to find a decent red dot to put in my smith and Wesson PC Hunter.

Boolit Master
    I'm a long time handgun hunter. I've been using scoped handguns since the mid 1980's. I've taken shots as close as 10 yds,, & as far away as almost 200 yds. I have taken over 100 whitetails, an elk, & a bunch of other critters with scoped handguns.
    Scopes do help.
    You do have to practice with them,, to learn how to properly use them.
    You do have to be willing to pass on a shot you aren't sure you can make.
    You will notice more "movement" with a scope than irons.
    You will never regret using QUALITY built optics,, either in scopes or dots.
    If buying a dot optic,, I prefer the smaller MOA dots,, due to the size of the dot at distance. (A 3 MOA will look even bigger than 3" at 100 yds. It's all in the mind,, but it does appear that way.)

We all wish our eyes wouldn't age,, but sadly,, we all get there sooner or later.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I'm a long time handgun hunter. I've been using scoped handguns since the mid 1980's. I've taken shots as close as 10 yds,, & as far away as almost 200 yds. I have taken over 100 whitetails, an elk, & a bunch of other critters with scoped handguns.
    Scopes do help.
    You do have to practice with them,, to learn how to properly use them.
    You do have to be willing to pass on a shot you aren't sure you can make.
    You will notice more "movement" with a scope than irons.
    You will never regret using QUALITY built optics,, either in scopes or dots.
    If buying a dot optic,, I prefer the smaller MOA dots,, due to the size of the dot at distance. (A 3 MOA will look even bigger than 3" at 100 yds. It's all in the mind,, but it does appear that way.)

We all wish our eyes wouldn't age,, but sadly,, we all get there sooner or later.
    You seem to be taking longer shots that a scope can help. Especially since I'm guessing you are big into the contender, based on your name. You have to admit that a handgun scope of any kind is a handicap inside of 50 yards. They simply do not have enough field of view.

Boolit Master
    Actually, many of my shots are with a scope in the 25-65 yd range on my property,,, and no,, I have not considered it a handicap. I DO wait for the deer to present a standing shot. I do allow myself time to pick the spot I want to send the bullet into. I do enjoy the fact a scope is precise enough to allow this. And yes, I do use a rest as much as possible.
    Most of my deer hunting mentioned above has been with a Contender. But I also carry scoped & iron sighted revolvers. I went on an elk hunt this past fall, and my primary handgun was an iron sighted El Dorado in 45 Colt, (made locally, and I wanted to use it as a tribute to my friends who built it,) with my back-up gun a FA in 454, scoped,, just in case the distance wasn't going to allow me a shot under 100 yds. Yes,,, I was going to use an iron sighted gun out to 100 yds. The elk didn't come out of the mountains due to the warm weather & out of 9 hunters,, not a shot was fired.

I shoot a handgun a LOT. I hunt almost 100% with one. I rarely use a rifle. I haven't taken a whitetail in about 15-20 years with a rifle. Then, it was in a place where shots could be out to 400 yds. Instead of following MY thoughts, I allowed the owner of the property convince me to carry my .270 instead. I killed 3 deer, all within easy handgun range for me. None were over 75 yds.

My points;
    Handguns can & are quite successful for hunting big game. A scoped handgun allows more precise shot placement. Yes, there are limitations,, and even as mentioned,, the field of view is less with a handgun scope (over rifle scopes) as well as closer in. But it has never felt like a handicap TO ME! The biggest thing is it takes PRACTICE with any handgun to be successful AND confidant using one. Irons, scoped, or with a dot,, all require practice.

Boolit Buddy
    For all - which red dots do you use most on handguns? my old eyes are getting or have gotten to the point that open sights are almost unusable to me.
    (Not looking to open a can of worms - just what you find works for you)
    TIA

Boolit Grand Master

There is a key difference. You are willing and able to wait for deer to stop. While I'm willing to make a noise to stop deer, the chances that they stop in a way that gives me a shot is practically nothing. Even a slow walking deer is a very tough target with a pistol scope. On the other hand, it is easier with open sights or a red dot. Nothing is easy per se, that's why we handgun hunt. For the challenge.

Boolit Master
    rdwarrior,, look into "UltraDot" as a good quality red dot for handguns.

And yes,, I do wait on deer to stop. Where I hunt,, they are being "natural" and feeding, walking, etc. And deer will almost always walk a little, stop to check things (security), and such. And yes,, I have taken a few while they were moving. A few big bucks were following does,, and didn't stop. I still was quite able to make a clean, one shot kill on them, using a scope. And my area is the mountains of WNC where we have a lot of thick brush, and shorter distances in general. I hunt on my own property, and I my longest area to see a clean shot angle at any of my stands is under 100 yds. Most,, 65 yds & under.

Boolit Master
    Bushnell Holosight here!

I have scopes (magnification) in the strictest sense and a Leopoldo Gilmore thrown in for spice as well.

But my favorite are my two Holosights (civilian version of the EoTech).

Takes a bit of practice to gain quick acquisition of the dot but it is fairly easy.

With an improvised rest I get 80% hits on a golf ball at 35 yds with my Ruger RH in 44 Mag.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Great responses ... thanks. Lots of good info here.

Maybe tell what you use and why?

I have gotten a cheaper 2 to 7 scope but the field is so small that it is or would be very difficult to get on target fast ... but ... shooting rested and at paper ... very cool to see what my revolver is really capable of.

My round green dot is a cheaper one but I see the value of it as well.

Guess I will wait for recommendations and reasons why and plan on getting a good scope and green dot sights. Will not get a red dot as my eyes will not pick up red very well. Especially when mixed with other outdoor colors. A bit color blind ... have been for years.

Would like to hear your responses on the holographic sights ... have as yet not tried or looked thru one of these. They seem more rugged and lighter ... maybe easier to get on target with.

Look forward to reading more responses. Thanks all

I prefer tube sight red dots for hunting, and have settled on the ultra dots also. I have a matchdot II with a 2moa dot that is my favorite. I also have a regular ultradot with a 4moa dot, and it is fine. The dot is just slightly larger. I have both 30mm and 1” tubes, and prefer the 30mm because of the wider field of view. Another plus with the ultradots, is they are very easy to adjust the brightness. I like low power for mornings and evenings, and a little brighter during the day.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll second the ultradot. The box looks so generic, but they work very well. I don't mess with the red dots much anymore, but some of the lower profile holographic "reflex" sights sure look like they would be nice to use. The red dots we have now sure aren't the clunky things we had even 15 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    No magnification for me. I have reflex sights on both my Sig M17 and P320 Carry. Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for the M17 and Sig Romeo 1 for the P320. They have allowed me to enjoy shooting again after many years of declining enjoyment due to vision.

In the past I have shot handguns with both scopes and red dot sights. My problem with them was the distraction of the ring around the glass in my vision, some scopes/sights usually the red dots thicker than others. For some reason on a rifle that has never been an issue.

The reflex sights are great on handguns for me because of the thin housing around the sides and top of the glass that to me disappears when I get on target, and I am investigating ways to mount reflex sights on my Redhawk and Blackhawk.

Just yesterday I ordered a rail and Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight for my Henry Big Boy and am really looking forward to getting them installed and to the range.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

For mounts on redhawks and blackhawks, checkout jack weigand. He makes some good stuff.