Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMCD ProductsInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Castable reloadable tack driver

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Yepper. I find casting .22's to be no big deal. Ditto sizing, checking, and loading same. I routinely achieve half-MOA (and often less) at 50 yards with my Winchester Model 54 .22 K-Hornet, using #225438's and Lee Bator's and mild charges of Unique, 2400, and 4759. At 100 yards groups open up due mainly to the effects of even mild breezes- about how what one expects a good .22 rimfire to behave.

If you put a gun to my head and told me I could have but one rifle to cast bullets for, for the rest of my life, I would take a good accurate .22 Hornet in either single shot or bolt persuasion.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but will eventually do this with a .218 Bee, I have a feeling it may be even a little better. Then there's that .25-20 I need to get casting for too.

Still, a Hornet is a pretty darn good tool for the task, and not nearly the pain I have heard others say it is to load for.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a barrel stubbed 22 K hornet H and R Handi Rifle single shot built by David White. It is so well built, it is kind of ridiculous. Every aspect is as perfect as a single shot could be. No squirrel or coyote stands a chance inside a couple hundred yards. Unless a mouse farts cross wise, then the bullet will be blown off course.

I have never cast for it, but I certainly could.

Because of the K Hornet chamber, the brass lasts very well. A pound of powder goes a long way, and you could get a ton of boolits out of a pound of lead.

I should shoot it more honestly. I bought it for my son to learn to reload, and he never got excited reloading, and then moved out a year ago.

Yeah 22 K hornet single shot gets my vote!

Dan

Rich, your right sometimes you can find loaded for less then just the brass. When I find that I buy it too. I have accumulated about 350 cases by hook or crook, but they just don't seem to last as long at the range as my Weatherby.
    Last edited by Minerat; 04-17-2020 at 08:13 PM. Reason: fixed name
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    You will have to tell us someday how easily you got spoiled by the bolt action (or single shots). They are so easy to keep clean! As much as I enjoy shooting my semi-autos, sometimes I just am not in the mood to do proper diligence with them so don't break them out.

Moderator Emeritus

As soon as it gets here I plan on playing. I made the mistake of trying out my Ruger Super Gp100 about a month ago one handed. Just couldn't wait after back surgery as long as I should have. After the 3rd shot the middle of my back was screaming and took a long time to go back to "normal ". Doc was right it is gonna take longer than I thought before back to normal. Figure a lil 17 hornet is ok. I have to play as withdrawals are tough.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Over looked by a lot so far .

I shoot a Savage 340 in 222 it has a slow twist and to my surprise shoots the NOE 225-55 FP , now the 225-62 I think , @62 gr very very well 5 shot groups regularly go well inside a 1" grid square at 100 yd with just a 4x scope . It's also dawdling along at 2,640 fps which is jacketed speeds . Brass is seasonal but readily made from 223 if needed .
    FC brass , CCI 400 , 19.0 H322 , 2640 fps .
    WW brass , CCI 200 (SPP) 2.5 Unique , 1240 fps with the same 62 gr . Same groups at 50 yd functionally it's a really angry 22 mag .

In both loads recoil is nil , the 2nd could be stepped down but I didn't have the small drum for the Uniflow then to get it subsonic . The crack is loud with the light load but not hearing damage really although I'm deaf anyway .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .