Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Ruger ruined the revolver

Boolit Buddy

Looks like Ruger ruined the revolver

Now fellas, before yall jump at my throat, this is just MY opinion. I happen to be a puritan when it comes to guns & don't particularly like plastic. I happen to work wood & enjoy the uniqueness of wood stocks for example. I can appreciate the use of "polymers" for certain reasons. But why, oh WHY, would they want to make a polymer revolver? I realize the frame is aluminum & the fire control assembly is housed in plastic. But in a j frame size gun, would the plastic really make THAT big a weight difference over aluminum? I don't think so . I'm not even going to mention the MSRP on this horrendous looking thing. Oh, & be sure to check out all the shnazzy words they use to describe it.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCR/index.html
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Yeah, I won't even own an alunimum frame revolver, let alone something like that. It's a far cry from my Colt New Service.

Boolit Master
    Yup, IMHO it's butt-ugly. I have zero interest in even seeing this gun, let alone handling or buying one. Some guys think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Not me.

End of discussion. Next topic?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

I know what ya mean, I love steel and wood, but for some reason I like this revolver. Opinions aside, Ruger probably did do something for the ounce counters. Smith's 12oz scandium at $1000+ or a 15 oz aluminum at $500 while Ruger went in the middle, 13.5oz for $500. I hope this is another success story for them and they can produce them in the thousands, fast.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 45&30-30 View Post
    I know what ya mean, I love steel and wood, but for some reason I like this revolver. Opinions aside, Ruger probably did do something for the ounce counters. Smith's 12oz scandium at $1000+ or a 15 oz aluminum at $500 while Ruger went in the middle, 13.5oz for $500. I hope this is another success story for them and they can produce them in the thousands, fast.
    Ruger may have a 13.5 oz. for $500, but that's $500 of PLASTIC! At least the S&W is ALL aluminum.

If ounces are an issue, they can get a Kel Tec P3AT. At 8.3 oz. & all the plastic people could want, its hard to beat. Especially when you get 7 rounds & it runs about 300 bucks..
    Last edited by Kuato; 02-03-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    It i splug ugly, but no doubt effective. If I was going to buy a belly gun, I thinb k I'd go for an auto.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remebrance

Yeeeesh!!! Bill must be spinning in his grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Yeeeesh!!! Bill must be spinning in his grave.
    Just what I said in the other post about this revolver.

As far as price, I know the $525 is MSRP and the street price will be lower. But you can still probably get a Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite that weights only a few ounces more for $100 - $150 less.

I think Ruger is wasting its creativity going after the CCW market so heavily when they could build on their successes with much less time and money spent on "engineering" new plastic guns. How about a 5 - 6" barreled SP101 or Single Six in the "new" .327 mag? Or a 4" GP100 in 44 special (5 shot most likely)? How about a 3 - 4" SP101 in 9mm (didn't they make a short run of these once)? Lots of really cool things they could do with the revolvers they already make.

Banned

I guess you should judge a ccw gun on looks. Its should be judged on reliability and practicality. Personaly im a 1911 guy. I carried snubbys for years and they are effective ccw guns but they make 1911s now that are just about as consealable, at least enough for the way i carry them and they just pack more punch and hell i just like them more. I agree its an ugly gun and its nothing that will ever sit in my safe but it will probably sell like hotcakes. After all a good portion of the people that buy guns would buy a dog turd if it said ruger on it.

Boolit Master

After having quite a few Rugers in my lifetime I will not own one anymore. There quality control sucks on the revolvers you either get a good one or a mediocre one. As far as the 10/22s go they are a tinkerers dream but other 22's are a lot more accurate out of the box.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Yup! .......It's butt-ugly! ...........And I am still getting used to aluminum; ......so in my mind, the only place for plastic is in composit stocks and grips!

I guess that makes me an old, purist "crank"! (LOL)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
    Now fellas, before yall jump at my throat, this is just MY opinion. I happen to be a puritan when it comes to guns & don't particularly like plastic. I happen to work wood & enjoy the uniqueness of wood stocks for example. I can appreciate the use of "polymers" for certain reasons. But why, oh WHY, would they want to make a polymer revolver? I realize the frame is aluminum & the fire control assembly is housed in plastic. But in a j frame size gun, would the plastic really make THAT big a weight difference over aluminum? I don't think so . I'm not even going to mention the MSRP on this horrendous looking thing. Oh, & be sure to check out all the shnazzy words they use to describe it.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCR/index.html
    Puritan, or purist?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I never liked Colt DA revolvers, so I just never bought one, and do not even look at them. Ruger is free to make whatever they want. They seem to have their eye on the CCW market, and a lightweight +p 38 falls right into that market. At least they did not blatantly copy another companies product like they did with the Ruger LCP.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, but I carried a S and W Airlight as a SECOND gun for years. For a SECOND gun you want reliable and light! This is a gun that you have in addition to 15 pounds of gear strapped to the belt and it will be used as a last resort. You will fire it once a year for qual. and the rest of the time it rides in the pocket. For something that you hope you will never use but need for added insurance light makes sense. All that said i still have my Airlight and will continue to use it if necessary, if I were starting out and were looking for a backup I would give the Ruger a look at least.

Boolit Grand Master
    What with the Ruger LCR and the new S&W J-frame in 327 Federal with Krylon Barbecue Pit paint job--I'm hearing laughter from inside my gun safe. And, NO--there are no new added medications recently.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    I think its great!! As backup gun not a primary carry. The lighter the better.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Puritan, or purist?
    How bout a purist puritan???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    What with the Ruger LCR and the new S&W J-frame in 327 Federal with Krylon Barbecue Pit paint job--I'm hearing laughter from inside my gun safe. And, NO--there are no new added medications recently.
    Humm, maybe there needs to be a new addition?? I agree, I don't like them at all, but can see the bow to utility. I carry a Colt Agent and don't need anything lighter.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Just my Old School belief systems causing trouble (again). I see no reason why "utilitarian" necessarily excludes aesthetics. Wayne's Agent and KCSO's Airweight speak to that eloquently.

Ah, what do I know--Glocks are ugly as a mud fence, but they work very well. I'll just saunter back to my cave for a nice ground sloth T-bone.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I guess I'm a caveman too. I just spotted a " REX " on the ridge and my.41 mag N frame don't feel so heavy right now. So, 9.3x62AL, if yur back at the cave by now, thro sum wood on the fire. Me and the rest of the boy will drag a big ol steak supper in thar shortly.