WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Question about Marlin 336 and cast bullets

Question about Marlin 336 and cast bullets

I’m thinking about getting a Marlin 336w lever gun. They just seem to be a good value. I’ve read here and other places that you need a larger diameter cast bullet in the micro groove barrels than in regular 30-30 barrels (.309-.311 maybe larger). Has anyone here used MBC Whitetail #1 and #2 bullets? https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=354&category=6&secondary=36 They are .311 diameter Brinell 18 bullets. I don’t cast (at least not yet) and I’ve been scouting possible reloading components before I buy a gun. Hunters Supply also has some .310 and .311 cast gas check bullets. Just wondering what brands/types of commercial cast bullets are out there for the Marlin 336?

Boolit Buddy
    Those should work. Missouri Bullets states they are for the Marlin 336. The only way to determine the exact size boolit your gun needs is to slug the barrel. Short description: this involves lubricating the bore, driving a soft lead slug through the bore, measure the slug with a micrometer (not a caliper). A larger diameter boolit, so long as the cartridge will chamber, is much better than a smaller boolit. Those .311 boolits described above should be fine.

Thanks. I’ve thought several times about buying a 30-30, but the fear of not being able to use cheap(er) cast bullets for plinking has held me off of the Marlin, and other brands cost twice as much. Now that I know I can actually find commercial cast bullets, I feel better about buying one.

Boolit Master
    Otherwise, find an older Marlin 30-30 with conventional rifling
    beltfed/arnie

Don’t know how the fallacy about microgroove not being able to shoot cast bullets accurately got started, but I have seen it proven wrong many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Don’t know how the fallacy about microgroove not being able to shoot cast bullets accurately got started, but I have seen it proven wrong many times.
    Ditto, I have never had a micro groove that didn't shoot cast well. Let me state that is with JM Marlins. Have no experience with Remlins. It does usually require boolit with larger diameter than jackets.

Those are HiTek coated and plain base. 16gr 2400 and they will do OK. 10gr Unique is better but slower. Pretty much limited to 1500 fps. If it's JM, 311 and shoot them. Don't know about the remlins but heard they are getting better. Early ones did have barrel problems.
    Whatever!

The difference between standard rifling and MG for cast is in its versatility. My Marlin cowboy that had "Ballard" rifling would shoot a soft cast bullet at about 2000 fps sized to 309. My old waffle top will also shoot them. Most MG rifles recommend an oversize bullet and possibly a harder one. I had a Marlin 95 45-70 MG that did not shoot well with cast, but I was trying the old formulas of 20-1 lead/tin and BP. Depending on what one wants to do with the cast bullets it may not matter much. I prefer the standard rifling for cast as they are less fussy. but if the formula is found those using MG seem to make them work. Also I had a couple of Winchester 94's that I should have kept that were not at all fussy with cast. I think possibly a heavier bullet might also work better in a MG. I used a Lee 303 bullet sized down that weighed 188 grains with my alloy and it shot very well. Got one deer at 140 steps from my tree with it.

A true cast bullet barrel has slightly deeper rifling than what is found today anyway. Marlin's Ballard rifling is not what was found in the Ballard's but as they bought them out they have the right to call it Ballard rifling.

DEP

I load for several .30-30 Marlins, both Micro Groove and Ballard style rifling. .311-.312 is the diameter that works for me. The 18 Brinell seems kind of hard to me; I would try for something softer. Don't go for the cat sneeze loads, put some 1900-2000 fps zip on the bullet and even the hard ones will work well.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I load 30-30 In Marlin MG all the time.
    They shoot great, best sizing is .311
    I shoot bullets by "The Cast Bullet Shop" Lyman 311041

50yds

Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	258697 my Westernfield 405 Jess made by Marlin!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	258698or my Marlin 30AS in 38-55 rebored by JES re boring they're all good!

Boolit Buddy

Oh they never shot anything but cast! Both have accounted for many head of game! I guess the 30-30 will do just as good! Never owned one yet!

When I sized to .311” it all came together for the micro groove 30-30 Marlin 36G. Accuracy improved markedly over the .309” I tried first. I use 50/50 cow and pb for all my casting.

All I have shot in mine is lead from a LGS at .309 but some .311 which may be better. I did go through a box of those from MB, but no coating.My load is a little above the 10gr. of Unique and some others. I have a later JM now with William sights. Love this rig for steel plates.

Boolit Buddy
    In all my Marlins and Winchesters, .311 has always shot best. Sometimes a .310 but I have never got a .309 to shoot well. The bigger question is the nose and OAL. some of my guns require a .299 nose to chamber if crimped in the crimp groove. My plain base shoot great up to about 1000/1100. After that it is gas checked.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

Microgrooved barrels work good with just a little harder alloys

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    When I sized to .311” it all came together for the micro groove 30-30 Marlin 36G. Accuracy improved markedly over the .309” I tried first. I use 50/50 cow and pb for all my casting.
    Same here! 50/50 air cooled works great in 30-30, 35 Rem., and 45-70 micro-groove Marlins sized .311 or .312

Banned
    Mine likes PC'd boolits