MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Well, today I received my package from Donnie with the original TruBlu that he tested.

There is a visible difference between the two, so I was hopeful.

I was very methodical and systematic in mixing up a half batch.

Got the oven going and coated 1.25 lb of bullets with 1/4 tsp of mix. Normal batch is 5 lb and 1 tsp.

Warmed them on top after air drying on the fan.

First coat maintained some blue color.

Second coat. Each row was a separate batch of 4.

For my setup, oven temp is PID controlled at 194C (381F). I started a 3 minute timer when internal bullet temp hit 180C (356F). This is borderline low and the bullets didn’t always pass wipe test.

Outdoor natural lighting

Indoor LED lighting. 9mm TC were 2 coats of what I bought from Donnie. Larger TC’s are today’s with Donnie’s original sample batch.

All in all, I can’t see much difference between the batch Donnie got in on Feb 6 and the original sample batch. The powder does have a different look, but appears to perform the same. I REALLY wanted the stuff I got today to be a rich deep blue, but since the base polymer darkens when curing, blue is difficult. One last thing I’m going to do is send Donnie some of my coated bullets for judging. If a bluer bullet is possible, I’ll road trip to Louisiana to learn how to make it.

Thanks bunches to Donnie for sending me some of his original powder to test and compare and thanks to Joe and Trevor for all of their help and comments.

This Hi-Tek is some cool stuff and I’ll be adding more colors to my inventory for different bullets. If anyone has a trick for keeping the blue bluer, please pass them along so I can try your method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0DEDAFD7-C1FC-480F-9511-1C1AB50CB049.jpg  
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 03-03-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Is it just me, or do people that do not use the metric system, have hardons for teaspoons and all other weird units of measure??
    FFS...people.....How can you get repeatable results when measuring 1/4 teaspoons??????
    10ml Syringes are cheap and readily available. They offer repeatable measures...
    How about getting with the program???????
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Is it just me, or do people that do not use the metric system, have hardons for teaspoons and all other weird units of measure??
    FFS...people.....How can you get repeatable results when measuring 1/4 teaspoons??????
    10ml Syringes are cheap and readily available. They offer repeatable measures...
    I’ll get a proper syringe and retest.
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 02-23-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    My day job is Quality Control manager of a large Hardwood Flooring Manufacturer.
    Machining tolerances, Moisture content tolerances, etc etc etc.
    repeatability is my bag.
    Call me OCD, but teaspoons and accuracy don't go together.
    You are trying to get results that have been produced by others, in various parts of the world.
    Surely you would want to use a standard unit of measure that is universal world wide?
    But....if you like spoons....be my guest.... go your hardest.
    I'm down and on the side....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Talk to Petander. He is in Finland and could point you in the right direction.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

I became curious about Teaspoons,
    I went to our drawer with cutlery. There was about 40 teaspoons in tray.
    I took them out and examined them
    Out of the range we had, I found 6 teaspoons with different sizes and different shapes and capacity.
    Rough measurements were starting with smallest spoon holding about 2.5 mls, the next was 3.0 mls, the next was 3.5 mls, then 4.0 mls, next was 4.5 mls, and the largest was 4.6mls capacity. I share your concerns about volumes used to measure, as each spoon will measure different liquid volume. Unless user calibrates their own spoon, who knows what volume is being used/measured out with coating mixture. If what ever is used and is calibrated may work, if user is careful with using same volumes each time. I would find it almost impossible to measure 1/4 teaspoon lots. Variability would be quite a range and challenge and may produce quite a range with final finishes.
    With syringes, for people making small batches, I would suggest a 1ml syringe as a measure device.
    I saw a commercial caster use a household liquid measure that held 30 mls. He dipped this measure into coating mixture, and used same measure to stir up the brew. Then he poured the 30 mls onto about 1000 projectiles. It worked just fine and was reproducible.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I became curious about Teaspoons,
    I went to our drawer with cutlery. There was about 40 teaspoons in tray.
    I took them out and examined them
    Out of the range we had, I found 6 teaspoons with different sizes and different shapes and capacity.
    Rough measurements were starting with smallest spoon holding about 2.5 mls, the next was 3.0 mls, the next was 3.5 mls, then 4.0 mls, next was 4.5 mls, and the largest was 4.6mls capacity. I share your concerns about volumes used to measure, as each spoon will measure different liquid volume. Unless user calibrates their own spoon, who knows what volume is being used/measured out with coating mixture. If what ever is used and is calibrated may work, if user is careful with using same volumes each time. I would find it almost impossible to measure 1/4 teaspoon lots. Variability would be quite a range and challenge and may produce quite a range with final finishes.
    With syringes, for people making small batches, I would suggest a 1ml syringe as a measure device.
    I saw a commercial caster use a household liquid measure that held 30 mls. He dipped this measure into coating mixture, and used same measure to stir up the brew. Then he poured the 30 mls onto about 1000 projectiles. It worked just fine and was reproducible.
    Now I understand!!! When you chaps down under hear us yanks say teaspoon, you think of those oblong things in your kitchen drawer that you actually use to stir your tea. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In imperial measure, teaspoon and tablespoon are legit units of measure. Here is a set of measuring spoons, with 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp and 1 tbs. A tablespoon is 3 teaspoons and is just perfect for 15 pounds of bullets should you want to shake 15 lbs at a time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A1792D1-CF45-4C29-A516-472830892800.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	257392

An actual teaspoon holds about 4.9 ml, so a true 1/4 tsp, the one I used, has a tad under 1.25 ml, or if we’re talking water, 1.25 gm. I just tested my 1/4 tsp and weighed it on my powder scale and got between 1.22 and 1.26 gm of water, or 1.22 to 1.26 ml of volume.

Boolit Master
    I had in my head a regular tea spoon, not a REAL tea spoon used for baking, those are the same world wide, so those results are repeatable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I had in my head a regular tea spoon, not a REAL tea spoon used for baking, those are the same world wide, so those results are repeatable.
    We really do need a “thumbs up” option here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    We really do need a “thumbs up” option here.
    So true, some posts i see and think yep, good advise, but no way to state that other than a quote with a reply.

Boolit Master
    There are sure some differences in communication sometimes. Some things we have access to here in the U.S. is not available in Australia. RydForLyf, can you tell me how you post photos? I have been trying without success for a while now. I have a camera that has the sbd card in in it. I take the card and put it in a card reader that plugs into the computer. I follow the directions but always get a pop up saying the upload failed. Any ideas? Somehow the other night I managed to send a photo by e mail to Donnie and he posted it for me.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    There are sure some differences in communication sometimes. Some things we have access to here in the U.S. is not available in Australia. RydForLyf, can you tell me how you post photos? I have been trying without success for a while now. I have a camera that has the sbd card in in it. I take the card and put it in a card reader that plugs into the computer. I follow the directions but always get a pop up saying the upload failed. Any ideas? Somehow the other night I managed to send a photo by e mail to Donnie and he posted it for me.
    I think your issue might be due to the file being too big? if they are too large, the site says na uh! email isn't as fussy with file sizes.

Yeah, you guys get all the fun stuff, i'd live to play with an AR, but not allowed to have them. We can jump through lots of hoops IF we are a primary producer with a pest problem. So you need a farm, a LARGE farm being over run with pigs or kangaroos then they might, just might allow you to buy one, it must only be used at that property too.

Boolit Master
    I am afraid we may be heading the same way as you guys. I have never seen a bigger collection of idiot politicans in my life. I really don't know where they come from!!!!!!! I have no idea how to reduce the size on photos. I'll keep trying.

Boolit Master
    I guess it's good for me, i never got to shoot a semi-auto rifle, so i can't miss it. I got into shooting after the semi-auto rifle bans came into play, pretty much 20+ years on, people are still bitter about it.

I was into pistol shooting when the hand gun bans came in, not banned, but restricted. No more high cap mags, anything over .38 or 9mm was big and scary. I handed in my 8 month old .45 and bought a .38 super ipsc gun, it shot flatter, was more accurate, i'd feel more lethal, yet totally legal. A .45 was slow moving, but made slightly bigger holes, the public is safer now.

Hopefully they can't take them away from you, i'm all for registration, keep tabs on them, but don't take them away when they are in law abiding hands. You will never have criminals abiding by the laws, so what's the point?

Boolit Master
    I'm still Bitter.
    Colt AR-15 HBAR
    SLR
    Valmet M76
    Remy 870
    Stainless Mini14.
    I will be bitter til the day I die.

May Jackboort Johhny die in a fire and nobody around to hose him down.

I use imgur to host my pictures. there is no file size limit.
    imgur is easy to use.

Rydforlyf...Why didn't you say measuring spoons??????
    Bloody teaspoons are for stirring bloody tea.

You northern hemisphere types really need to learn the lingo.

A poofteenth is a micky whisker short of a nat's pube.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I just set up an account on imgur. I'll give it a go.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=RydForLyf;4835837]Now I understand!!! When you chaps down under hear us yanks say teaspoon, you think of those oblong things in your kitchen drawer that you actually use to stir your tea. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You are correct, it is simply a difference with description of an item.
    Here, these spoons you show, are called "Measuring Spoons" not teaspoons. That is where confusion had occurred.
    I my reference to a commercial caster using such measure he actually used (30mls) such a measuring spoon, (looks like a small egg cup with a handle) which was attached to a piece of wooden dowel. Worked quite well.

Boolit Master
    I still curse little Johnny, he is and always will be a turd in my book. I'm not into shooting as much as i should be, i do love pistol shooting, but never gotten into rifles. The only long arms i have is a 22lr and a .177/.22 beeman air gun.

One day i may actually grow up and get a big boy gun or two.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Slide, I’m posting on an iPad, so it’s most likely different than a laptop or desktop. Sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    Rydforlyf...Why didn't you say measuring spoons??????
    Bloody teaspoons are for stirring bloody tea.

You northern hemisphere types really need to learn the lingo.

A poofteenth is a micky whisker short of a nat's pube.
    We got the lingo. A BCH is thicker than a RCH. Blonde is the thinnest.

I could have said measuring spoons, but I was just telling you how much, a 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml), not how I was measuring it.