Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon XL750 - design flaw or just unaware?

Boolit Bub

Dillon XL750 - design flaw or just unaware?

So, the Dillon XL750 is touted as, "a high-speed progressive reloading machine designed to load common rifle and handgun cartridges, from 17 Hornet though the common belted magnum cartridges in rifle, and 32 ACP through 500 S&W in ..."

But, you can NOT put a Mr. Bullet Feeder on it. What the Heck was Dillon thinking, OR Not thinking?

The current design of the new XL750 does not allow the bullet dropper to be positioned in station #4 of the tool head because of the angle at which the powder Dispenser bar extends directly towards it. This means the bullet dropper MUST be positioned immediately after the powder dropper, in station #3. That makes it impossible to use a Powder-Check AND a bullet dropper at the same time.

We will attempt to come up with a solution to allow the powder dropper to be rotated to another angle to resolve this issue, but at the moment, be aware of this issue.

Boolit Bub
    Is the 750 different than the 650 in that regard? I know of guys who have the Mr Bulletfeeders on their 650s.....

Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    Might want to call Dillon and get their opinion.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mr-bulletfeeder

Mr. Bulletfeeder by Double-Alpha - Pistol and Rifle Calibers
    (58)
    Manufacturers: Double-Alpha Academy
    Description
    Reviews
    FAQ

Please note:

The current design of the new XL750 does not allow the bullet dropper to be positioned in station #4 of the toolhead because of the angle at which the powder Dispenser bar extends directly towards it. This means the bullet dropper MUST be positioned immediately after the powder dropper, in station #3. That makes it impossible to use a Powder-Check AND a bullet dropper at the same time.

We will attempt to come up with a solution to allow the powder dropper to be rotated to another angle to resolve this issue, but at the moment, be aware of this issue.

DAA has been the proud European distributor of Mr. Bullet Feeder since 2006. It makes one wonder how they ever reloaded without one... Those who reload a lot, quickly appreciate the efficiency and reliability of this ingenious Patented system.

However, Mr. Bullet Feeder was always been a little “rough” in its appearance and finish. It was made from existing materials and parts, and as such never had the sleek professional look and feel of a refined “production” article. Additionally since the bullet feeders have always been hand made, in moderate quantities, production costs have been high, resulting in demand, which always exceeded availability.

Now, all this has changed! DAA proudly introduced the DAA Mr. Bullet Feeder in 2012. DAA and Rak Systems teamed up in retooling and redesigning the Mr. Bullet Feeder, with fantastic results. The Mr. Bullet Feeder by DAA, manufactured by Double-Alpha Academy under license by Rak Systems, is a professional, hi-tech version of the original. It is lighter in weight and more compact than the previous models. This new streamlined product is easier to install and set up, while retaining the same flawless performance and efficiency of the original design.

In fact, an entirely new US Patent Pending dropper system allows this new model to function even better and longer than before. The new dropper design eliminates the need for any spring or small plastic parts in the dropper head, and allows it to function entirely by gravity and an ingenious geometric design.

Finally to top it all off - DAA offers the DAA Mr. Bullet Feeder at a far more affordable price!

If you have never tried a bullet feeder on your progressive reloader – don’t wait any longer! It will cut the time and effort involved in reloading practically in half! A must-have item for any serious shooter.

The new Mr. Bullet Feederby DAA is available in 9/38, 40SW/10 mm, .45, and in rifle calibers .223, .308, and 6.5x55mm. (See rifle calibers under other listing).

Click here for user instructions for this and other products.

Boolit Master
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/mr-b...50_32_4237.htm

Mr. Bullet Feeder does not work properly on XL750?
    September 23rd, 2019 at 5:32pm
    There is nowhere on this site to e-mail pictures, post pictures, nothing.
    I sent issue over form to Dillon yesterday.

When you put Mr. Bullet Feeder die, that Dillon sold me, along with the XL750, Dillon made ZERO mention, that you CANNOT run a powder check when using the Mr. Bullet Feeder. So I had to return my powder check. useless.

This is plain to see, if I could post the pics, why this is. The Mr. Bullet feeder DIE TOTALLY BLOCKS the powder bar from actuating, so you can't load anything. Pull the level, the bar slams into the die, end of story, stop, game over.

SOOO, to fix this, you have to move the Mr. Bullet Feeder die to *** 3. Thus, you cannot run a powder check system, because that would have had to go in *** 3.
    You design the XL750 to replace the 650, as its a high volume reloading that supposed to be better. But you cannot run a Mr. bullet feeder AND a powder check, so there is no way to check safety on charge in your high speed reloading operation.

I bought this thing so I could do that. Now I can't do that and I have to go back to eyeballing every single powder charge?

This is a BASIC Accessory many many people add, that works PERFECT on a 650 but NOT on a 750? How come Dillon did not test this? Nobody even thought to put the mr. Bullet feeder die in *** 4 with a powder check before this thing was signed off into mass production?

So Dillon. When you going to make this thing obsolete and come out with a XL750B to replace mine, so i can actually run a powder check system, as the system was designed? I want something that works for my over $2k spent on something.

Also, I would like a brand new Mr. Bullet die tube, 9MM, mailed to me, as before I understood this didn't work, I scratched to hell my brand new tube. I didn't understand why so the opposite of smooth when I pulled the level. 4 pulls later, I figured it out because I am slow. A clue would have been the banging noise. Maybe next customer will learn after 1 pull. and only 1 dent or scratch.

Please test for yourself, then please, place a WARNING on your site, letting people know you cant run feeder in *** 4, you HAVE to run in *** 3, without a powder check system....

Why? Because you angled the powder bar to point nearly directly at the Mr. Bullet feeder die. Not an issue on normal dies, they sit way lower..of course.
    laakuma
    laakuma
    4 posts
    Joined August 2019
    RE: Mr. Bullet Feeder does not work properly on XL750?
    September 26th, 2019 at 7:32pm
    Several queries now into Dillon.

They just act arrogant, know it all, do not address issue, and then ignore you.

Customer service 0/10.

Nice way to treat your Military Veterans guys. Great job.
    dillon
    Administrator
    dillon
    3,142 posts
    Joined July 2007
    September 30th, 2019 at 9:36am
    “We here at Dillon understand the issue concerning the simultaneous use of the bullet feeder and the powder check die. We are working to provide a simple fix that will eliminate this problem.”
    natergatordmd
    natergatordmd
    1 post
    Joined October 2019
    October 5th, 2019 at 9:56am
    My complaint is that I specifically emailed Dillon prior to purchasing the new 750 and detailed my setup intentions and asked if the mr bullet feeder, with a powder check and dual set and crimp die. I received a response that yes, this setup would be perfectly fine.
    Dillon was of course happy to then sell me the 750, the bullet feeder, and all the goodies. Definitely disappointing.
    That said, Dillon hasn’t greeted my complaint with arrogance. I’m told they’re aware and working on it. Hope they figure it out soon.
    hogman22@msn.com
    hogman22@msn.com
    1 post
    Joined June 2012
    January 25th, 2020 at 10:00am
    For what it’s worth, I solved this problem by going to a green powder measure (which I had) and a case fed drop assembly (which I also had) and it worked. The 750 loads .38 special and needed the green case expander which I got yesterday. Of course the green won’t use the powder measure alarm because the tube isn’t wide enough but I’ll figure that out soon. When Dillon figures out the solution (and they will), I’ll get the upgrades but for now I’m up and running and loving my Dillon’s.

It’s not Dillon’s problem to configure their machines to work with after market equipment.

Get a 650 that the equipment was designed for or wait for them to find a way to adapt their product to the machines they sell them for.

FWIW the original Dillon powder measure linkage didn’t have fail safe rods, so it could be used in any direction, as can the Hornady and RCBS measures.

Boolit Bub
    The Dillon powder measure seems much more consistent. I can’t trust my “green” unit without checking each load against a Powder scale. Slows down the process. I have it mounted on a solid bench in an RCBS mount.

When using a single stage press, the green powder measure is a great help, but I would be cautious when using it on a progressive press.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

You might try and find one of the old GSI feeders for a 650. They let you powder check in 3, seat in #4 and crimp in #5 and have the bullet column far enough left, the powder measure can’t contact it.

I am not familiar with the 750 or the aftermarket bullet feeder, but I will say that something I did with my 650’s might work for the problem.

I will not say it is a good idea, or that you should try it, but what I did was get rid of the powder safety system rod that resets the powder dispenser after each pull of the handle. I installed the spring found on older Dillon powder dispensers, then removed the safety rod and replaced it with a small bolt, nut and washer on the powder dispenser levers to lock them together in such a way that the dispenser works like the original Dillon Dispenser from many years ago. It drops powder when a case pushes it up, and the spring pulls the powder bar back into place as the press handle is brought back up. This allows me to position the dispenser at any angle desired atop of the tool head and smooths out the press. Of course, the mod does make it possible to not notice problems with the powder drop; it could jam producing SQUIB LOADS, or double charge if you do not watch it. I try to use powders that over fill on a double charge, and I watch the powder bar movement as I make bullets.

On the other had, If you leave the Dillon Design as it comes with the current powder safety system, why would you need a powder check die? Is the concern that you will not notice it being out of powder, or that some foreign object has gotten into the dispenser and clogged it? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I am not familiar with the 750 or the aftermarket bullet feeder, but I will say that something I did with my 650’s might work for the problem.

I will not say it is a good idea, or that you should try it, but what I did was get rid of the powder safety system rod that resets the powder dispenser after each pull of the handle. I installed the spring found on older Dillon powder dispensers, then removed the safety rod and replaced it with a small bolt, nut and washer on the powder dispenser levers to lock them together in such a way that the dispenser works like the original Dillon Dispenser from many years ago. It drops powder when a case pushes it up, and the spring pulls the powder bar back into place as the press handle is brought back up. This allows me to position the dispenser at any angle desired atop of the tool head and smooths out the press. Of course, the mod does make it possible to not notice problems with the powder drop; it could jam producing SQUIB LOADS, or double charge if you do not watch it. I try to use powders that over fill on a double charge, and I watch the powder bar movement as I make bullets.

On the other had, If you leave the Dillon Design as it comes with the current powder safety system, why would you need a powder check die? Is the concern that you will not notice it being out of powder, or that some foreign object has gotten into the dispenser and clogged it? Just wondering.
    I don't use the rod on my 1050, just the return springs. Do use a powder check though.