RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redhawk 45 Colt/ACP

Banned

learn something new every day. How did they combine the centerfire jet with a rimfire lr?
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Yep, they did. You could get a model 48 with an aux cylinder for 22 LR of a model 53 Jet, both K frames, with the same aux cylinder. They were an option and took quite a bit of time to fit to the gun so S&W discontinued offering them as an option. I have never seen an N frame with an aux cylinder either. Today they bring quite a premium with the gun they were fitted to as you can imagine.

There is a "switch" on the hammer and it will strike either of the 2 firing pins, 1 center fire and 1 rim fire. The 22 jet was a neat idea but the chambers had to be super clean and oil free or the cases would back up against the recoil shield and tie up the gun at times. To shoot the 22 lr ammo, there were inserts that mimicked the 22 jet and the lr cartridges fit inside them. It was a pretty expensive gun to manufacture that gave problems so S&W cashiered it. The run of 53's was from 1961 till 1974, I believe. They tried a few guns with the hornet and .224 K-Chuck wildcat but the backing up problems were present with them also. The jet I shot was loud and I mean LOUD! It had quite a blast and I remember asking myself how does all that come from a .223 hole!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Well I have one and it's a pile.
    First thing was that it had been dropped and they couldn't bother to polish out the dent and machining marks on the barrel.
    Then it spit lead all over the place.
    Sent it back for that.
    Now, it's pretty much a 45 colt.
    Acp will not fire consistently with either factory or after market clips.
    And I couldn't hit crap with acp in it when it did.
    So it's pretty much a 45 colt affair.
    Except that my 200 grain cast bullet loads 452, lead.
    I also took a Pietta made model P colt replica out the same day.
    There was no leading with it nor the same load in a c&b conversion 1858.

Had one of the weirdest squib with 45acp. The bullet was in the barrel, the primer fired, but the powder charge didn't ignite. Now it maybe that load isn't the best I've ever fationed, fact is it won't feed in a few of my 45pistols. Fn 200 gr plated.

I think I need to determine if I need a larger dia bullet.
    Funny a guy would expect some wonky barrel dimensions with the Pietta or even the Pietta 1858 but the same exact load didn't lead those up.