WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading the 5.7x28

Talking Reloading the 5.7x28

I am thinking of reloading the 5.7x28 round and am having a problem finding any info. If anyone is reloading this cartridge please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    If I remember correctly, the Lyman #49 manual has reloading data for this cartridge in it. Cute little round it is to.

Checked it last night and it does, its in the pistol section and has data for jacketed 35 gr., 40 gr. and 45 gr. bullets.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 01-27-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks .45 I will check it out.

Moderator Emeritus

Accurate Arms latest freebie download has loads for the 5.7 in it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

this round should be an ideal replacementfor the 22 hornetwould like to see someone come out in a bolt gun be blast to play with

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    The neck is too short for boolits. If it cant shoot boolits it wont never replace the hornet. Long live the hornet!
    BIC/BS

Quote Originally Posted by testhop View Post
    this round should be an ideal replacementfor the 22 hornetwould like to see someone come out in a bolt gun be blast to play with
    A bolt action that takes the 50 Round magazines...or just the pistol magazines
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I would like to see it in a Savage 40, single shot bolt action.

There is a company making an AR-15 upper for it that uses the 50 round mags from the FNH P90, it ejects spent cases out the lowers magwell. You could take the guts out of a 30 round 5.56 mag and have a brass catcher. That sure would be a fun P-dog shooter.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 01-27-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned
    I think it would be ideal to neck down to .17 myself.
    Put well above the 17 rimfire stats, and well below the 4,000 17 remington.
    Plus cheaper to reload than to buy 17 rimfire.
    Just a stray thought.

In fact, I think I saw some load data somewhere for a 17x28, now that I think back on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I would like to see it in a Savage 40, single shot bolt action.

There is a company making an AR-15 upper for it that uses the 50 round mags from the FNH P90, it ejects spent cases out the lowers magwell. You could take the guts out of a 30 round 5.56 mag and have a brass catcher. That sure would be a fun P-dog shooter.
    I have seen those uppers...they don't look half bad, A friend and I had the idea for those when we saw the P90 come out..too bad we didn't patent it .... I do like the idea of the brass catcher!
    My firearms project blog

Try the Guns & Ammo website, I had one of their magazines with load data, can't find it right now to tell you what month it was, or remember enough of the article to tell you what powders. Ha, found the durned thing, June 2008. Interestingly they built a rifle and tested it in both rifle and pistol actions. PM me and I'll scan the article and send it to you. Velocites ran from 300-650fps faster in the 22 inch barrel. HS-6, Win 231, Ramshot True Blue, Hodgon Lil Gun and Alliant Power pistol were some of the powders used. I tried to get IMI to see the sense of a 22/357 for the Desert Eagle when this body armor defeating cartridge first came out, must've been over their heads.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 02-08-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added info

I came across this post while late night surfing looking for holes in the bottom of Shiner Bock bottles.

Short intro,
    My name is Jay Wolf and I am president of Elite Ammunition.

We are the only source for 5.7x28 ammunition other then FN. We also have a line of reloading products for the 5.7x28 that you cannot find anywhere else.

As part of our support for the 5.7x28 we will be bringing to market a CD based loading manual. Besides data it will provide short vids on how to setup your Dillon press with our custom shellplate and how to process the brass including trimming.

I can provide a link to a forum dedicated to the 5.7x28 and a link to our website with moderator/forum owner approval.

Banned
    Be wary of the 5.7x28.

The 5.7 uses a barrel with a groove of 0.2218". The 5.56 uses a barrel with a groove of 0.224". So, if you load bullets of 224" dia into a 224 barrel, you are ok. If you use them in a .2218, then it is a tight squeeze. The 5.7 bullet is gonna rattle down a 224 barrel.

This come from my personal friend that runs the Atlanta Lothar Walther factory.

You could have a pressure problem using FN's firearms for this round if you reload the fatter .224 bullets. Dang thing sounds like the old smaller bore 22 Hornet. Might be better to load the .223 bullets if you have a FN firearm.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Yum, love me some Shiner Bock.

What projectile does the 5.7 shoot?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by panzermk2 View Post
    I can provide a link to a forum dedicated to the 5.7x28 and a link to our website with moderator/forum owner approval.
    Thank you, I would appreciate it Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Be wary of the 5.7x28.

The 5.7 uses a barrel with a groove of 0.2218". The 5.56 uses a barrel with a groove of 0.224". So, if you load bullets of 224" dia into a 224 barrel, you are ok. If you use them in a .2218, then it is a tight squeeze. The 5.7 bullet is gonna rattle down a 224 barrel.

This come from my personal friend that runs the Atlanta Lothar Walther factory.

You could have a pressure problem using FN's firearms for this round if you reload the fatter .224 bullets. Dang thing sounds like the old smaller bore 22 Hornet. Might be better to load the .223 bullets if you have a FN firearm.

Joe
    Everything I've checked says it uses the .224" bullet......
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/5...ate%20only.pdf So perhaps the .2218" dimension isn't for groove diameter but lands? but even that seems off.
    My firearms project blog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Everything I've checked says it uses the .224" bullet......
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/5...ate%20only.pdf So perhaps the .2218" dimension isn't for groove diameter but lands? but even that seems off.
    Have you talked to FN? Have you pulled down FN ammo and miked the bullet?

I don't own either, but will talk to my LW friend and see what else he has to add.

Just for thought many have reloaded for their small bore original 22 Hornets with the fatter .224 bullets. I would think an adjustment in powder charge was made.

Joe

Banned
    Okay...here's what I got. The groove diameter is 5.62mm which is .221259843 inch, the bore diameter is 5.53mm which is .217716535, the land width is 1.63mm which is .0641732283. The rifling twist is 228.6mm which is 1 in 9. FN claims they load it with a 5.69 bullet which is .224.

Joe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    The neck is too short for boolits. If it cant shoot boolits it wont never replace the hornet. Long live the hornet!
    BIC/BS
    From a hornet fan,,,,,,,,,,,,AMEN, bullshop!!!!!!!!!

In Remembrance

The only brass we have is Berden primed steel cases and even the .223 jacketed for the old Hornet appears too large. We just shoot with the military ammo. I really haven't shot it yet, but my son has fired it a lot. He recently acquired a 2000 round tin of ammo.
    Check that. What we have is a 5.45X39. Different critter.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 05-06-2009 at 07:01 AM.