Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    My single seven seems to shoot just fine with long bullets crimped over the front shoulder if the bullet is to long to use the crimp groove you just need to work up the load for the shorter OAL.
    Not as pretty but shoot just fine.
    That is true, you can work up loads for deep seated bullets. I hate it because then I either have to load different ammo for the single seven, or shoot every gun with deep seated bullets. The OAL limit is not a big deal with the light 100 and 115 grain bullets. It's when you get to the 125 grain and heavier it becomes a problem. I've been trying to get a good load for a 148 grain bullet seated to 1.490" OAL, but it's not that great. In the crimp groove I was easily able to shoot 10.5 grains H110 safely, and it was accurate. Deep seated I'm seeing pressure signs at 9 grains, and they are not shooting great. Bluedot is working better, but I'm loosing a lot of velocity. I'm seeing about 1100 fps with 6.2 grains of bluedot deep seated, verses 1310 with 10.5 grains H110 crimped in the groove.

The best tool I made was to take a 32-20 Lee collet FCD (rifle style) and shorten it in a lathe to work with 327. This allows me to make my own crimp grooves.

Boolit Master
    1310 FPS with a 148 is cookin that's impressive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like we’re off to the races with yet another thread on the joys of the 327! S&W, are you listening? (Probably not!)

I would be curious about the demographics of participants in this and similar 327-themed threads. I’m going to guess the average age to be somewhere in their mid sixties and financial status well established enough to have some disposable income. Others are probably going to be dreaming about them, but not as likely to make the commitment to buy. Some variance, of course, but that would be average.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Demographics.......I ain't no demographic, I'm a Montanan!!!

I have a SP101 with the 4" on order with my gunsmith. he said the one he normal get his guns from is on back order. He is looking some of his other suppliers for to see he can find what I want. I have the BH in the 327 and hand the same gunsmith make the Handi Rifle in 327 for me. at 50 yards on a rest I get 3/4" groups with the 115 gr mold I got. it shoot the same ammo I load for in my BH. Will see how the SP 101 will shoot with the same ammo.After I get it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I don't try and make my 327 into a 30-30! I shoot 98 gr cast mostly, and love the Sierra 90 gr hp, I'm looking at a 30US carbine you wear on your hip. I keep the Black Hawk for the novelty, but think the Single Seven Bisley, and the J frame S&W are the cats pajamas! Now if S&W would make a K frame 7 shooter with a 4 inch tube I'd be all over that!

Boolit Buddy
    Another great bullet for both the 32H&R and 327 is the Accurate 31-105C. The nose is just the right length for the Single 7 with 327 brass. I use this bullet for moderate loads, 900-1100 fps. Above 1100 fps, I use a GC bullet, primarily Miha's 100HPGC and 115HPGC. I do have the new MP 327 Single Seven Mjolnir mold but have not shot any yet.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Another good bullet that shoots real good in my 32hrm and my 327’s is the noe 314-319 this comes in at 119gns and is short enough for the 327’s in 327 brass
    Edit: in noe’s catalog I think this is called 314-316

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^ @ Thundarstick, Me too. Though My brother states that there are some GP 100's out now. I have seen one, but never held one. I suspect they are heavy.
    BTW Green Frog, I just want you to know I resemble that remark.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

LOADS OF GREAT INFORMATION GUYS!!

Thank you!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    ^^^^ @ Thundarstick, Me too. Though My brother states that there are some GP 100's out now. I have seen one, but never held one. I suspect they are heavy.
    Ruger makes 3 variations of the GP100 in 327 federal. I own the 5" Lipsey's special, it weighs 39 ounces... almost identical to the 5.5" single seven. You get 7 shots and a full length cylinder too.

My 5” half lug 327 gp100 is easily my favorite 32.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    It looks like they made another run of GP 100's in 6 inch as well as 4.2", for several years they were unavailable, I'm guessing it's a "get-em-while they're-hot" deal. That half lug Lipsey's model tickles my fancy. Lipsey's, Ruger, and Federal are conspiring to obtain my kids inheritance--or I should say, they are conspiring to make sure my kids inherit a bunch of Ruger .327's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

My 5” half lug came from the factory with a .003 b/c gap uniform throats at .314 tight chambers and a nice short smooth forcing cone. It is one of my better factory rugers. I was thinking about getting a 4.2” ss model, but I just couldn’t justify another one. If someone could think of a reason for me to need one, I would be greatly appreciative.

The only thing about the 5” half lug gp100’s is the wood grips have a little back and forth movement. I also have a 357 half lug, and the grips do the same thing. I temporarily placed a shim in between the grip stub and the grips and that helped, but I need to make a more permanent epoxy fix.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Which remark? The one about demographics? How about if we add in republgraphics to balance things out? Or was it talking down the significance of that extra 10 ounces of the Blackhawk being
    all that important?

That’s OK, please know that I still respect you, sir.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

There is a GP100 .327 for sale on the Ruger forum. the seller has posted targets shot out to 100 yards. No dog in the fight just passing it along.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    i am hoping they bring back the black hawk 327 with some long barrel options

Boolit Master
    I wish there were some way to get Ruger/Lipseys to make a 4 5/8" Blackhawk - maybe a flattop - .327 with a spare cylinder in .32-20.
    That's the only way I can see myself getting into the .327.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    I wish there were some way to get Ruger/Lipseys to make a 4 5/8" Blackhawk - maybe a flattop - .327 with a spare cylinder in .32-20.
    That's the only way I can see myself getting into the .327.
    They had a limited run of blackhawks with a .32-20 cylinder and a .32hrm cylinder. I think they were called the buckeye special.