WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: electronic scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    This Spring I got the new MTM offering ($39.95 MSRP) and it is in my range box now every time it goes out. I'm sold!

Froggie
    +1 on the MTM unit. I imagine it's not really made by MTM, but likely imported from China or somewhere else. I got one, and it's the 2nd electronic unit I've had. Perfect for checking what my measure throws. Also perfect for weighing boolits and other such things.

Boolit Master

Ive got the rcbs 750 scale. My old 10-10 rcbs scale is used just to check the 750, for now on! Woudnt want to ever go back to the balance beam.

I own an lyman electroinc powder dispenser and scale and just use the 505 rcbs to check the loads it throws every once in a while. Don't ever think I'll ever go back to the beam scale uless we all go in the dark.

Boolit Bub
    I just recently purchased the new MTM electronic scale DS-1250......Under$40. Great price and very accurrate......my old RCBS 505 magnetic dampened scale, purchased about 30 yrs ago is still working and tested it against the MTM and both are right on. The plus side of using the new digital is speed and ease of use. My old RCBS scale is the micrometer adjustment on the tenths scale.....mucho better than the newer ones using the little sliding piece of metal. I still use both, but, prefer the new digital because it is not effected as much by air current...ie, fan or bumping. I looked at the others and could not see paying three to five times as much, especially for a Dillion. I think if I was going to buy or pay one or two hundred dollars for a digital scale for reloading I would want one that weighs and dispenses the powder....umm not sure, but I think there is one like that...friend or mine mentioned using one and said was very nice and easy and accurate.....has memories too.... just push a button and it does it all for you.......but for simple measuring I really like my new MTM 1250.....grreat price. and you can take it just about anywhere with you. Measures in grains, grams, carats, and ounces. Checkout those diamonds....LOL.
    Stargzer
    USAF, MSgt Retired
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I use the little Frankford Arsenal scale, which I got from Midway for $29.99, I think (on sale). It works just fine - and is much less fiddly than most balance-type scales. The only drawback is battery replacement. I checked the precision and accuracy of the Frankford scale several times, after receiving it, using the included calibration weight and the beam-type scale I was using at the time. Every time, the electronic was within 0.1 grain - good enough for me. I have seen complaints about this scale and other electronic ones, but mine has been flawless, so far. I am pleased with it and I do not intend to return to the balance-type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by housedad View Post
    Hip's Ax -

Do you remember where you read that information on the reprogramming?

I'd like to read it as I got a 1500 combo for Xmas

Thanks
    Housedad, sorry I haven't been keeping close eyes on this thread. It appears that you have to get on the phone and get past the guy who answer the RCBS hot line and get to an engineer. Here's a cut and paste from the fellows post.

"The happy news is that the unit is programmable. In the process of getting some tech support from RCBS, myself and others starting writing down the parameters they had us adjust - they flat refused to email or send via any sort of printed/printable medium the same specs, or publish them on their website. Over a period of time, though, enough customers have 'collected' and shared that information, so you can usually find it on various reloading forums if you look hard enough (or ask nicely ). The basic parameters most people tweak are the slow down points for the various drive speeds - get it to slow down later, which speeds up the overall dispensing. You still have to let it slow down a ways before you get too close to the final weight, because the scale needs time to register the changes on the pan and settle out - otherwise you end up over-shooting. I've got it down to 20-30 seconds (still far slower than the number still listed in the test/review on that other site) and it over-throws by 0.1 occasionally (2-3 per 100) and maybe 0.2gr once in every 100-200rds. Thats easy enough to deal with - lift the pan, pinch off a few kernels and toss 'em in another pan sitting nearby, or back in the reservoir. "

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The electronic scales are good when working. My RCBS keep losing it's zero and going all over the place. RCBS tech helped one day and it started working for a while then broke again. Bought a 29.95 mdl that works great. Decided to send RCBS my scale for repair and was told when I called; send it to Pact, they make them for us. You just never know in todays world. Use the cheap scale for setting BP measures but break out the Ohaus 1010 for serious loads. You have to turn off all fans also but this is true with all scales.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by housedad View Post
    Hip's Ax -

Do you remember where you read that information on the reprogramming?

I'd like to read it as I got a 1500 combo for Xmas

Thanks

Here you go, the original web post that the author uses for reference. Careful!

http://www.sahuntingrifle.co.za/inde...catid=8&id=336

Boolit Mold

I to had decided that I needed a new electronic scale and after much research decided to get the RCBS 750 when I finally did use it I destroyed a brand new never been fired vintage S&W 38 (stupid on my part for using it I know) luckily I was not injured. I spent the next few days trying to figure out what happened and found that the scale would jump around as much as a grain between charges sometimes (1 grain is alot on a 3gr charge) I took it back for a refund I know I probably just got a lemon because everything that I read on the 750 everyone else loves it but it would be hard to trust one again
    HAWG KILLER

Boolit Master
    "I destroyed a brand new never been fired vintage S&W 38 (stupid on my part for using it I know) luckily I was not injured....found that the scale would jump around as much as a grain between charges sometimes (1 grain is alot on a 3gr charge)"

Yep. There it is, THE thing that makes a knot in my guts every time I think of using digiatal sccales to weigh powder. The user is flying on blind trust every time he uses one. Sorry about the loss and happy you weren't hurt.

I don't care how many folks are happy with digitals, nor what percentage of users are happy. I DO CARE about how unhappy the owners of the scales that DON'T work well because it just isn't something they could predict or protect themselves from.

Within tiny and safe limits, only gross operator error will make a reloader type beam scale even appear wrong. And it's not really "wrong" then, the operator is! I'm happy being accountable for my own safety. NOT happy about putting my safety in something I have absolutely no control over. Keep a beam scale clean, keep the knives from getting dinged up or rusty, keep the bearings free of dust and shaft end rub, keep the poise weights in place, level/zero it properly and A BEAM SCALE WILL WORK EVERY TIME IT'S USED!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
    Here you go, the original web post that the author uses for reference. Careful!

http://www.sahuntingrifle.co.za/inde...catid=8&id=336
    Thank you!!

Tidbits like this are wonderful. I really appreciate your time.

I too trust my 505 RCBS beam for powder charges, but I bought the FA digital on sale for 25 dollars and find it very handy for weighing boolits. I've never had a problem with it in my cold, fluorescant lit garage, and I've never changed batteries. Guess I'm living right.

Boolit Master

I bought a pact scale and liked so i bought the dispenser to go with it. both have worked great. I use the scale more than the powder dispenser. I dont flat out baby it but do what the manual says about not leaving it plugged in when not in use and had no probs just plug it in. I dont recalibrate but always throw at least 2 or 3 weight checks first before i start. dont need any warm up time and i have flourecent lights.I think the used to make rcbs scales but not sure best of all pacts made in U.S.A. not comunist china !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I wonder, GSM your remark about fluorscent lights being tough on electronic scales. Could you clarify that for an old man that is thinking about investing? Robert
    Robert:

One of the other forums had a caution about plugging scale power supply in the same outlet as a fluorescent light. Apparently e-scales needs a fairly "clean" power supply.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    I bought a pact scale and liked so i bought the dispenser to go with it. both have worked great. I use the scale more than the powder dispenser. I dont flat out baby it but do what the manual says about not leaving it plugged in when not in use and had no probs just plug it in. I dont recalibrate but always throw at least 2 or 3 weight checks first before i start. dont need any warm up time and i have flourecent lights.I think the used to make rcbs scales but not sure best of all pacts made in U.S.A. not comunist china !!!
    I've been using the Pact scale and dispenser for a few years now and have found it a quick, accurate and trouble free piece of kit, (touch wood). It is possibly a second or so slower than the Chargemaster with some loads and powders but not enough to make me want to change.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

there was some of the little cheapys on feebay I bought one for $10 it has a battery and is lit. It does a good job. I dont use it for powder much but checking case or boolit it is the berrys and cheap

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one of these - first one wouldn't hold tare worth crap - behaved like the zero wandered between weighing 2 consecutive charges. Emailed the manufacturer in Italy and within a week had a new one at no cost and without having to send the old one back.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...m_id=7201&dir=

The replacement has been great - I just wish you could disable the auto-off feature as I'm sometimes too slow to keep up. Kinda a mixed review I know but the one I have now works well and the customer service was great.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    i dont trust them.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Why Not?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

My Ohaus 10-10 sits on a shelf and gathers dust, a LOT of dust.

I've been using the PACT electronic scale, the original model, for well over ten years with perfect satisfaction.

My check of its accuracy is simply the weighing of its powder pan after the scale is calibrated. (I calibrate it at the start of every loading session.) If it ever weighs anything other than 147.8 grains, I'll figure something's wrong. Hasn't happened yet.

There is a learning process to go through before maximum efficiency is achieved, but the scale is such a great aid to my handloading that I would truly hate to give it up.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen